Old 12-06-07, 02:26 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's the Jewel [singer] of Kid Nation.

E
Old 12-06-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Zach got the short end of the stick.

Mallory should not have gotten a gold star.

The week that she got a gold star should have been Morgan's week, then Greg would have received one earlier, and then Zach could have received one right before joining the council.

They needed a sheriff long before Day 33.

Giving a gold star to Jared could be interesting, but he kinda scares me. He wants to create something to travel to outer space without a spaceship.

And I don't remember how many episodes ago it was, Jared, Anjay, and Alex were all talking, and Jared said something like, "True or false, exterterrestials have never been found." And of course Anjay and Alex said, "True," and then he goes on to say its false, aliens were found in place X at time X, blah blah blah.

The title of next week's show is ""We've All Decided to Go Mad!""

Looks interesting.

I can't believe that this show will be aired 13 straight weeks without being pre-empted by something.

Wow.

Wikipedia has some new info on some of the kids including last names, links to imdb pages, awards they've won....

How does Wikipedia get this stuff?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_participants
Old 12-06-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
And I don't remember how many episodes ago it was, Jared, Anjay, and Alex were all talking, and Jared said something like, "True or false, exterterrestials have never been found." And of course Anjay and Alex said, "True," and then he goes on to say its false, aliens were found in place X at time X, blah blah blah.
I think he was talking about the meteteorite that was found in Antarctica that is supposed to be of Martian origin.

http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/nasa1.html

A NASA research team of scientists at the Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, TX, and at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, has found evidence that strongly suggests primitive life may have existed on Mars more than 3.6 billion years ago.

The NASA-funded team found the first organic molecules thought to be of Martian origin; several mineral features characteristic of biological activity; and possible microscopic fossils of primitive, bacteria-like organisms inside of an ancient Martian rock that fell to Earth as a meteorite. This array of indirect evidence of past life will be reported in the August 16 issue of the journal Science, presenting the investigation to the scientific community at large for further study.

But at any rate, I find Jared hilarious (pimp outfit, anyone?). He just walks to his own drummer. I would love to find out what he's achieved thirty years from now!

Also, after Alex's comments about not needing the money, I wish they'd have given it to Jared. The previews for next week made it sound like there may be more than one gold star that's worth more than the usual $20K for the final episode. Maybe he and/or Zach will get one next week...
Old 12-06-07, 10:30 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JP5683
As I remember it he asked if proof of life had ever been found in outer space. His answer was something like fossilized bacteria found on Mars or some such thing.
Old 12-06-07, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by leeta
Also, after Alex's comments about not needing the money, I wish they'd have given it to Jared. The previews for next week made it sound like there may be more than one gold star that's worth more than the usual $20K for the final episode. Maybe he and/or Zach will get one next week...
Spoiler:
Actually there is going be at least one $50k gold star given away next week, according to the news article I posted. But the previews seem to show more than one larger than usual star

Also, regarding next weeks title, when there's fire involved, there's got to be a little madness going around.

Chris
Old 12-06-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Spoiler:
Actually there is going be at least one $50k gold star given away next week, according to the news article I posted. But the previews seem to show more than one larger than usual star

Also, regarding next weeks title, when there's fire involved, there's got to be a little madness going around.

Chris
Spoiler:
I'm thinking the bigger star will be going to someone who already won a star, and really emerged as a true leader. I dont think Zach will be getting the bigger one...I thinking Laurel or Sophia.
Old 12-06-07, 04:04 PM

I was really hoping that I was going to get to cash in on that Taylor wins a gold star bit this week. She and Sophie had that conversation about how hard she works and I thought the show might be setting it up for her to win. But alas.

I don't think Alex should've gotten the money. Especially since it was a paradox for him. Should've gone to Zach or Migle.

Where'd Divad go? I miss that girl's self-promotion.

And I love Guylan's personal part on the wikipedia page. I guess some other people don't really like him either...
Guylan Qudsieh
Guylan Qudsieh was a participant in the CBS reality series Kid Nation in 2007. He became a member of the town council at the first elections, taking Mike's place as leader of the red district.

