Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Old 01-04-09, 10:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand, I think its better to go with a lesser-known actor as they bring less baggage to the role. On the other, I wish they'd gone older.

That said, I trust Moffat on this, and am more than willing to give this guy a fair shake. Apparently, he was on an episode of Secret Diary of a Call Girl, but admittedly I don't remember him.
Old 01-04-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I get on the computer for some lazy Sunday afternoon internettin' and find out they announced the next Doc!?!?

Well, I've said I hoped they would cast an older character actor, so much for that. Knew none of the buzz names being bandied about were realistic and it'd be some Brit guy I'd be clueless about. My greatest fear was producers going either too heroic or too pretty boy. Have no idea about him as an actor but he's got the right oddish looks and in the interview I saw his hand gesturing had a very Golblumesque quality- a slight but promising sign IMO.

In the end, aside from the writing, it will all come down to his acting chops and take on the character. The key I think, is to adsorb the main qualities other actors brought to the role while not emphasizing some signature that other Doc's were known for, particularity the last guy to play the Doc. Like, for instance, the T Baker-Davison and Davison-C Baker changeovers (wildly eccentric-to-almost bland & stuffy... bland & stuffy-to-arrogant & abrasive).

That was a real problem to me with the Who relaunch. Eccleson and Tennant more or less played a similar smiley and affable Doc who switched into grandstanding hero when needed. There was absolutely no 180 between their approach. On that end, this kid and the producers should think of going in character directions like aloof, world-weary, maybe even paranoid*, stuff like that, take an angle that hasnt quite been played to the hilt previously and is totally different from Tennat.

One things for sure, if they let this kid come out all commercial pandering, swashbuckling, and charming it up for pin-up pages, I'll puke.

*You know, like having the most youthful, freshest-faced actor play the Doc as kinda' bored or tired after all these lifetimes. That would be neat.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 01-04-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nickee
My guess is that they introduced him because filming for series 5 is supposed to start in the next couple of months and they knew people would being seeing him on set.
They are starting this Summer so he has about 6 months to prepare or so he said in one of his interviews.
Just because he is young does not mean they are going to make him a teen idle.
Old 01-04-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
Just because he is young does not mean they are going to make him a teen idle.
All teens are idle, but only some are idols.
Old 01-04-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
I watched the Confidential episode. I found it interesting how both Davies and Moffat were aglow of practically all Doctors 1-8, whereas I felt Tennant was a little more critical if you read between the line.

Anyway, I do like some of the oddness that Smith has about him. I feel like he'll play the role (within the scripts) as an essentric braniac prodigy with an old soul. However, maybe that's too close to how Tennant has played the role.

As a new person to the Who universe I was sad to see Ecclestone go since he grew on my over the course of the first year. It made me feel a little torn since I warmed to Tennant from the start and he has just become better with time. However, I feel like I'm going to have a difficult time giving Smith a fair chance due to my like for Tennant. I'll likely like him, but even if he is "the best" I'm not sure I'll buy it coming right after Tennant.

If the press and fans are critical of him I wonder if he'll only do two years and then call it quits.
Old 01-04-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
As a new person to the Who universe I was sad to see Ecclestone go since he grew on my over the course of the first year. It made me feel a little torn since I warmed to Tennant from the start and he has just become better with time. However, I feel like I'm going to have a difficult time giving Smith a fair chance due to my like for Tennant. I'll likely like him, but even if he is "the best" I'm not sure I'll buy it coming right after Tennant.

If the press and fans are critical of him I wonder if he'll only do two years and then call it quits.
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the Nu Who era. Back in the day, a new Doctor popped up and that was that. You eventually get use to him and he "becomes" the Doctor. Then he announces that he's leaving and you start again.
Old 01-05-09, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Can't comment on the new Doctor, as I don't know anything about him. However, we watched "The Next Doctor" last night and enjoyed it very much. Good mix of action, drama and silliness. That steampunk robot clomping through London was terrific!
Old 01-05-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Doctor Who Series 4 (BBC) General Discussion [includes spoilers]

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in the Nu Who era. Back in the day, a new Doctor popped up and that was that. You eventually get use to him and he "becomes" the Doctor. Then he announces that he's leaving and you start again.
Well, it traumatized me!!!!! As a kid, I had no idea about the regeneration thing and when they went from Baker to Davison I freakin' balled my eyes out. I hated the Davison's run for a long time because of that (now I just dislike them because his take was so dry + the writing largely blew chunks- until his final season that is).

