DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Battlestar Gallactica Razor - Pilot - 11/24/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/518170-battlestar-gallactica-razor-pilot-11-24-07-a.html)

NORML54601 11-24-07 12:22 PM

Battlestar Gallactica Razor - Pilot - 11/24/07

Just a reminder that the series premier for BSGR is tonight. They were showing two minute flashbacks during the Enterprise marathon on Sci-Fi and it looked pretty good. Seems like a pretty crappy time slot to debut a show in though.

DJariya 11-24-07 01:02 PM

This is a TV movie, not a pilot. It's technically a prequel to the events after season 2 and deals with Admiral Helena Cain's (Michelle Forbes) character and Lee Adama's 1st mission as commander of the Pegasus.

The extended version of this TV movie comes out December 4th.

DJariya 11-24-07 01:03 PM

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

The Two-Hour Event
The special two-hour episode "Razor", which will serve as a backdrop for the events of season four of Battlestar Galactica, tells the story of Lee Adama's first mission as the commander of the battlestar Pegasus — and the harrowing tale of that ship's desperate fight for survival in the immediate aftermath of the Cylon's genocidal siege of the Twelve Colonies.

Lee Adama's new XO, Major Kendra Shaw, is plagued by memories of her service and sacrifices under Admiral Helena Cain, who was able to save her ship during the Cylon attack — but only by making Shaw and her fellow officers rationalize suicidal battle tactics and brutal war crimes against their own people.

In the crucible of war, Shaw must let her hesitation and doubts burn away, until all that remains of her is the honed edge of a living human weapon — what Colonial veterans call "a razor." But an edge so fine cuts in more than one direction. It can cleave an enemy to pieces … or it can carve away a person's soul.

NORML54601 11-24-07 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is a TV movie, not a pilot. It's technically a prequel to the events after season 2 and deals with Admiral Helena Cain's (Michelle Forbes) character and Lee Adama's 1st mission as commander of the Pegasus.

The extended version of this TV movie comes out December 4th.

Sci-Fi sure did a good job of hiding the fact this is a movie and not a series. I was under the impression it was a new series to chronicle the Pegasus' story parralel to Gallactica's. Oh well, 2 hours of new BSG is better than none at all.

Deftones 11-24-07 01:40 PM

Shit. Thanks for the heads up. I would've totally missed this. :up:

Ranger 11-24-07 10:13 PM

Well, I thought it was pretty good but would have liked more of the other characters and less of the Adamas.

Promo says BSG back in March, hmmph.

ruk 11-24-07 11:01 PM

Pretty good.

starman9000 11-24-07 11:05 PM

I thought the Quizno's ad spots were really distracting.

Orbi-Wan Techno 11-25-07 08:03 AM

Nice to see the old school Toasters again. Can't wait to see the unedited version in a couple of weeks.

Fielding Mellish 11-25-07 08:13 AM

IT IS REVEALED... hot, lesbian, implied sex! MMM-MMM-MMM-Toasty!

TGM 11-25-07 09:00 AM

Great show.

Although I still like BSG, 'Razor' really reminded me of S1 when it used to be REALLY REALLY good with more straight-out military stuff rather than all of the mystical religious mumbo-jumbo.

Cardiff Giant11 11-25-07 09:13 AM

I liked it too, but the whole thing with the "missing link" was just weird. More questions brought up than answers. cool to see the old Cylons and Raiders though. Would've been nice to see Adama's entire flashback in the body of the movie though.

TGM 11-25-07 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
I liked it too, but the whole thing with the "missing link" was just weird. More questions brought up than answers. cool to see the old Cylons and Raiders though. Would've been nice to see Adama's entire flashback in the body of the movie though.

Evidently you will see all of Adama's flashback in the unedited DVD release.

Setzer 11-25-07 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

And since it's going to be "unrated", we'll probably get some hot cylon/human lesbian action! :up:

I thought Razor was entertaining although I thought it was going to be a 2 hour movie about the Pegasus and their crew, not just flashbacks.

Cardiff Giant11 11-25-07 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Yep and it looks like it's more than what was shown on Scifi.com judging by the ad for the DVD so I'll definitely have to rent the dvd.

mdc3000 11-25-07 01:00 PM

I thought it was pretty damn awesome. I'll definitely be checking out the dvd... makes me wish we were getting new BSG asap though!