[edit] Personal
Guylan was home-schooled and raised by animal trainers at a zoo.[14] He is wiccan.[15]

[edit] Kid Nation
Guylan was elected onto council by defeating Mike in the first election. At the second election, Guylan lost to DK, after he asked the town to please vote him off.
Old 12-06-07, 04:58 PM

Viewers last night:

7. “Kid Nation” (CBS) 7.20m

It is probably a good bet that this show will come back next September. Because last night they said "On the Season Finale of Kid Nation".

Chris
Old 12-06-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by leeta
"Pelvis has left the building!"
I was seriously in stitches over that comment. I told my husband, "can you imagine him being your kid? How could you not have a great day with an imagination like his?"

And I LOVE Alex's tooth. Everytime he's on I do an "Awwww!" I think it's adorable.
Old 12-06-07, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The whole episode seemed so scripted. The "native americans" seemed like actors, the hot air balloons just happened to land as soon as the council came back, sherrif Sophia just happened to find a straw to put in her mouth for her dramatic exit, Zach being a whiiney little crap, Jared just seems like a young hippy...ugh.
Old 12-07-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The whole episode seemed so scripted.
It really did. Bugged me. But that "pelvis" comment was brilliant and funny as hell.
Old 12-07-07, 11:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Well considering the majority of the kids involved are stage actors, it's not hard to believe that they might be working off of a script.
Old 12-07-07, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD
Well considering the majority of the kids involved are stage actors, it's not hard to believe that they might be working off of a script.
I doubt they are working off a script, but I do think they are coached at times.

Chris
Old 12-07-07, 12:07 PM

Also, I thought this was hilarious. Check photo # 12

http://tv.yahoo.com/slideshow/190/photos/1

She is probably going to be famous for something in the future.

Chris
Old 12-07-07, 12:14 PM
Suspended

I'm glad I don't know any of those other tv shows [besides Office (U.S. version)].

"Television. Rules nations." - Daft Punk

E
Old 12-12-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blaine is the lootie of Bonanza City! Or would that be "borrowie" in Blaine's case?
Old 12-13-07, 12:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow.

Sophia made a total of 70,000 dollars off Kid Nation gold stars. Too bad we didn't get to see Blaine and Greg's goodbyes - that was a moment not to miss.

A great series.
Old 12-13-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with all tonight's gold star winners.

From what I understood, the 'big' stars went like so: 2 to those who had already won a regular star, 1 to anyone else.

There were a few kids that after winning a gold star, they kinda faded away, like they didn't have anything to work for anymore.

And others just sort of gave up after they didn't win meeting after meeting.

Would have been nice to have an extended episode, maybe an hour of everyone reflecting back, now that this all ended 6 months ago.

Maybe some of the kids will make a guest appearance on Season 2?

I guess it's in the contracts that the kids have to maintain confidentiality rules set by CBS for 3 years, or pay a fine of $5 million.

All interviews have to be approved by CBS as well.

I'll definitely watch Season 2, but no way will it be as good as Season 1.

Unless they make radical changes, too many kids in Season 2 will try for the wrong reason, to win the gold star and the $$$$.

Sophia and Zach to me, are the 2 kids that best showed they cared about the town, making it work, helping others, etc.

Great show.
Old 12-13-07, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Scouring the net, I have found a couple of articles:

Interview with Ellen DeGeneres, Sophia, Mike, and their moms:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34103

Interview with Savannah, 10, from Georgia

http://itsallabout.typepad.com/its_a...-par.html#more
Old 12-13-07, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I know this is three posts from me in a row in this thread, so I'll shut up after this, but I'm just so obsessed with this show, I guess.

I had several other boards bookmarked, but they offered many more spoilers than I wanted to know, so I just started reading through them after watching the finale.

