Kitchen Nightmares--"Lela's"--11/21/07

Old 11-21-07, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Kitchen Nightmares--"Lela's"--11/21/07

Looks like a fun episode tonight.

Episode description:

Spoiler:
Chef Gordon Ramsay visits Pomona, CA, to try to rev up business for Lela's, an upscale restaurant in desperate need of clientele. When Gordon gets in the kitchen and starts criticizing the menu items, the executive chef is less than thrilled and they have a showdown in front of the entire staff.
Old 11-22-07, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone catch this tonight? I thought it was pretty entertaining, but it's starting to get a little repetitive. The Head Chef was an annoying prick and I cannot believe that he had a miraculous 360 degree turnaround in his personality in only a few days. One thing that is starting to really annoy me is the deceptive editing during the re-launch dinner service. Has anyone noticed that it's pretty much the same for every episode:

A) Restaurant re-launches, lots of customers pour in.
B) Customers impressed with new menu, kitchen is overwhelmed.
C) Head Chef has a meltdown and needs to be spoken to by Gordon.
D) Head Chef has a wake up call, rushes back and kitchen turns around and night finishes well.

This restaurant was a case of Gordon's help being too little too late. Sorry to see it shut down, but considering how bad Lela's debt situation was, it wasn't surprising. Too bad the money that went into the makeover was wasted.
Old 11-22-07, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Has anyone noticed that it's pretty much the same for every episode:

A) Restaurant re-launches, lots of customers pour in.
B) Customers impressed with new menu, kitchen is overwhelmed.
C) Head Chef has a meltdown and needs to be spoken to by Gordon.
D) Head Chef has a wake up call, rushes back and kitchen turns around and night finishes well.

That's pretty much the same as the much loved BBC version.
Old 11-22-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered if the owner paid the debt she owed her sister before it shut down or did the sister just lose a lot of money?

I didn’t think the restaurant would make it. The area it was in didn’t look overly busy and the people who did live/work in the area weren’t the best demographic for going to restaurants all the time. As much as Ramsay changed the menu and lowered the prices, it still wouldn’t be busy enough for Lela’s to get out of financial debt.

Although Head Chef Ricky was a prick at the beginning of the show, I liked him more than last week’s chef. He wasn’t ugly like last week’s chef either.

Good episode, only two left!
Old 11-22-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by nateman241
. He wasn’t ugly like last week’s chef either.
you arent attracted to men with bulging eyes that dont blink?

good episode though it was sad to see it closed. i think the owner had no clue at what she was doing.
Old 11-23-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Too bad the money that went into the makeover was wasted.
Yea, all $37 of it. All the "makeover" ever consists of is 2 cans of paint and some new tablecloths. They always look exactly the same, just with different colors.

Overall this was a decent episode. Buzzard had me crackin' up, but only because he was such a sleazy dumbass. The place was in a terrible location and the staff acted like it was all a joke; no wonder it closed. I'm sure the "executive chef" is working at Popeye's now.
Old 11-23-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by chino77
you arent attracted to men with bulging eyes that dont blink?

good episode though it was sad to see it closed. i think the owner had no clue at what she was doing.
I’m a strait guy, but he was fugly.

I don’t think the owner knew what she was doing either. She looked clueless the whole episode.
Old 11-23-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I enjoyed it. What a disaster of a location, etc.

Looks like next weeks crew will try to outdumbass these guys, though.

Fine dining with a garage door entrance. BRILLIANT!!!
Old 11-24-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fox really needs to look at the restaurant's books and see if its feasable for the restaurant to make a turnaround otherwise it will be a waste of Ramsay's time like this episode.
Old 11-24-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Fox really needs to look at the restaurant's books and see if its feasable for the restaurant to make a turnaround otherwise it will be a waste of Ramsay's time like this episode.
Exactly! It seems to me that Lela was so deep in the whole in debt and not even a good night or month of business could save her place.
Old 11-24-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a big fan of the show but didn't find this episode all that spectacular. I always enjoy the episodes where the owner is so deep in denial that he/she fights change the whole way through. It just amazes me how hard-headed people can be when they are going broke. Like the guy who couldn't let his menu go with the multitude of combinations.