Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: China - **Season Finale, Sunday, 12/16/07 at 8:00 pm EST**

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Amanda
69.57%
Courtney
4.35%
Denise
21.74%
Todd
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: China - **Season Finale, Sunday, 12/16/07 at 8:00 pm EST**

Old 12-16-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
If I was about 20 years younger, she's definately the one I'd most want to hang around with.
I'm 22 and I think I would have a great time hanging out with her. I know a few girls that are like that and they're fun people.

I thought it would be a final 2 tribal. Didn't last weeks promo promise 3 tribal councils this week?

Well going into the final 3 I thought Amanda was a shoe in but Todd worked the jury. I can't believe he got JR's and James vote. It was a clutch performance by him and for that alone he deserved the million.

Next season sounds interesting. I don't watch much Survivor (saw the end of Cook Island last season and then you would have to go back to the 4th season I think) so I won't recognize most of the former castaways.
Old 12-17-07, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Todd's a worthy champion. And James shows his class - he's no Bitter Betty, to be sure

I loved the one shot the camera-men did: they were zoomed in on a stick insect crawling up a tree, only to pan over to catch Courtney walking by
Old 12-17-07, 05:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked how PG called out Amanda for performance in the tribal council with the 'doe eyes', i noticed she was acting so distraught b/c Denise was voted off and suspected it was just to work the jury...that defintely became clear when she threw that hissy fit b/c Todd made her look bad in front of the jury
Old 12-17-07, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDogg
I liked how PG called out Amanda for performance in the tribal council with the 'doe eyes', i noticed she was acting so distraught b/c Denise was voted off and suspected it was just to work the jury...that defintely became clear when she threw that hissy fit b/c Todd made her look bad in front of the jury
I thought PG was full of it. Let the poker player do the reading of faces. He certainly reminds us often enough of how good he is at it.

Amanda's performance was bad, but to analyse how she was looking is utterly silly. It's always tougher mentally for the last person to win immunity even though you are in the final 3, because you sent the last person home so close to them getting a chance to win and then you have the added burden of wondering if you are making the right choice or not (Amanda didn't). And all the major lobbying that goes on and the constant second guessing that we never really see.

You come to the final TC totally more stressed than the others. Should Courtnry have been called out for looking so happy and calm? If you analyzed her, she looked convinced she was going win (no way) or as if she didn't have a care in the world (This one). And she nearly put on a jury performance good enough to beat 2 people who clearly outplayed her and definately out-worked her.

And as far as her "hissy-fit" goes, Denise saying that Amanda had her back at TC is a total no-no. You want someone to have your back and then you basically call them out at TC in front of everyone about promises that are supposed to be kept between the two parties. If I really did have her back and it had been earlier in the game (I am still convinced Todd needed to be voted out and not Denise), I would have sent Denise home just for putting me on the spot like that. Todd took total advantage of that to play it up in front of the jury, making Amanda look bad.

Now, I'm a fan who believes short of hurting someone that playing the game "dirty" is not a bad thing, so good for Todd for taking the shot at scoring some points. But it would be still fair and reasonable to expect to get called out about lobbying the jury while you are still supposedly in the alliance and where you're typically not expecting anymore twists of the knife until the final TC, where you "gots to do, what you gots to do." I don't think it would have been considered a hissy fit if a male had called out another male for the same thing. He took a "cheap" shot, good for him, but just the same, it was exactly what Amanda said it was.

Of course, who at time could have predicted how poorly she'd do with the final TC, where even that attempt and getting some early leverage with the jury ended up not even being needed because his performance at the final TC was plenty good enough to beat Amanda.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-17-07 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 06:35 AM
Suspended

First of all, ease up on the essay man, it ain't that serious...

Amanda was tryin to build up the "good girl" image of herself and she got rightfully called out by PG and to a lesser extent Todd, she was tryin to appear sympathetic to the jury...she did it last week too convincing PG she was gona make a move and than actin sad when she voted her out as planned...it was her way of ensuring votes on the jury but it backfired
Old 12-17-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jean Robert being left speechless by Todd and James reaction: He Shut him up!! was priceless

I'm glad to see Todd win. He did most of the dirty work for Amanda and was up front about it. He played a great gamet strategy wise and picked the right people to aligne himself with

Glad to see James get the 100k (popular vote). He's probablythe most popular guy since big hippie Rupert and he's genuinely a nice decent person

Even though Denise was kind of annyoying at the end she should NOT have been fired by her school. What's up with that??. Glad to see Mark Burnett chip in 50k

Agreed Amanda looked better in China for some reason. Maybe it's because she had less clothes on and a constant blurr on her ass
Old 12-17-07, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm 22 and I think I would have a great time hanging out with her. I know a few girls that are like that and they're fun people.
You don't have to rub it in.

