DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Anyone going to watch Tin Man---6 hour Sci Fi Channel mini-series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/518916-anyone-going-watch-tin-man-6-hour-sci-fi-channel-mini-series.html)

DJariya 12-02-07 01:34 AM

Anyone going to watch Tin Man---6 hour Sci Fi Channel mini-series?

I'm not sure about this one. I think this one could be really bad. It does have a decent cast though.

Synopsis:

In this cyber-twisted update of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, a leather-clad, soul-sucking sorceress named Azkadellia has scorched the once-beautiful land of O.Z. into a desolate wasteland. Its only hope lies with an “outsider” named DG, a young Midwestern woman, whose troubling dreams have summoned her to the doomed paradise. She not only changes the fate of O.Z. but discovers, as well, her own destiny in this strange new world.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alan Cumming as Glitch
· Kathleen Robertson as Azkadellia
· Neal McDonough as Cain
· Raoul Trujillo as Raw
· Richard Dreyfuss as The Mystic Man
· Zooey Deschanel as DG

leeta 12-02-07 08:20 AM

I'm going to give it a try since I love fantasy/sci-fi. The critics say it's terrible...

TGM 12-02-07 08:49 AM

It's scheduled to be tivo'd... we'll see if I get around to watching it

Goldberg74 12-02-07 08:54 AM

I'm gonna record it and watch it after finals... I sure hope its better than Flash Gordon. -pray-

Giantrobo 12-02-07 10:07 AM

It looks interesting.

Cellar Door 12-02-07 11:14 AM

I'm going to watch, but my expectations are low. That synopsis sounds really, really bad. I like Zooey Deschanel, but I'm not a big fan of Alan Cumming, and Richard Dreyfuss as the wizard (I'm guessing that's the mystery man?) seems odd.

Rogue588 12-02-07 01:19 PM

Things like this make me grateful that there's a strike going on.

Good thing I don't get this thing called "Sci-Fi".

Groucho 12-02-07 01:39 PM

This is getting trashed by the reviewers, but my wife wants to watch it so I guess I'm stuck (unless she doesn't like the first two hours)

mike7162 12-02-07 06:43 PM

Only because of the writer's strike...

Mattrk 12-02-07 08:27 PM

No one think about Flash Gordon while watching this. Nope, no reason to do that at all. Move along, citizens, back to your lives.

Deftones 12-02-07 08:35 PM

I'm going to watch it. Looks cool.

keyed 12-02-07 08:55 PM

Not watching it.

From a newspaper article I read Thursday, it sounds like they scripted it out of a 16-bit RPG instead of The Wizard of Oz.

The O.Z., Mobats, shapeshifting dog companion... tell me this doesn't sound like a SNES game.

chris_sc77 12-02-07 09:03 PM

This could have been something rather special but it comes off as very lazy.

Jason 12-02-07 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
This could have been something rather special but it comes off as very lazy.

I'm sure sci-fi will figure out a way to make it a series and run it for the next 10 years.

chris_sc77 12-02-07 09:30 PM

What made me mad was that they apparently couldn't even get real midgets for this? NO midgets=No Sale!

Gizmo 12-02-07 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by keyed
Not watching it.

From a newspaper article I read Thursday, it sounds like they scripted it out of a 16-bit RPG instead of The Wizard of Oz.

The O.Z., Mobats, shapeshifting dog companion... tell me this doesn't sound like a SNES game.

Secret of Evermore?

bobert3 12-02-07 10:43 PM

I'll rent the DVD off Netflix when it comes out, if I hear that it's any good.

mndtrp 12-03-07 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by bobert3
I'll rent the DVD off Netflix when it comes out, if I hear that it's any good.

Same here, although it looked kind of cool.

Baron Of Hell 12-03-07 03:29 AM

Forgot to record it. Might watch it later maybe on a rerun or rent it.

Heat 12-03-07 04:53 AM

Is this OK for grade-school age kids?

I recorded the first episode (DVR), I'll see if I actually get around to watching it or not.

Groucho 12-03-07 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
Is this OK for grade-school age kids?

Maybe older kids. There is some violence and death (people getting shot, a child is beaten). Some minor swearing and drug use too. But I think most kids would be bored. As would most adults.

This was worse than I feared. Even the worst Sci-Fi channel movies offer two things that make them entertaining: Coolio and/or over-the-top graphic cgi violence. This had neither.

sauce07 12-03-07 09:03 AM

I turned this on for a few minutes and it was horrible. Now I realize that I can't properly judge this movie but from what i watched it seemed to be very cheep. Everybody was running through a generic forrest with perfect rows of spooky trees while the Band of Brothers guy just kept yelling "RUN!!" while being chased by poorly CGI'd dogs.

Bad

Groucho 12-03-07 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07
I turned this on for a few minutes and it was horrible. Now I realize that I can't properly judge this movie but from what i watched it seemed to be very cheep. Everybody was running through a generic forrest with perfect rows of spooky trees while the Band of Brothers guy just kept yelling "RUN!!" while being chased by poorly CGI'd dogs.

Later on they have a similar scene where everybody is running away from flying monkeys that spawn from somebody's breast tattoos. I'm not making this up! It makes the scene you're describing look like a Hitchcock masterpiece.

Tracer Bullet 12-03-07 09:18 AM

The phrase "6 hour Sci-Fi Channel mini-series" strikes terror in my heart.

MrE 12-03-07 09:45 AM

Think Wizard of Oz as a sci-fi movie. Not as bad as above comments indicate (the SFX are better than average for TV), but if you don't have 8-10 inches of new snow on the ground, you probably have something better to do.