TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights -- "How Did I Get Here" --11/9/2007

Old 11-09-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "How Did I Get Here" --11/9/2007

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Landry decides to come clean with his father, and forces his dad into a situation where he must choose between being a father or a cop. Tami's sister, Shelley, comes to help Tami out with the baby. Tami's more free-spirited sister Shelly stirs things up in the Taylor household and makes Tami question her choices in life. One of the ways she shakes things up is by selling the need to live a green lifestyle, even in a less-than-progressive town like Dillon, Texas. Meanwhile, Tim Riggins is kicked off the team and must prove to Coach Taylor that he truly wants to be a part of the team.

The last "green" episode.

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-09-07 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-09-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Synopsis:

Tami's more free-spirited sister Shelly stirs things up in the Taylor household and makes Tami question her choices in life. One of the ways she shakes things up is by selling the need to live a green lifestyle, even in a less-than-progressive town like Dillon, Texas.

Whoever is running NBC needs to be shot.
Old 11-09-07, 10:38 PM

I've been patient with the Landry storyline, and have been in "wait and see" mode since the season premiere, but Landry's dad torching the car is the stupidest thing this show has done. When Landry's dad told Landry to get in the car and follow him, I was saying to myself "Please don't destroy the car. Please don't destroy the car". I was hoping that this show would be better than that. Damn shame.

I actually liked everything else about this episode.
Old 11-09-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
No, there's still Las Vegas.
Old 11-09-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Riggins boys trying to figure out how the breast pump worked was hilarious. Not a real big fan of the ex-con storyline, but at least the character hasn't been overly annoying.

New soccer coach did a good job; Eric's going to regret signing up as AD for some time...
Old 11-10-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Poor Street, he rolls one step forward, and then rolls 2 steps back.

Matt ain't timid no more. He was on it with the new cheerleader like Riggins is with a keg.

Buddy really did roll Eric over in terms of salary, but it should be funny to see how Eric handles the AD job.

Landry's "confession" to his dad was pretty riveting stuff.
Old 11-10-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI: The role of the female soccer coach was rumored to be offered to Rosie O'Donnell. Some say her camp turned it down.. others are saying that FNL never officially asked her. When she was on The View she would often plug this show (why they never had all or any of the cast on is beyond me, the Producers sent her a FNL gift basket, which she displayed on air and gave away)

I haven't seen many of the NBC's Green shows.. but I thought this one was done very subtle. I watched the first 10 min. of Vegas and 6 min was filled with 'green' references.
Old 11-10-07, 03:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MadMark
I've been patient with the Landry storyline, and have been in "wait and see" mode since the season premiere, but Landry's dad torching the car is the stupidest thing this show has done.
I agree

Good to see Matt moving on, though Julie>>>>>>>>>>> the new chick.
Old 11-10-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

just when I thought the Landry storyline couldn't get any dumber
Old 11-11-07, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah landry stuff was stupid

The football stuff was excellent

Matt and the new cheerleader and Julie seeing them make out was awesome
Old 11-11-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why is destroying Landry's car stupid? What should he have done instead?
Old 11-11-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah the Landry/Dad plotline just took a turn. They could recover VIN information or plate information. If there are only 20 of those vehicles within the area, then the investigation will eventually reach them. Isn't this a similar plot mechanic to the one Katims used in Roswell.

The season is not going well and with the strike, I am not very optimistic that this season will turn itself around.

Good:
Smash & Riggins work well together.
Tami is back at school. She is strong with the kids.
Tension between Julie & Matt is boiling.

Bad:
Matt and his Grandma where great together last season. Nothing this season.
Girls soccer coach had a very weak introduction.
Coach & Tami just aren't clicking.
Street is lost. Both in character & plot.
Old 11-11-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Based on something that was on TVGuide a few weeks back, I think that we are far from the end of the Landry thing.

Spoiler:
They said that the title of the eighth episode was "The Confession"
Old 11-11-07, 08:00 AM

I'm really hoping to see a bit more football in the upcoming episodes. I hate the Landry storyline, but at least he & his dad are showing some serious acting chops. Too bad that throwing Landry into the most seriously dramatic storyline of the series, killed any comic relief that he was so good at providing.