I think the real worry is that the New Who era is much more commercially minded and so self consciously pandering to a wider audience and that has kinda' bled into the character. Just like the failed Fox relaunch, they are much more prone to making him likable and even romantic. Its hard for me to imagine them taking this new guy and allowing him to be, you know, brusque, snobby, or more oddly alien. Like I said, I think they need to do a 180 from the Tennant take, but I doubt they will.
Old 01-05-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the confidential. Nothing about this new guy makes me confident he will do well, but like others have said I'll wait and see.
Old 01-06-09, 02:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
I think the real worry is that the New Who era is much more commercially minded and so self consciously pandering to a wider audience and that has kinda' bled into the character. Just like the failed Fox relaunch, they are much more prone to making him likable and even romantic. Its hard for me to imagine them taking this new guy and allowing him to be, you know, brusque, snobby, or more oddly alien.
I have similar concerns.

Back in the day Colin Baker began by playing the character in a rather "spikey" manner which I thought was pretty good but, because of internal/BBC politics, the show was shelved for a while and CB was unavailable at the end of the hiatus. If they aren't going to have a seasoned/character actor in the role then markedly quirky (and dropping all the romantic tosh) could be the way to go.
Old 01-06-09, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have that concern too. I don't think they are going to take the Davison route of having him be young but with an old soul, not after all the work they've done to make him a young, sexy, romantic lead.

That reminds me. During the confidential they had a few montages but the only bit that made me rewind was the gloriously gratuitous shot panning up from Peri's bikini. The fact that Davison never even gave her a second look really showed how alien he was.
Old 01-06-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I have that concern too. I don't think they are going to take the Davison route of having him be young but with an old soul, not after all the work they've done to make him a young, sexy, romantic lead.

That reminds me. During the confidential they had a few montages but the only bit that made me rewind was the gloriously gratuitous shot panning up from Peri's bikini. The fact that Davison never even gave her a second look really showed how alien he was.
I don't know if I'd agree with that. While they have certainly played up the fast pace and some sexyness, they have also certainly played up scenes over S3 and 4 with Tennant that indicate his true age and what he has been through. It's like the camera freezes and you're looking at this war weary and tired man. They are actually some of my favorite scenes that I think Tennant pulls off so well and I will certainly miss them.
Old 01-06-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by benedict
I have similar concerns.

Back in the day Colin Baker began by playing the character in a rather "spikey" manner which I thought was pretty good but, because of internal/BBC politics, the show was shelved for a while and CB was unavailable at the end of the hiatus. If they aren't going to have a seasoned/character actor in the role then markedly quirky (and dropping all the romantic tosh) could be the way to go.
Colin wasn't unavailable. He was fired (because of internal politics). And he did come back after the hiatus for the Trial of a Time Lord season. Everything turned out as well as can be excepted and the show was given another season.....without Colin.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-06-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-06-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Colin Baker was my least favorite doctor.
Old 01-06-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Well, it traumatized me!!!!! As a kid, I had no idea about the regeneration thing and when they went from Baker to Davison I freakin' balled my eyes out. I hated the Davison's run for a long time because of that (now I just dislike them because his take was so dry + the writing largely blew chunks- until his final season that is).
Maybe it's just me then. The first Doctor Who story I saw in it's entirety was The Five Doctors back in '83 so maybe it geared me to accept that each Doctor's time is limited. Watching the show on PBS (from the Third Doctor to the Seventh), regeneration was just a part of the show history that I had read about from various books or Starlog.

Emotionally, the first regeneration that had any impact for me was the Fox movie because it was "new" and happening in the now. I stifled a tear for McCoy and again for Eccleston during the new series.

I'm probably gonna bawl when it's Tennant's turn.
Old 01-06-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Steven Moffet is a lifelong fan who's given us some of the best DW stories ever. I have faith that he's not going to let us down.
Old 01-06-09, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Steven Moffet is a lifelong fan who's given us some of the best DW stories ever. I have faith that he's not going to let us down.
As long as the new Doctor isn't called "Oliver" I think I'm okay with it.
Old 01-06-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first Doctor Who story I saw in it's entirety was The Five Doctors back in '83 so maybe it geared me to accept that each Doctor's time is limited.
I'll bet a lot of people can say the same thing: my very first Who was "The Five Doctors" as well.
Old 01-06-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched the confidential. Nothing about this new guy makes me confident he will do well, but like others have said I'll wait and see.
And why would it? Its an interview and they don't start filming his episodes till June.
Watch him and then judge him.

I know Steven Moffet won't let us down.
Old 01-07-09, 03:20 AM
Mod Emeritus

Colin wasn't unavailable. He was fired (because of internal politics).
Your memory may well be better than mine on this point. Long after these events, I've since read somewhere that - in spite of being dropped - he was offered the chance to do a regeneration episode but turned it down; possibly in anger at the way the show seemed to have been "sabotaged" during his time as the doctor. I do recall Michael Grade being a bit of an *rse about the show.

