Reload this Page >

Battlestar Gallactica Razor - Pilot - 11/24/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Battlestar Gallactica Razor - Pilot - 11/24/07

Old 11-28-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
I don't know, I still think it's a bit of a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Because when that something happens in S3, one assumes it's not the end of that story
Spoiler:
One would have to never seen an episode of television before to assume that was the end of the story. My wife isn't into the show, but she kinda half watched the last few eps of S3 and when Starbuck went into the maelstrom, she actually said "no body: no death." Just my opinion of course.
Old 11-28-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone think that they will make another tv movie for next Fall? Hopefully focusing only on the young Bill Adama and a new cast?
Old 11-28-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
One would have to never seen an episode of television before to assume that was the end of the story. My wife isn't into the show, but she kinda half watched the last few eps of S3 and when Starbuck went into the maelstrom, she actually said "no body: no death." Just my opinion of course.
Oh, I agree, but if the overarching question is whether watching Razor will affect one's subsequent watching of season 3, I think it will, at least a little bit.
Old 11-28-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dammit, I missed this.

Old 11-28-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Oh, I agree, but if the overarching question is whether watching Razor will affect one's subsequent watching of season 3, I think it will, at least a little bit.
A little, maybe, but I feel all the other info, plus the time period it's set in, all feel so much more natural watching it during the second half of S2. The one little tidbit that we're discussing, I think, is not enough to throw off the groove that the rest of the program sets up.
Old 11-28-07, 10:02 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
This was fine, if a bit predictable.
Old 11-28-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you missed it, you can just rent or buy the uncut extended DVD when its released on December 4th.
Old 11-28-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I do wonder how good is the extended stuff.

Amazon says dvd is 101 mins and I figure 90 mins were shown on tv. They better not be counting the miniepisodes as part of that 101 mins.
Old 11-29-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lara Means
If you missed it, you can just rent or buy the uncut extended DVD when its released on December 4th.
You can also list it now on ebay as "used - mint condition". Buy it on Tuesday, watch it, and the auction will end a day or two later. Or just wait, I'm sure it'll air again before Season 4 starts.
Old 11-29-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
I do wonder how good is the extended stuff.

Amazon says dvd is 101 mins and I figure 90 mins were shown on tv. They better not be counting the miniepisodes as part of that 101 mins.
A few minutes of it, yes, but I believe there's also some footage of Cain
Spoiler:
as a child during a Cylon attack
Old 12-01-07, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Finally finished watching this and it was an awesome 2 hours of TV. I'm really looking forward to seeing the extended cut as well as hearing Ronald Moore's commentary. Should be a great DVD and I also plan to buy one for a buddy for X-Mas as well.

IMO, Kendra Shaw was such a fascinating and compelling character. I was so fascinated by seeing how tortured her character was. I think Stephanie Chaves-Jacobson didn't a phenominal job playing her. Her ethnicity is very intriguing (Chinese-Norweigen-English-Portuguese) and born in Hong Kong and raised in Australia. After seeing this movie, I hope she lands more parts here in the States.

Michelle Forbes was also rock solid as Cain. The movie really helped elaborate what a fucking lunatic she was.

Great movie....a solid A
Old 12-01-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Just finished watching this. Great mini movie. Did you notice the guy from Andromeda..

Its funny how all the women in BSG are ruthless tough as nails girls and men are pussies.
Old 12-02-07, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Question: I still haven't seen season 3 yet. Waiting for the DVDs.

Anyway, would watching this mess up anything or did I miss anything in S3 that I wouldn't get in this? I know this is a flashback about the Pegasus and how it got back, but I don't want to take the chance of not understanding something or being confused.
I would just wait and watch it in airdate order (i.e., before S4). Aside from the thing that people were hinting at earlier in the thread, Razor probably has some thematic links to whatever is coming up in the final season that it's probably best watched at this point. Plotwise, it fits in perfectly in the middle of S2, but I'm guessing that they told this particular story now for a reason.

Plus, it's just cool to revisit Admiral Cain and get a new perspective on her story after so much time has passed and so many crazy things have happened in the BSG universe.

IMO, Kendra Shaw was such a fascinating and compelling character. I was so fascinated by seeing how tortured her character was. I think Stephanie Chaves-Jacobson didn't a phenominal job playing her.
Yup, I thought she was great. I wonder if we'll ever see Kendra again in the form of flashbacks or...whatever.
Old 12-13-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up the DVD and my roommates and I watched it last night. Thought it was fantastic. One of the coolest bits was sort of knowing what was going to happen to the Pegasus. I'd have thought it would ruin it, but instead it gave a sort of gleefull dread. An example would be when Cain is on the treadmill joking with her XO, and we just started grinning, realizing, "Well this happy little couple is going to be pretty-well-frakked when she pops him in the dome." Or when the new XO gleefully reports that they found a civie fleet, and the whole room just sort of groans, "uh-oh."

I also felt that it both humanized and sort of demonized Cain. The thing with her sister shows she's always been such a hard-ass to make up for the cowardice she showed during the initial war. And the reveal that she and Gina were lovers now makes her implicit consent (even approval) of Interogater Cheney's deplorable treatment of a prisoner seem less like information gathering or even vengeance for a civilization lost and more like a scorned and betrayed woman striking bitterly at a former lover out of petty spite. That being said, it did walk that line with Adama saying that he didn't have to face what she did, and that he's glad for it. It also brought up something that I never really thought about - the fact that the first history texts will be based off of their logs. These guys (should they succeed) will hold a moses-like level of notoriety and legend. Their names will live on for millenia. That's pretty badass, and I thought Lee did a good job of selling that revalation.

Aside from all of that - really good action. The old Raiders and Centurians were very cool to see and I could watch an entire season of young Husker being badass.

-Doc