DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   CBS considering airing edited version of "Dexter" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/519158-cbs-considering-airing-edited-version-dexter.html)

DJariya 12-04-07 05:27 PM

CBS considering airing edited version of "Dexter"

This seems to be pretty much a done deal, but there is no date and timeslot yet. They are also looking at re-purposing The Tudors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5d7e995ea3a29c

The breakout hit "Dexter" and other Showtime series could soon land on sibling broadcast network CBS if the writers strike stretches into the new year.

CBS Corp. president and CEO Leslie Moonves said at an investor conference Tuesday in New York that CBS is planning to repurpose some Showtime programs.

"Dexter is probably the first one to go on -- with some edits," he told reporters afterwards. "It fits with our crime shows."

"Dexter," a racy critical and ratings hit for Showtime, stars Michael C. Hall as a Miami police forensics expert who moonlights as a vigilante serial killer.

CBS, of course, is the leader in the forensic crime drama genre with the "CSI" franchise.

Moonves didn't specify when "Dexter" would launch on CBS beyond saying it should come "in the near future."

Now in its second season on Showtime, "Dexter" has broken ratings records for the premium cable network. Its Nov. 18 episode ranked as the most watched in Showtime's history.

The broadcast networks have been exploring the idea of repurposing series from their sister cable networks as strike contingency.

NBC has been rumored to be looking at a potential a second window on the network for such NBC Uni cable series as USA's "Monk" and "Burn Notice" and Sci Fi's "Battlestar Galactica." NBC already exercised its option to repurpose "Law & Order: Criminal Intent," which moved from the broadcast network to USA in the fall.

In addition to "Dexter," CBS also might consider Showtime's racy period drama "The Tudors," which was originally developed for CBS, and critically praised comedy "Weeds," about a weed-peddling soccer mom. However, both will need heavy editing to make it to broadcast primetime.

jonw9 12-04-07 05:46 PM

As long as i get my regular Dexter, than I don't care. But it seems like it would be boring, like watching edited 6FU.

wmansir 12-04-07 05:49 PM

Can't wait to see how they clean up Deb's dialog.

Deftones 12-04-07 07:22 PM

I wouldn't watch it, but I'm all for the show getting more fans so it gets as many seasons as possible.

dadaluholla 12-04-07 08:18 PM

I remember they showed the majority of the first season on one of the free DirecTV channels before Season Two premiered. They were all "clean" versions. It didn't work too well for me.

GoldenJCJ 12-04-07 11:45 PM

I say let them go all the way and air an edited version of Deadwood.

bluetoast 12-04-07 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I wouldn't watch it, but I'm all for the show getting more fans so it gets as many seasons as possible.

I wouldn't want as many seasons as possible...I'd want enough for them to tell their complete story though.

redrum 12-04-07 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

haha.

Patman 12-05-07 01:08 AM

Cornshucker!!!

Jeremy517 12-05-07 01:24 AM

Here you go:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oi1BcouEmio&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Oi1BcouEmio&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

DRG 12-05-07 09:36 AM

It'll be tough to show some of those crime scenes I imagine. I know CSI gets away with some gruesome stuff for broadcast TV, but
Spoiler:
naked hookers chopped into pieces
might be pushing it. :)

Jadzia 12-05-07 09:40 AM

Other than the gore, this show isn't that dirty. Not much swearing or sex. And CSI is pretty dang gruesome. I could see this on network TV, although it is too good.

Gizmo 12-05-07 10:40 AM

Sounds good to me.

Clean up some words, some boobies...should be fine.

starseed1981 12-05-07 10:52 AM

Good...anything that grows it's viewship is fine by me.

Vipper II 12-05-07 11:34 AM

That means we probably won't be getting great lines like "Pardon my tits."

bluetoast 12-05-07 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
That means we probably won't be getting great lines like "Pardon my tits."

We will...they won't. -wink-

Vipper II 12-05-07 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Can't wait to see how they clean up Deb's dialog.

Doakes' is pretty bad, too.

Merkin Muffley 12-05-07 03:34 PM

Great idea! I just love those three minute webisode things!

HE Pennypacker 12-05-07 04:05 PM

Both Weeds and Dexter have rather dark premises behind them that non-cable viewers don't often see. A weed-peddling suburban mom and a vigilante serial killer? Even if you clean up the dialogue and scenes, aren't the premises behind the shows themselves rather too much for CBS? I'm aware of CSI and other shows like it, but they don't usually have a serial killer as the protagonist. The drug backbone of Weeds would seem even less likely to air on these OTA stations.

DJariya 01-07-08 02:57 PM

It's now a done deal. CBS is airing Season 1 of Dexter on Sunday nights starting February 17th.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-cb...news-headlines

Starting in February, previously aired episodes of Showtime's serial killer drama will be moving to CBS in a heavily edited form.

The premiere of the first season of "Dexter" will launch on Sunday, Feb. 17 at 10 p.m. ET, with the remainder of the debut season airing over the next 11 Sundays.

"We're excited to work with our corporate cousins at Showtime on this unique programming opportunity," says CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. "'Dexter' is a high-quality, compelling series that will be new and original programming for most CBS viewers. It's also a great match with our existing lineup, affording us the opportunity to promote this critically decorated series in CBS's top-rated crime dramas."

The corporate siblings boast that this is the first time that a full season of a premium cable drama series has made the transition to network TV (CBS previously aired an edited episode of Showtime's "Brotherhood" in a primetime slot).

"We're thrilled to have the chance to expose 'Dexter' to a wider audience on CBS," says Showtime Entertainment President Robert Greenblatt. "I think it will be very compatible with their lineup as well as be a great opportunity to promote our brand on a platform that reaches every home in America."

There has been speculation that CBS may recruit edited episodes of several additional Showtime hits to fill space during the writers strike, with "Dexter" being the logical starting point due to both its critical acclaim and its status as Showtime's most successful original program.

"Dexter," which stars Michael C. Hall as a charismatic forensic expert/killer recently completed its second season on Showtime. The show's assortment of honors have included Golden Globe, Emmy and SAG nominations plus consecutive years on the AFI's list of the Top 10 outstanding TV programs.

MrE 01-08-08 10:09 AM

Cable and satellite providers must be licking their chops.

Vipper II 01-08-08 10:34 AM

I honestly don't see how they're going to do this without chopping the thing up and making it look obvious they've done so.

rfduncan 01-08-08 10:41 AM

Hmmm.... now I was about to rent the S1 DVDs, but I'm thinking the OTA version will be in HD, no? So I have to choose between original uncensored or HD.... :hscratch:

Deftones 01-08-08 11:31 AM

Do yourself a favor. Rent the DVDs. The stuff that they cut may not be integral to the story, but they give it a certain atmosphere.

chris_sc77 01-08-08 11:46 AM

Cool, I love this show and it looks like it keeps getting more exposure and that it certainly wont be canceled anytime soon.