Vendetta-AKK 11-25-07 01:02 PM

A discussion question for the group.

Spoiler:
I assume the old man in the tub was a cylon or one of the cylon gods, if so, why would he worn Kendra that Starbuck would bring down the human race?

When he first started talking to Kendra like he knew she would come and was waiting for her, I thought that maybe Kendra was the 5th Cylon, but then when he warns her about Starbuck it is like Starbuck is a Cylon. But if that was true why would the man in the tub warn Kendra about Starbuck?

TGM 11-25-07 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK

Spoiler:
I assume the old man in the tub was a cylon or one of the cylon gods, if so, why would he worn Kendra that Starbuck would bring down the human race?

When he first started talking to Kendra like he knew she would come and was waiting for her, I thought that maybe Kendra was the 5th Cylon, but then when he warns her about Starbuck it is like Starbuck is a Cylon. But if that was true why would the man in the tub warn Kendra about Starbuck?

Spoiler:
I sort of just took it as a desperate attempt to confuse Kendra to buy some time, and maybe have her doubt her loyalties and not blow him to hell...?

NORML54601 11-25-07 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
She wasn't going to be able to tell anyone since he blocked the communications again and she was going to blow herself up. He probably did it to gloat since Kendra took Starbuck's place on the baseship. And I think it's allready assumed that Starbuck is a cylon since she died in the second to last ep and came back in the last ep and in the previews for S4 she's shown in the brig and being interrogated.

milo bloom 11-25-07 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Sci-Fi sure did a good job of hiding the fact this is a movie and not a series. I was under the impression it was a new series to chronicle the Pegasus' story parralel to Gallactica's. Oh well, 2 hours of new BSG is better than none at all.

Really? I don't watch much of the SciFi channel outside of BSG, but all the stuff in the press was pretty clear that it was a 2 hour event, and not much else.

[broken record] Universal wanted something to sell on DVD between the two seasons, so SciFi made the S4 episode order be 22 episodes. Razor counts as the first two hours. They couldn't do direct to DVD because Glen Larson holds the rights to do BSG movies and direct to DVD would violate that (probably also why the recent screenings were "free", aside from sitting through ads anyways). [/br]

The original pitch for this special event was Adama, et al, being taken back in time to just before the attack, and trying to prevent it, with Adama senior trying to bring Cain in to help. When somebody mentioned Cain and the Pegasus, they started thinking about a more straightforward story/history type thing which we have now.

As warning, if you hear about a new series called "Caprica" coming sometime next year, it'll probably just be another 2 hour event. Apparently they've had it written for sometime now, and I would imagine they might use it to fill airtime if this writer's strike goes on too long.

As for "Razor" itself, I saw it a couple weeks ago in Evanston, IL, and enjoyed it very much. Theater was maybe half full, and I think everybody enjoyed themselves. The classic Centurions got a big (affectionate) laugh from everyone.

I'll definitely be picking up the extended DVD, according to TheDigitalBits, it uses seamless branching to present the aired and extended versions.

Sean O'Hara 11-25-07 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
[broken record] Universal wanted something to sell on DVD between the two seasons,

And it'd be too obvious to release season 3.

mugwump 11-25-07 08:02 PM

Razor was a return to many of the things I liked best about BG season 1 -- lots of military action; bad-ass characters kicking butt up, down, and sideways; Cylons that were there to fight and not to ponder their own navels; and flashbacks that actually made sense. Of course it also featured the much reviled Cylon-In-A-Tub and hybrid mumbo-jumbo that remind me of the lesser mythology episodes of The X-Files.

milo bloom 11-25-07 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And it'd be too obvious to release season 3.

Touche, but they were probably already aware that S4 wouldn't be starting till sometime in 2008, so this makes a decent stopgap.

Chew 11-26-07 06:35 AM

Great movie. Certainly much more entertaining to me than the last half of S3 anyway.

Loved seeing old school Cylons and raiders too. :up:

pinata242 11-26-07 09:59 AM

Just watched this morning and not much to add other than the 2 hours just flew by. Can't wait for March. Sure hope the WGA get this crap squared away before too long.