Reload this Page >

Clash of the Choirs on NBC

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-17-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

What has happened to NBC? The network that gave you Cheers, Seinfeld, etc. has become an embarassment.
Old 12-18-07, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flipped to it a few times, expecting to see choirs, but it was only American Idol auditions. I had super-high expectations considering NBC displayed that annoying logo nonstop for the past week (it seemed like a week).
Old 12-18-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How to make an awesome "Clash of the Choirs" show:

Step 1: Assemble choirs.

Step 2: Load choirs onto choir buses

Step 3: Drive the choir buses at high speed onto ramps. If you do it right, the buses should go airborne.

Step 4: Spectacular mid-air bus collision.

Step 5: High five! That was awesome.
Old 12-18-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts
Even if there wasn't a WGA strike, this would still have probably aired since it's considered a "Holiday special."

I'm a fan of Idol, but I'm sick of all these knockoffs where...."You decide America!!" And I'm especially tired of shows with judges whose opinions really don't matter at all since "America decides your fate!!"
Old 12-18-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is only on for this week, right?

What does the winning Choir win?
Old 12-18-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
This is only on for this week, right?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
What does the winning Choir win?
After seeing Nick Lachey promoting it on The TODAY show, it would seem that the "star" and their hometown get some sort of bragging rights and that's about it...

I saw Team Bolton singing "Jingle Bells" on TODAY yesterday morning, and they pretty much sucked. Two different guys were singing the wrong words (c'mon, it's f-ing JINGLE BELLS!)) and mostly cause they weren't looking at their music (I've sung in a choir and the ARRANGEMENTS are tricky even if you THINK you know the words). The second dude who messed up even did an "oopsie" look and covered his month. Ugh.

The show itself was just unwatchable IMHO. I guess NBC is at least looking to get a small taste of some Idol ratings.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-18-07 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-18-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
What has happened to NBC? The network that gave you Cheers, Seinfeld, etc. has become an embarassment.
NBC isn't really an embarrassment; it's just like any other network. CBS, ABC and NBC are all trying the Reality/Game show genre because FOX's American Idol is the highest rated show on TV.

I hate most Reality/Game shows as much as any person here at DVD Talk, but from a business standpoint, the networks are giving the "mainstream public" what they want: mindless garbage.

NBC, IMO, has some of the best shows on TV right now. My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, The Office & Scrubs are 4 (don't watch The Office, but it's a critical darling) of the most critically acclaimed comedies on TV today. All 4 shows have a hardcore fan base, yet they all get mediocre ratings.
Old 12-19-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So we have the general public to blame because they are watching Reality shows and Game shows and obviously think scripted shows are a bit too much to sit through.
Old 12-19-07, 06:28 PM

This show is pure ass. Why is a church choir singing, Garth Brooks's "Friends in Low Places." I just don't understand it...