I really hated the huge gap between the seasons, and all of a sudden every character is a different person (except Smash). That was kinda a weird gamble with a show that was on the bubble of even coming back at all. I did feel like this was the first episode to kinda get back to what I enjoyed about last season.
Old 11-11-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, I couldn't believe they casted Kim Smith as the new girl smitten with Matt. She's far too hot for him.

Gotta love this IMDB factoid:

Graduated from Permian High School in Odessa, Texas, which is a real school portrayed in the book/movie Friday Night Lights (2004).

Last edited by Patman; 11-11-07 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-11-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still am not getting the hate for this season. I think it's been up to par with the last, and I'm ususally the first to jump on a show for dropping in quality. Oh well, to each his own...

And yes Kim Smith is mad hot.
Old 11-11-07, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Why is destroying Landry's car stupid? What should he have done instead?
If you knew someone with a GM wagon committed a crime, and then learned that someone with a connection to the crime and had a matching vehicle suddenly no longer has their vehicle, wouldn't you be curious?

The best solution would have been to do nothing. The detectives said there was no other evidence besides the carpet fiber, and being the boyfriend of the victim's victim and having a GM wagon is not enough to charge someone with murder.

What's not explained is whether the rapist drove to the store the night he was killed, and if so, whether Landry and Tyra disposed of his truck.
Old 11-11-07, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
BTW, I couldn't believe they casted Kim Smith as the new girl smitten with Matt. She's far too hot for him.

Gotta love this IMDB factoid:

Graduated from Permian High School in Odessa, Texas, which is a real school portrayed in the book/movie Friday Night Lights (2004).
Is that who played Matt's new love interest? They made her look kinda plain in this episode, but she is smoking hot. Anyone who thinks Julie is better looking(and don't get me wrong, Aimee Teegarden is a cutie), needs to do a Google search for Kim Smith's Maxim photos.

I thought the episode was great. One of the funniest they've had in a while. Landry's dad torching the car didn't seem to make much sense though. If anything, it'll make him look even more suspicious.

Oh, and props to the writers and producers of this show not caving into NBC's stupid Green Week. If I didn't know beforehand, I would've never even noticed Tami's sister's environmental tips.

Last edited by Doughboy; 11-11-07 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-11-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
It seems that with Landry's dad's ability to move unnoticed throughout the police department that destroying the evidence (carpet fibers) would have been the better bet.
Old 11-11-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe Landry's dad could get rid of the car's records through possible connections he might have with the DMV?
Old 11-11-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a small town. Everyone probably knows what kind of car that Landry drives.
Old 11-12-07, 01:59 AM

The easiest "out" for the Landry storyline is having his dad postdate a stolen vehicle report.
Old 11-12-07, 02:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't have any problem with Landry's dad torching the car.

I'm just surprised that given the stupid NBC Green Week, his dad didn't take the car down to the local scrap metal recycling center, then lecture Landry about polluting our country's rivers.
Old 11-12-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I also didn't have a problem with Landry's Dad torching the car. But, that whole storyline is way too Day Time soap opera-rish. Maybe these episodes were created while Jason Katims, the head writer and showrunner, was on sabbatical helping Bionic Woman.

Does Riggins even go to class? Seems like he stays home all day and gets wasted.

I know Street has graduated already since he mentioned he was 19. What about Lyla? Has she already graduated? So after Smash and Riggins graduates in the spring, is Saracen the only one left?
Old 11-12-07, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the things that irritated me last year was the statement by producers that the main cast won't change. They will find away to keep them in Dillon. Street and Tyra have both stated that the town traps you in and maybe that is as fundamental to the show as football. I want people to come and go ... heck even die.

The show has lost that sense of community. The parties where they get together or just run into each other at burger place. Now, Everyone is running in a separate click. Lost does this as well and it supposedly saves you a ton of money when you have a large cast.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.