Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kitchen Nightmares - 11/19 - "Campana"

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Kitchen Nightmares - 11/19 - "Campana"

Gordon helps turn around an Italian restaurant "Campana" where the waitstaff is more interested in goofing off than taking their jobs seriously.

Question:

Why aren't restaurant owners on this show more grateful when Gordon shows up to help ? Too many of them let their ego get in the way.
Old 11-29-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Sorry bout the ol' bag."
Old 11-29-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Question:

Why aren't restaurant owners on this show more grateful when Gordon shows up to help ? Too many of them let their ego get in the way.
I think its funny that those with big egos don't seem to understand that if their business was running as it should they would have no need to call in Ramsey.

The only reason I think they agree to it in the first place is to show off their 'greatness' before millions of viewers. It feeds their ego millions of times over.
Old 11-29-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This episode was pretty blah. Another Italian restuarant with "shady" bill collectors? Please... I find it funny they're replaying the first episode next week, one which has almost the exact same plot (if you can even call it that).

Anyone else notice that the US version doesn't seem to be contractually obligated to show Ramsay with his shirt off like the UK version? Thank god...
Old 11-29-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
there was definitely shirtless ramsay in the first few episodes. but it's been noticably absent in the past 3 or 4.
Old 11-29-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Whether or not the "old bag" was being obnoxious, he really deserved a hefty slap for that one.

And I wish Ramsey would cut back on the horizontal flat-handed air-slice.
Old 11-29-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Question:

Because if everybody was appreciative, it wouldn't make for good television.

For example, when the cops arrived. The had a siren playing but the cop rolled in with no lights. It seems that if the siren was blowing steady, they would be using the lights too. Either way, they didn't even show the cops getting out of the car, meaning the whole thing was probably just a roll-by.
Old 11-29-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
The boom mikes must have been quite good in order to pick up the Pizza guy's end of the convo when the guy was ordering on his cell phone.
Old 11-30-07, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Whether or not the "old bag" was being obnoxious, he really deserved a hefty slap for that one.
Really? I thought the "ol' bag" had it coming to her. I mean, "the customer is always right" rule has to stop somewhere.
Old 11-30-07, 03:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by bluetoast
The boom mikes must have been quite good in order to pick up the Pizza guy's end of the convo when the guy was ordering on his cell phone.
I agree, that was ridiculous. I hate how FOX dumbs down everything. Is it not enough to just show a guy sarcastically pretending to order a pizza? They have to put in a fake soundbite of a pizza place?
Old 12-01-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
"Sorry bout the ol' bag."
Highlight of the show.
Old 12-01-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Highlight of the show.
He told it like she is. That is one of the reasons that I like to watch shows with Ramsay in it. He doesn't cut corners or take sh*t off of anyone.
Old 12-02-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I agree, that was ridiculous. I hate how FOX dumbs down everything. Is it not enough to just show a guy sarcastically pretending to order a pizza? They have to put in a fake soundbite of a pizza place?

I am surprised they stopped short of actually having a pizza delivered so Ramsey could throw a fit!
Old 12-02-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Unfortunately the pizza bit is a staple of the American Ramsey shows. It's been done at least once on Hell Kitchen and now on here. I would expect to see it again.
Old 12-02-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
On a related note, I was somewhat surprised that he's nicer to customers this time around, and there was only one confrontation. Maybe it's the fact that he is trying to maintain a business environment, as opposed to on Hell's Kitchen where it's mainly about the potential chefs.

On Hell's Kitchen, I remember when a customer walked up to the serving area to complain, he said something like "Go get some more plastic surgery."

Then again, we don't really see Ramsay himself interact with customers that often on this show.
Old 12-03-07, 08:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
watched this last night... and I wonder if they just realy had a bunch of trouble makers show up to the opening - hoping that if they complained that they would get on tv (ala Hell's Kitchen)?

The Old Bag line had me laughing - but I wish they would have dealt with the issue, what do you do with a table full of people who are unhappy - but the food is good?

Do you comp them, free drink, or just say "we are sorry you don't like our food" here's the check.
Old 12-03-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The notion that "the customer is always right" is really out the window in today's service oriented businesses. Why? Because people lie, and take advantage.

The customer is not always right but they are still a customer. The best situation is to be as gracious as possible and try to keep them happy. Give a coupon for a % off the next meal. Certainly not comp them anything since that is what she was trying to get.

Her steak could have been re-cooked. She wanted none of that and just wanted to complain...about everything.
Old 12-03-07, 11:39 AM

I am going to this restaurant next week for dinner. I will report back after.
Old 12-03-07, 12:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I am going to this restaurant next week for dinner. I will report back after.

please do

Make sure you order the meatballs
Old 12-03-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did I miss the follow-up on this episode or did they not do one?

If they didnt do one does anyone know why?
Old 12-03-07, 01:21 PM

They had a voice over near the end which was the basic 'things are running much better since Ramsey came here.'
Old 12-05-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jpb07
They had a voice over near the end which was the basic 'things are running much better since Ramsey came here.'
Odd - that wasn't on the VOD cut.

Please do report back. This seemed to be one of the more straight forward groups. You could - especially since Gordon liked the group. Also, I felt like they would actually turn it around. I'm curious if they did.

Once again, poor editing at work - well maybe it was purposeful. He "left" the kitchen, and all hell borke lose. However, it then later showed Gordon TELLING him to get out once in a while. So the cut actually made it look like he was slacking off and everything was suddently going down hill.

Are they still making new episodes for BBC1? Because as much as the American version is improving, I really need some "real" Ramsay.