I know some other boards cannot be linked to through DVDTalk, and I don't want to cut and paste EVERYTHING they had, but there are boards out there with insane amounts of info and gossip.

Apparently, one kid started posting on IMDB, saying he was one of the kids, and would try to answer anything he could.

Pretty informative stuff, but he only posted for a few days in October, then disappeared.

He gave the info though that pretty much everything went as shown, except some stuff was slightly out of order, and some 'dramatic' moments were recreated so that the cameras could get a better angle on them.

He said there were a few 'cliques' and several kids had unrequited crushes on each other.

Everyone got together for a reunion later, and a video has been posted on YouTube showing pictures in a slideshow.

It was said by 'unnamed kid' that everyone may reunite on Regis and Kelly in January, but I wonder why there since that's an ABC show?

Supposedly lots of these kids have MySpaces, so good luck finding them.

OK, a couple more links...

Article about 5 of the kids, all from the Reno/Sparks area...

http://m.rgj.com/detail.jsp?key=71548&rc=li&full=1

Entertainment Weekly interview with 12 of the kids.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2005...051877,00.html

Youtube video/slideshow of reunion.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYAECbz30I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MGYAECbz30I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 12-13-07, 04:57 AM
Banned

Is that Pat O'Brien there?

Ah. Ooh. Hmm...
Old 12-13-07, 10:05 AM

I really enjoyed this show. I was really expecting for Laurel to win another gold star, and by the look on her face, I think she did to. In all fairness, I think all the kids should have been featured at some point or another. I still saw some kids there at the end who I had no clue who they were. If I were a parent or a kid, and I or my child went through that experience, and got absolutely no coverage, I would be pissed.
Old 12-13-07, 10:54 AM

So, a great finale and the 3 young ladies who won the $50k were totally deserving. It's interesting how the darkhorse Migli came running thru at the end. I don't think we saw much of her until the last 3 episodes or so.

But it is interesting that the 4 young men who were on the council were mature enough to realize that the 3 people who deserved to win the $50k were hard workers the whole time and were very supportive and nuturing to the whole town. And of course it happened to be 3 teenage girls who are usually more mature at that age than boys are.

The moment when the host said that there was going to be special guests and the kids slowly realized that it was going to be their parents brought tears to my eyes. There's no better way to build up an appreciation of your parents by being away from them for 40 days.

The same thing happened on last weeks Survivor when Jeff told the survivors that some relatives were going to help them in a competion. The look on their faces brought tears to my eyes also.

I'm hoping that we hear in January that CBS has decided to go ahead with the 2nd season of Kid Nation. It only averaged a little over 7M viewers. But more and more advertisers are becoming aware of the spending power of the tween age group and since this was the #1 primetime show among that age group, I'm hoping that will be a catalyst for bringing back the show next Sept.

If the writers / director, etc strike is still going on, it would be a good bet to come back next fall. And I'm hoping that they do a reunion of the first season right before the start of the 2nd season. We can see how the kids lives have changed in the year since this was filmed.

And to all of the people here who gave up on this show after one or two episodes because the kids were too noisy or just being kids, well, I'm sorry that you missed a very good show that showed the good and bad qualities (mostly good) of the people who are going to be our future leaders.

It was a great ride!

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 12-13-07 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-13-07, 11:58 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was an excellent season. All the prognosticating before it aired about how bad this was for the kids just didn't pan out. I'm not sure another season will ever be close to how good this one was.

As the council recognized, Sophia was the no-brainer choice for one of the $50K gold stars. I thought Laurel should have got one too. Migle seemed more like a good choice for one of the $20K stars. Maybe switch her's and Zach's around.

Finishing with the reunion with the parents was a great way to end it. I would have actually liked to see more with the parents and their reactions and comments.
Old 12-13-07, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Some excerpts from my favourite Kid Nation participator:

About making art class as important as math
A society is nothing if it does not value the arts.

About changing one or two things about the country
This is such a beautiful country and is sad what has happened to it.

About changing the world
There's so much to change about this place.

/Sophia

E

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.