Anyway, my point remains that I'd prefer an irascible, unpredictable Doctor to a "heart-throb" type.

And I'm hoping that the remaining specials are not used by Davies to leave such an indelible imprint on the Whoniverse so as to tie up his successor. I didn't see the special Confidential episode that sparked off this discussion but it does seem as if Davies has avoided interfering with Moffat's work until now, so....
Old 01-07-09, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
And why would it? Its an interview and they don't start filming his episodes till June.
Watch him and then judge him.

I know Steven Moffet won't let us down.
Not just the interview, but they showed several clips of his previous work. Granted they were just clips, but I didn't see anything extraordinary in them. I think part of it was how much the other people on the program built him up and I didn't see any off it. But like you said, it's just an interview (and some clips), and I am reserving judgment.

Unless they keep that ridiculous hair. Then it's .
Old 01-07-09, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Colin Baker

The Valeyard is right. Basically Colin had one season with bad ratings then the BBC [Michael Grade] put the show on hiatus for over a year. The BBC then commissioned basically a half-season which was the Trial of a Time Lord series. That series was plagued by production problems. Robert Holmes died, leaving an incomplete script. Series script editor Eric Saward left mid-production after years of fighting with Nathan-Turner. The end result was that the shortened series did even worse ratings than the previous year and Grade forced Baker out.

I've seen it reported since that Colin was willing to return for a regeneration story but was unable to work out the particulars with the producers. That might be true or just a more pleasant revision. At the time Baker gave a scathing interview to The Sun headlined "Why I'll Never Forgive Gutless Grade by Axed Dr Who" in which he said:

[BBC Director of Programmes Michael Grade] didn't want me to say I had been fired. My boss, Jonathan Powell, the Head of Series and Serials said that the BBC would stand by any statement I made. He strongly suggested to me that I should claim to be leaving for personal reasons. They actually wanted me to come back and do four more episodes, just so I could be killed off and fit in with their plans! I told them what they could do with their offer.
Old 01-07-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Colin Baker

The Valeyard is right. Basically Colin had one season with bad ratings then the BBC [Michael Grade] put the show on hiatus for over a year. The BBC then commissioned basically a half-season which was the Trial of a Time Lord series. That series was plagued by production problems. Robert Holmes died, leaving an incomplete script. Series script editor Eric Saward left mid-production after years of fighting with Nathan-Turner. The end result was that the shortened series did even worse ratings than the previous year and Grade forced Baker out.

I've seen it reported since that Colin was willing to return for a regeneration story but was unable to work out the particulars with the producers. That might be true or just a more pleasant revision. At the time Baker gave a scathing interview to The Sun headlined "Why I'll Never Forgive Gutless Grade by Axed Dr Who" in which he said:

That's pretty much it. They offered him one more story but he wanted to do one more season which ended with his regeneration. Neither budged and Colin gave them the bird.
Old 01-12-09, 11:40 AM

Matt Smith was on episode 6 of the first season of Secret Diary of a Call Girl. I couldn't remember him, so I pulled it up via Showtime On Demand. He plays the dude who Hannah has a one-night stand with during her hiatus from hooking. He does a good job, but there's nothing there that makes me stand up and shout "HELLA YEAH, cast HIM as the Doctor!!!"
Old 01-21-09, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A possible new companion:

Spoiler:
'Doctor Who' Finds Its Bionic Companion
By ALAN STANLEY BLAIR
Jan-20-2009
ShareThis

Forget Catherine Zeta Jones, the BBC's signature time travelling series has finally found its companion: former "Bionic Woman" star Michelle Ryan.

At least that's what the latest reports are.

Starring alongside the youngest Doctor in the show's history, Ryan will provide the human element to the series and serve as the entry point for the "Doctor Who" audience. No official announcement has come from the BBC, however the tabloid newspaper claims that confirmation is imminent.

"Michelle's been in secret talks with BBC bosses," a source told the Sunday Mirror. "They are likely to announce her as Doctor Who's new assistant very soon. She is perfect for the role. She is good looking and the right age to star alongside Matt. Everyone agrees they look great together and reckon fans will think they're the perfect team, too."

Although she has a handful of genre roles to her name (including "Bionic Woman" and the new BBC family drama, "Merlin") is was the soap series "EastEnders" that initially launched her career.

"The BBC launched Michelle's acting career as Zoe Slater in 'EastEnders' and she will be thrilled to be back with them in such a legendary role," the source added. "It's an incredible opportunity for her and even though she's had a lot of success already she is still young and at the start of her career."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.