Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
Model Gemma Chan will be playing a character named Mia Bennett in the second "Doctor Who" special which has now been confirmed will air during Christmas. Also, former "Neighbours" star Peter O’Brian says he begins filming next month to play a villain in as part of David Tennant’s final storyline. The Christmas airdate for special two was confirmed in the latest issue of "Doctor Who Magazine" by series writer Gareth Roberts. Roberts says that "the Easter Special is pretty much all we’ve got until Christmas." And rounding out this week’s "Doctor Who" news, The Daily Mirror is reporting that The Tardis will be undergoing a complete redesign in time for the arrival of Matt Smith as the new doctor. BBC bosses have apparently given the go ahead to "completely refit the interior for a radical new look." They will also improve the quality of the exterior. The decision was made by new show runner Stephen Moffat, who wants to distance himself from previous show runner Russel T. Davies.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/07/sci-...ctor-who-more/

That's a lot less Who than I was expecting for 2009.
Old 03-12-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

That makes me sad.
Old 03-12-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

WTH? Does that mean the final two will air in 2010 prior to a spring start of S5?

Also, why redesign the set to such a great extent?! I know "change" is a constant with Who, but why so soon? Did the set change that much back during the original run? It's only been on for four seasons, and it's not as if we've been sitting with the same set for 2 decades. I like the current set because it feels odd and alien while retaining familiarity that can fit with a new or old look. It's universal to the actor.
Old 03-12-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very weak.
Old 03-12-09, 11:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like Moffat is going for a full reboot here.
Old 03-12-09, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
WTH? Does that mean the final two will air in 2010 prior to a spring start of S5?

Also, why redesign the set to such a great extent?! I know "change" is a constant with Who, but why so soon? Did the set change that much back during the original run? It's only been on for four seasons, and it's not as if we've been sitting with the same set for 2 decades. I like the current set because it feels odd and alien while retaining familiarity that can fit with a new or old look. It's universal to the actor.
I can't remember where I read this, but the reasoning behind the Tardis changes is to make the Tardis more Hi-Def friendly.
Old 03-12-09, 11:59 AM

Wait -- they're finally going HD?!?
Old 03-12-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I can't remember where I read this, but the reasoning behind the Tardis changes is to make the Tardis more Hi-Def friendly.
Also Moffat wants to be able to get the camera around the set. The current design is kinda locked in.
Old 03-12-09, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Good. I dislike the current design, especially the rusty color scheme.
Old 03-12-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be nice if they could explore more of the Tardis too.
Old 03-12-09, 01:04 PM

I want to see the return of the vending machine and the weird beds from the William Hartnell days!
Old 04-02-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcLlpH0emEg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcLlpH0emEg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sheesh. First new Who in nearly 5 months and we end up with a "Midnight" retread!
Old 04-02-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07

I always thought it was odd that they just showed the one room of the Tardis. Even on the old show, they would show mutible rooms.
Old 04-02-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Chew
Sheesh. First new Who in nearly 5 months and we end up with a "Midnight" retread!
It's frustrating, but given my major guy crush on David Tennant, any Doctor Who, retread or not, is something to which I look forward.
Old 04-02-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
It's frustrating, but given my major guy crush on David Tennant, any Doctor Who, retread or not, is something to which I look forward.
It does look like a bottle show.
Old 04-02-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a strong Pitch Black vibe from the promo. Have they announced an air date yet?
Old 04-02-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
I got a strong Pitch Black vibe from the promo. Have they announced an air date yet?
I believe it's an Easter special, so I would guess next week Sunday.
Old 04-03-09, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The BBC Press Office has stated that the Doctor Who Easter special, "Planet of the Dead", will air on BBC One on Saturday, April 11 from 6:45 to 7:45 pm. The Saturday date was posted last week on the Press Office's website, and subsequently withdrawn; it has now been reposted. The episode will also be broadcast on the BBC HD channel.

A trailer for the episode is now available on the BBC Website.

According to this month's issue of Doctor Who Magazine the title of the next in the series of specials will be revealed at the end of Planet of the Dead, along with a short trail. The second special, directed by Graeme Harper, features the Doctor plunged into a world of terror. It is expected to air in the autumn.

I can't wait. I've been in serious Who withdrawals since December.
Old 04-03-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh....and a Doctor Who spin-off note:

First K9 series trailer

A preliminary trailer for the forthcoming K9 series has been released on YouTube and can be seen below.

The trailer was made to promote the series at the MIPTV festival in Cannes. Series co-creator and associate producer Paul Tams notes that "All music and titles and K9's voice are for demo purposes only and [are] not the actual voice, etc. that will be used in the programme." Tams also says that monsters designed for the series remain "under wraps".

The trailer shows the first glimpses of the redesigned K9 in action, as well as revealing the series' human characters. Filming for K9 continues in Australia through April; the BBC is not involved in the series' production. K9 is expected to air on Australia's Network Ten and UK digital channel Jetix/Disney XD in the autumn.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2S0jOFRmAOc&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2S0jOFRmAOc&color1=0x6699&color2=0x54abd6&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 04-03-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

My co-worker just got back from a trip and was given a Prius as her car. I said yeah, they're quite roomy - much more than you'd think looking at the car. Her response? "Yeah, it's bigger on the inside."
Old 04-03-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Hybrid Time Machine?
Old 04-03-09, 09:00 AM

Crap, I'm supposed to be at an Easter Vigil mass that night (my wife is converting to Catholicism). But sometimes, you have to make priorities -- I'm sure she'll understand.
Old 04-03-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Chew

Actually it screams Pitch Black more than anything else. Oh well, its scifi, one can always spin a cliche, retread but find some fresh twist... at least, lets hope that is what they do.
Old 04-07-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wilf Returns

Doctor Who executive producer Russell T Davies has confirmed that Bernard Cribbins will be returning to the series.

Speaking this morning on BBC Breakfast Davies said Cribbins would be the Doctor's companion in David Tennant's last two episodes, due to be shown at Christmas 2009.

Bernard Cribbins first played Wilfred Mott, Donna's Grandad, in the 2007 Christmas special and throughout Season 4. His return was expected after members of the Doctor Who Forum photographed Cribbins on the Doctor Who set.

Also on the programme Davies confirmed that Saturdays special, Planet of the Dead was only completed late Monday night. He said he expected the next special to be shown "Novemberish".
Old 04-07-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guess we shouldn't expect a whole lot of running in those episodes then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.