Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother - 11/19/07 - "SLAPsgiving"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother - 11/19/07 - "SLAPsgiving"

Old 11-20-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
While it is weird to have Ted telling his kids that he boned Aunt Robin again, the mechanism does do a nice job of letting them have fun with people like Bob, and the "blah blah" girl.
Old 11-20-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tuned in- pretty good show. I could've gone without the song at the end, but maybe that's a recurring theme or something that I wouldn't catch.

So Robin turns out to be the narrator's aunt?? Does the audience know who the mother is yet? I always figured it was her.
Old 11-20-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
I tuned in- pretty good show. I could've gone without the song at the end, but maybe that's a recurring theme or something that I wouldn't catch.

So Robin turns out to be the narrator's aunt?? Does the audience know who the mother is yet? I always figured it was her.
The song took the slap to the next level. At that point it became truly epic. I loved that he went to that much trouble to set the whole thing up. Barney needs a good mind-fuck now and then to keep him in line

In the future, she is "Aunt" Robin, like Lily is "Aunt" Lily and Marshall "Uncle Marshall" - calling the close family friends by those names. My wife and I do this with our kids too.

You will hear a great deal of fanwanking that puts Ted and Robin together in the future, but the show has been very clear that Robin is not the titular mother, and has even hinted we'll meet the actual person soon.
Old 11-20-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Robin is a family friend, the "aunt" is just a friendly way to show she's part of the Ted's extended family (or Robin ended up marrying a brother of Ted's). I know of many people who refer to family friends as "aunt" and "uncle" without much in the way of marriage or blood relative. The narrator is Ted. We still don't know who the mother of Ted's children is.
Old 11-20-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gotcha.

No, I understand the whole "friend as aunt" thing; I was wondering if she actually is an aunt (which would make having sex with her funnier IMO).

Anyway, I mostly watch football on Mondays, and my wife DVRs other things at 8:00, so I usually miss this show. Too bad.
Old 11-20-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic episode. I loved almost every minute of it. The song at the end was just icing on the cake.
Old 11-20-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the ending with Barney building up with the insults and the final slap after Lily says that its ok.
Old 11-21-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I finally saw an episode of this after hearing all the raves about this show. I thought it was funny but not fall-out-of-my-chair funny. How would you rank this episode overall? I'm trying to figure out if I should see more of this show.

For what it's worth, the only TV comedy I regularly see is 30 Rock.
Old 11-21-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
When Lily ruled against the slap, I knew they wouldn't cheat us like that. That would've been a major disappointment.
I SAID, "That would've been a major disappointment."
Old 11-21-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved the old guy bit - I have a 23 year-old employee who acts like this about everything I do and say (I'm 37), as if I was a fossil or something.
Old 11-21-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I SAID, "That would've been a major disappointment."
[salute]Major Disappointment[/salute]
Old 11-21-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
[salute]Major Disappointment[/salute]
That's all I wanted.
Old 11-21-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I finally saw an episode of this after hearing all the raves about this show. I thought it was funny but not fall-out-of-my-chair funny. How would you rank this episode overall? I'm trying to figure out if I should see more of this show.

For what it's worth, the only TV comedy I regularly see is 30 Rock.
It was above average for the show. Not the best, but good.

Stuff with Robin and Ted usually bring the episodes down a bit. If you can get your hands on "Robin Sparkles" from last season, you'll see what is arguably the best episode of the show.
Old 11-21-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Stuff with Robin and Ted usually bring the episodes down a bit. If you can get your hands on "Robin Sparkles" from last season, you'll see what is arguably the best episode of the show.
I agree, best episode of the series thus far. It was the original Slap Bet episode as well.
Old 11-21-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I agree, best episode of the series thus far. It was the original Slap Bet episode as well.
That is a truth fact.
Old 11-21-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm curious (between natural plans and now with the writers' strike) when the remaining slaps will be doled out.

I'm thinking they have to go SLOW with them. Milking them is a GOLD mine. It's a shame there are only two more. (Having a surprise a season would be great. Then again, who's saying that won't equal one per season left.)
Old 11-23-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I may be biased but I loved the part where Robin is trying to explain to the gang about the "real" Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-07, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I may be biased but I loved the part where Robin is trying to explain to the gang about the "real" Thanksgiving.

the hilarious thing is that explaination is fact and not some writers wacko imagination
Old 11-25-07, 09:11 PM
Banned

So, I just caught up on the last four episodes over the last couple of days, and am wondering what ever happened with Marshall and Lily's new place? At the end of that episode, they realize that it's downwind of the sewage treatment plant, but there was no indication that they changed their mind. Then in the next episode, with Ted's new gf that talked too much, she asked them about their new place and Lily explained how it has two bathrooms. And then, all of a sudden, it's like that never even happened. Everything still takes place in Ted's apartment, including the Thanksgiving dinner that Marshall and Lily "hosted". What up with that? Someone tell me I missed something.
Old 11-26-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
So, I just caught up on the last four episodes over the last couple of days, and am wondering what ever happened with Marshall and Lily's new place? At the end of that episode, they realize that it's downwind of the sewage treatment plant, but there was no indication that they changed their mind. Then in the next episode, with Ted's new gf that talked too much, she asked them about their new place and Lily explained how it has two bathrooms. And then, all of a sudden, it's like that never even happened. Everything still takes place in Ted's apartment, including the Thanksgiving dinner that Marshall and Lily "hosted". What up with that? Someone tell me I missed something.
My guess would be they are still in the process of closing the sale.