TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CBS considering airing edited version of "Dexter"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
QFT.

Sure, you're getting it in HD on CBS, but who cares. I'd rather take a step down in PQ and watch it when I want, then having to wait every week for an episode. Also, I don't care if not much stuff is edited out, it's still edited. The DVD is only $27.99 at Amazon.com; I say buy it, and watch it when you want.

I'm probably going to get some heat for this, but I think Dexter is a much more watchable show when watched all at once, then one episode, one week at a time. I don't think I could watch this show every week (I don't have Showtime, so I can't anyway). Michael C. Hall is brilliant as Dexter, and the show holds your interest for the most part, but the drama in the station is a little tedious.
missed my point completely..i just got through with the dvd set and am itching for season 2
Old 02-18-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are they reairing the pilot? My wife and I missed it.
Old 02-18-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it played pretty well on CBS except they chose rather awkward moments for commercial breaks - like at the end of a flashback.
Old 02-19-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
doubt it, but I was checking out the bargins forum, and target has the first season for 20 bucks.
Old 02-19-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Now that you've missed the edited version, you might as well just rent the uncut version.

No chance in hell they are re-airing it.
Old 02-19-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now that you've missed the edited version, you might as well just rent the uncut version.

No chance in hell they are re-airing it.
Any reason as to why? Some networks will re-air a pilot. Was it bad?
Old 02-19-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Of course not, the pilot was good. The ratings weren't spectacular by any means and CBS has to license the show from Showtime. Plus, they are really only airing it as filler due to lack of original programming.

Just rent the DVD.
Old 02-19-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Showtime is owned by CBS, so they aren't licensing it from Showtime. It's just like USA showing Law & Order.
Old 02-26-08, 04:21 PM

Any thoughts on episode 2 CBS version. From what I heard people pretty much had the same sentiment as ep. 1 (editing wasn't bad, glad to have dexter on)..agreed?
Old 02-26-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never seen this show until CBS aired it. It was great. I ordered season 1 from amazon yesterday and it'll be here tomorrow. It's only 19.99 (50% off).
Old 02-27-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I have yet to see the show, but a co-worker of mine saw the first ep and enjoyed it so much that he has already rented the rest of S1.

pilot - that's a great deal.
Old 02-27-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm giving this one more episode, I'm just not digging it. Violence and gore doesn't bother me, but that Deb character is horribly annoying, the acting job from everyone but Michael C. Hall is atrocious, the plot lines are boring and unoriginal, and I feel like Dexter isn't played right. I really can't understand all the high praise this show gets.
Old 02-27-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm giving this one more episode, I'm just not digging it. Violence and gore doesn't bother me, but that Deb character is horribly annoying, the acting job from everyone but Michael C. Hall is atrocious, the plot lines are boring and unoriginal, and I feel like Dexter isn't played right. I really can't understand all the high praise this show gets.
Deb is a little annoying but she gets more tolerable as the season goes on. I'd really try and stick with it, the payoff is great. Season 2 is even better I think.
Old 02-27-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah, if you think season 1 is good (and it is good), just wait till you see season 2.

Plus, this is one of those shows that absolutely beats the crap out of the book. The writers of this show lifted up the material to another level.
Old 02-28-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
And you've seen how many episodes?
Old 02-28-08, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Plus, this is one of those shows that absolutely beats the crap out of the book. The writers of this show lifted up the material to another level.
Absolutely agree!

FWIW, I too thought Deb was very annoying at first, but she grew on me after awhile.
Old 02-28-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Deb is a little annoying but she gets more tolerable as the season goes on. I'd really try and stick with it, the payoff is great. Season 2 is even better I think.
I agree. I re-watched the first two yesterday, and finished the first disc already (4 episodes). I'm going to be sad when I'm done and no second season out yet!
Old 02-28-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
And you've seen how many episodes?
How many episodes does it take to decide if you don't like something? Should I watch the whole season? What's the point of that?

I'll stick with it for a few more. Not like anything else is on anyway. I'll report back after two more eps.
Old 02-28-08, 10:45 AM
Banned

If any one doesn't have Season 1 yet, Amazon has it for $19.99 right now.
Great buy!
Old 02-29-08, 01:47 PM

i really liked season 1, not sure if CBS is showing season 2 yet (hopefully!), but it was definitely better than season 1.

In either case, Dexter is definitely a show worth watching. You learn to appreciate Deb over the course of the series.
Old 02-29-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
They need to announce season 2 on DVD. My girlfriend and I are dying to watch it.
Old 02-29-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
They need to announce season 2 on DVD. My girlfriend and I are dying to watch it.
I read someplace that speculated season 2 would come out August or September before season 3 begins to air, but until something is announced it's unknown when it will be out.
Old 02-29-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I read someplace that speculated season 2 would come out August or September before season 3 begins to air, but until something is announced it's unknown when it will be out.
Yeah that jives with what I read. I think the S1 dvd set came out in right before season 2 aired. Google could prove useful if you're impatient.....
Old 03-01-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Sucks to be you, I guess.

Old 03-02-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How many episodes does it take to decide if you don't like something? Should I watch the whole season? What's the point of that?

I'll stick with it for a few more. Not like anything else is on anyway. I'll report back after two more eps.
Just take the acting and characters for what they are. They are supposed to be melodramatic. Keep in mind this show is from Dexter's perspective and he doesn't really understand normal people (also it's a satire). It gets progressively better further on. Just laugh at everyone for now. The plot really heats up and is very well crafted. They balance serial and arc storylines very well.

Also, the TV breaks totally fuck they flow of the show. This show was meant to be seen for 52 minutes straight. Just rent the damn show.

There's no definitive answer for how many episodes it takes to get into it or any show, just drop your notions about it right now.

Last edited by Drop; 03-02-08 at 07:39 AM.