Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Cosby Show fans -- a question about Theo's education?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cosby Show fans -- a question about Theo's education?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't know any of this... but I suppose the question that leaps to *my* mind is: How did it take them 20 years to figure out that he had a learning problem?
If I remember the show and related trivia correctly (and this is purely memory--not going to research it), this was based on the real Cosby's relationship with his son, who they all thought was lazy, but they discovered later on that he had a learning disability. I thought the whole Theo/Cliff relationship was meant to roughly parallel the son/Bill Cosby real life relationship.

In my (faulty?) memory, I thought they discovered his learning disability before he went to NYU, but I'm more than likely wrong. Again, not going to research it.....
Old 12-04-07, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't know any of this... but I suppose the question that leaps to *my* mind is: How did it take them 20 years to figure out that he had a learning problem?

His dad and mom are both intelligent professionals and VERY dedicated to their family. The let the son just coast with Ds into *college* without ever trying to figure out if something was wrong?

Dr. H should have put down the pudding pops for a few minutes and had a chat w/his son.
Well.... remember, we're dealing here with a father who doesn't even know how many children he has. In the very first episode Cliff asks Claire, "Why did we have 4 children?"
Old 12-04-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Learning disabilities were not as diagnosed in the 80's as they are now.
Old 12-04-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's another question that keeps me up at night...

How in the Hell did Opie Taylor manage to have Helen Crump as his only teacher for the entire eight year run of the Andy Griffith Show?
Old 12-04-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Here's another question that keeps me up at night...

How in the Hell did Opie Taylor manage to have Helen Crump as his only teacher for the entire eight year run of the Andy Griffith Show?

They must have had a one room school house in Mayberry.
Old 12-04-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redskull
Well.... remember, we're dealing here with a father who doesn't even know how many children he has. In the very first episode Cliff asks Claire, "Why did we have 4 children?"
I'm guessing sarcasm here but just to answer anyway i don't think the creators of the show thought of the oldest daughter at princton until after they shot the pilot.
that honestly should be a post within itself, major changes made to shows after the pilot without any explanation.

Last edited by paradicelost; 12-04-07 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
On that note, how did the ENTIRE clique from Boy Meets World get accepted and agree to go to the same school? I know Topanga did so for Cory's sake, and Shawn is a given, but the other 3 or so people?!
It is easy for friends to get in to and go to the same college. I went to a university that wasn't a community college, but a private university that wasn't extremely easy to get in to, and myself and four friends all got in.

The real question is how and why did Mr. Feeny follow them there (and teach them every year in high school still).