This portion not directed at you:

Seriously, so she was a big-time smart-ass. It was clear that it wasn't malicious and just part of her personality. I too had a lot of friends like that at that age and could easily have seen myself saying what Courtney said.

In the smart-ass mind, you're just being yourself and being funny and letting whatever thought comes into your mouth fly right out without any filter.

When you do it on tv, clearly, you have to either tone it down or be willing to take a lot of abuse.

I honestly believe and based on the answers Denise and Courtney gave that Courtney was mortified about what she said in her smart-ass mode and reached out to Denise immediately to apologize.

I also think you can generally tell when someone really believes something and when someone's just a smart-ass. I don't think Courtney wanted to offend anyone. Maybe JR.

I didn't like Denise, but I think you should respect someone a lot who works hard to help her family, whether it's as a lunch lady, a janitor, a waitress, or a lawyer. As much a young smart-ass from NYC can respect a person so different from herself, I think Courtney respected Denise.

I just couldn't believe the school made her take the job of janitor because the kids where excited to see her. How long would that have lasted with kids? And what's so wrong with kids being happy at lunch-time?
Old 12-17-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
How in the hell was PG one of the 3 most popular survivors? Ugh. Other than win 2 Chinese trivia-based challenges, all she did was say and do stupid stuff. I was wondering who would look more stupid at the final TC, her or Jean Robert. I'm not sure who won.
Old 12-17-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BigDogg
First of all, ease up on the essay man, it ain't that serious...

Amanda was tryin to build up the "good girl" image of herself and she got rightfully called out by PG and to a lesser extent Todd, she was tryin to appear sympathetic to the jury...she did it last week too convincing PG she was gona make a move and than actin sad when she voted her out as planned...it was her way of ensuring votes on the jury but it backfired
Ease up on the complaints on the length of my posts man, I type more than you, it ain't that serious.

All you're doing is guessing. It's pure speculation, which would be fine if you weren't convinced that you were right and anyone, therefore, who has an opposing view must be wrong.

I thought Amanda was genuinely looking the way she was feeling. And all I was commenting on was someone judging the way she looked, as if that was a ploy to get votes. I don't buy it and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try it. Acting like a victim to the jury, yes, but just trying to look doey-eyed in hopes of getting votes. I didn't agree.

It is possible to be a cut throat player or make cut throat moves and not feel good about it. Although I certainly would agree that during game-play people actually do play up how sad they are to try and counter the damage done from voting someone off. I simply don't think her facial expressions was a planned move to get votes.

End of essay.
Old 12-17-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
How in the hell was PG one of the 3 most popular survivors? Ugh. Other than win 2 Chinese trivia-based challenges, all she did was say and do stupid stuff. I was wondering who would look more stupid at the final TC, her or Jean Robert. I'm not sure who won.
I agree. I didn't think she deserved all the attacks she got here, much like Courtney, but top 3 most popular? It must have been because she was perceived as the underdog who lasted the longest. Honestly, I didn't understand Denise being in the top 3 either. I certainly thought Amanda would have gotten enough of the male vote to be in there and James was probably the easiest call.
Old 12-17-07, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats to Todd but get a diffferent haircut! Courtney looks much better with meat on her bones!
Old 12-17-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I thought that was weird too. She came off as a complete idiot in the game and had many an opporitunity to get herself in a power position and blew it every time. I'm surprised it wasn't Erik or Frosti. They both came off as good guys that you didn't want to see eliminated.
Old 12-17-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Didn't last weeks promo promise 3 tribal councils this week?
Yeah it did. And I guess there were 3. Final 4, final 3, and the live reading of votes.
Old 12-17-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Todd was a good player and deserved to win, I guess Amanda should have brought Denise after all. I don't think the Jury was interested in Denise's sob story. They seemed more interested in rewarding good game play
Old 12-17-07, 08:56 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by magiccmom
That little virginity segment was probably the most tasteless bit I have ever seen.
Seriously. That was REALLY ridiculous, awkward, uncalled for. I though Erik handled a class-less question w/class though.

Don't quite get all the slams on Denise: Getting demoted from a lunch lady job to one cleaning toilets is pretty much a bummer in my book, and props to Burnett from giving her $50K.
Old 12-17-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts
I really hate the way they give away the result of tribal councils in the episode titles.

Wanted to see Amanda win, but Todd is a deserving winner also, it's sad that Courtney actually got more votes than Amanda though.
I laughed my ass off when they showed Jean Robert while Courtney started her speech.
And I thought it was pitiful the way Denise kept trying to lay a guilt trip on Amanda to make her take her along to the final TC.

