DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Frank TV: It wasn't THAT bad (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/517868-frank-tv-wasnt-bad.html)

Triple S 11-20-07 10:49 PM

Frank TV: It wasn't THAT bad

A solid "Meh." Some things have to be 86'd right away, starting with the painful interaction with this hopefully random person to be a co-host. Way too much of...

Caliendo: How do you like (...whatever)?
Guy: I like (...see above).
Caliendo: *chuckle* watch this clip.

The clips themselves turned out to be surprisingly good. Not Chappelle good, but on par with Blue Collar TV. The Clinton Library, while re-hashing the 10 year old story, was still pretty funny. The three trailer guys as the three tenors was good. There were also some good impressions sprinkled in there, with Charles Barkley being far and away the best of the night. I DISAGREE!

All in all, for a TBS pilot that has been advertised for about three years, this may have some serious potental down the road. That is, if anybody watches it.

Goat3001 11-20-07 11:22 PM

I had a feeling that this wouldn't be terrible. The impressions he does are pretty spot on. I just refuse to see it since I can't watch anything on TBS without seeing the commercials every commercial break. I boycott anything that TBS advertises to death. Like the Bill Engvall Show.

Rogue588 11-21-07 12:43 AM

Frank could've had Rosario Dawson and Kim Kardashian bouncing on trampolines while naked and reading the cures for Cancer, AIDS and human stupidity while brokering a successful and permanent solution for world peace and I would still not watch this.

I saw enough during the MLB playoffs.

boredsilly 11-21-07 04:34 AM

He was on Howard Stern last week and I thought his impressions were fantastic. To be able to do one or two people really good amazes me, and this guy has a dozen or so really solid impersonations. I give him all the props in the world for that. Sadly, the skits weren't good. It also doesn't help that he doesn't really look like anyone (save for Clinton).

TGM 11-21-07 06:06 AM

ugh, this show is not good. The guy does some killer impressions, especially Madden and George W... but, alas, unless this show costs about 43 cents to make, it won't last long. Oh, and can TBS *STOP* squishing out it's non-widescreen in programming in HD, PLEASE?!

Toad 11-21-07 07:03 AM

I like him a lot, but the show was painful.

Charlie Goose 11-21-07 07:42 AM

Oooh, he does Clinton, GWB, Nicholson, DeNiro. That's terrific, it's not like I've heard 1000 comedians doing those impressions.

FantasticVSDoom 11-21-07 08:05 AM

Yeah, this lasted 5 mins... That first skit was pretty bad.

Red Dog 11-21-07 09:49 AM

His impressions are fantastic, but this show wasn't funny. I guess I prefer my Frank once a week on Fox NFL Sunday. He does a great job on that.

Barings 11-21-07 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I boycott anything that TBS advertises to death. Like the Bill Engvall Show.

I missed out on all the advertising, so I actually liked the Bill Engvall show when I first saw it. It was utterly innocuous.

Unfortunately, TBS is cornering the market on bland comedies with low production values the way FX has cornered the market on cutting edge dramas aimed at Gen X.

Frank TV was just a shade better than House of Payne, which was one of the most depressing comedies I had seen on television. He seems like a decent enough guy, but I got bored 30 seconds into the beginning of each skit (there wasn't enough material to qualify as a sketch -wink-).

BigDogg 11-21-07 02:32 PM

He did most of his impressions already on the first show, is he just gonna keep repeating them over n over?

UncleGramps 11-21-07 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Frank could've had Rosario Dawson and Kim Kardashian bouncing on trampolines while naked and reading the cures for Cancer, AIDS and human stupidity while brokering a successful and permanent solution for world peace and I would still not watch this.

If that happened, I would hit the mute button and watch it for about five minutes. And keep it on my Tivo for future use.

lucasorion 11-21-07 03:47 PM

The thing about this guy is that while he is extremely talented at impersonating people, he is much weaker at coming up with something to do with that impersonation.

IDrinkMolson 11-21-07 04:16 PM

I really like Frank, but had a feeling a sketch show would not work. He's best jumping from character to character. Whenever I hear him on the radio he's very funny.

Charles Barkley: "That's terrible."

JP5683 11-22-07 02:26 AM

Eh, it's ok. He does a good Madden.

I read somewhere that because of the strike, there will only be 4 episodes.

islandclaws 11-23-07 12:20 PM

I saw a 3 minute preview of this on that Regal 20 thing before a movie and that was about all I needed to see. Sure, the guy does a good Madden, but everything else was pretty blah... I'm no longer amazed when someone can do Nicholson or Pacino.