Last edited by Maxflier; 12-17-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i can't believe Todd made his way to the top (i hate back stabbers, but in the final three, all three of them are back stabbers)... the most compelling statement was calling JR the "most threating competitor." Todd knows his stuffs... Amanda has no chance against him "acting-wise." Amanda and Courtney didn't really think through carefully... Tagging Todd along and hope that the jury find him distasteful for all of the lies and stuffs was a mistake. Well, they should have review themselves first, especially Amanda (no wonder her plan got backfired, a bit thanks to Todd for spinning things around).
Old 12-17-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Todd was a good player and deserved to win, I guess Amanda should have brought Denise after all. I don't think the Jury was interested in Denise's sob story. They seemed more interested in rewarding good game play
Yeah. I thought when asked by Erik what her biggest risk in the game was, she should have said taking Todd into the final 3 instead of Denise because she thought that she had a better chance against Denise, but felt that Todd was more deserving of the million, or that her original alliance was with Todd, and she wouldn't backstab her original partner, no matter what. It might not have been true for her, but it would have played better with the jury, I think.

And I think every one on the reunion show kinda missed what Todd actually was saying about J-R. It wasn't that he felt that J-R was a bigger threat to win than James, it was J-R was playing HIS game and Todd wanted to remain the "mastermind". Todd could have chosen to clear that up at the reunion, but instead took the opportunity to make one final dig at J-R saying he "played him again".

Last edited by Decker; 12-17-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-17-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
Seriously. That was REALLY ridiculous, awkward, uncalled for. I though Erik handled a class-less question w/class though.
Even worse was the comment to Courtney, pretty much asking her flat-out if she was anorexic or bulemic Class-less indeed

Originally Posted by uteotw
Don't quite get all the slams on Denise: Getting demoted from a lunch lady job to one cleaning toilets is pretty much a bummer in my book, and props to Burnett from giving her $50K.
Her "woe is me" pity-appeal at the end really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Especially considering how just a few episodes ago she was going on about blessed she felt about her life.
Old 12-17-07, 09:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
brainee, dead on. I thought both of those comments were out of line. and courtney really did look upset when jeff said she had put on weight since the show (i still think she has an eating disorder, but she looked better).

along those tastless lines, how come jeff didn't go into more detail on denise's haircut? she said she keeps it long in the back for her husband, so he can still see her as a woman. so is he only looking at her from behind? Bow-chicka-wow-wow! that's a great mental picture...

and as soon as Todd answered that way to JR's question, i KNEW he had his vote. He played to JR's ego perfectly. Amanda was totally underwhleming in the final tribal.
Old 12-17-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Courtney actually grew on my as the season progressed and I was rooting for her to win. But her comment about Denise "sucking at life" was just lame. She's a waitress for crying out loud!
Old 12-17-07, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Howiefan
Rumored list of the all-star contestants on the next season:

Spoiler:
Eliza Orlins - Vanuatu
Jonathan Penner - Cook Isl.
Yau-Man Chan - Fiji
Jon Dalton - Pearl Isl.
James Clement - China
Ami Cusack - Vanuatu
Ozzy Lusth - Cook Isl.
Amanda Kimmel - China
Parvati Shallow - Cook Isl.
Cirie Fields - Exile Isl.
Spoiler:
some good eye-candy, with eliza (although she's a butterface), Ami (a new excuse to look up those playboy pictures, but would have rather seen Dolly), Amanda, and Parvati. Why the hell is Cirie back? I'd rather see Cerie from 30 Rock.

As for the guys, i like all of them, but was hoping that Terry would be back. Ozzy is my favorite challenge participant ever. there better be some water challenges. which could be a problem for James. he said last night he hated swimming. Ozzy and James are physical threats. Johhny fairplay, Jonathan, and yau-man are scheming threats.
Old 12-17-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Courtney actually grew on my as the season progressed and I was rooting for her to win. But her comment about Denise "sucking at life" was just lame. She's a waitress for crying out loud!
Yeah, and apparantly, according to Courtney, her life revolves around going to bars. Wow, great life.
Old 12-17-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Spoiler:
some good eye-candy, with eliza (although she's a butterface), Ami (a new excuse to look up those playboy pictures, but would have rather seen Dolly), Amanda, and Parvati. Why the hell is Cirie back? I'd rather see Cerie from 30 Rock.

As for the guys, i like all of them, but was hoping that Terry would be back. Ozzy is my favorite challenge participant ever. there better be some water challenges. which could be a problem for James. he said last night he hated swimming. Ozzy and James are physical threats. Johhny fairplay, Jonathan, and yau-man are scheming threats.
Spoiler:
Ugh. Parvati and her blank, retard look is back. Could have done without her.
Old 12-17-07, 10:06 AM

as for the fans vs. favorites angle next season - isn't pretty much everyone who applies for the show a "fan"? I guess burnett is done with the whole ignorning applicants and just recruiting actors and actresses stage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.