DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Kitchen Nightmares - "Sebastian's" - 11/8 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516678-kitchen-nightmares-sebastians-11-8-a.html)

jeffkjoe 11-08-07 03:04 PM

Kitchen Nightmares - "Sebastian's" - 11/8

Did anyone watch last night's show?

For the record, Sebastian's is the only restaurant NOT to feature an "update" on the show, because apparently the owner didn't keep any of Chef Ramsay's changes. (Except for the free makeover).

Here's a post from Sebastian himself from Yelp! the online restaurant review site:

hello this is Sebastian the owner and chef at Sebastians so many friends that are chefs told me never reply to peoples coments on review sites because they said half of them have no clue what they are talking about. I dissagree i think the people who suport my restaurant should speak thier minds. In this buissness you are never going to please everyone but all we can do is try. Some people don't have a clue and others are just mad at life no matter what. As far as the comments made by SHIN P i have been open for three years and not only have i had an A letter grade but we have had more than once scored a perfect hundred and i remember your friends party and matter of fact they sent me an email a few days later telling me what a great time all of thier guest had. STEPHEN B said that his fries were soggy and he wasn't impresed it is impossible for the fries we use to come out soggy and from what i read of all your reviews it sounds like your one of those people i spoke about at the begining of this response.

To everyone else i care about what you think and here is my contact # 818-509-8405 if there is ever a problem please do not hesitate to contact me asap so i can fix it......and unlike what STEPHEN B said i am there AAALLL THE TIME.

So thank you for suporting us FOR THREE YEARS

AND WE DID THE KITCHEN NIGHTMARES THING BECAUSE THEY WROTE US A HUGE CHECK

http://sebastiansrestaurant.com/http...U_yLqYmkrvVHAg

Timber 11-08-07 03:08 PM

This show is just bad. They gave the guy a top of the line dough mixer and apparently a huge check and all he has to do is be embarrassed and act like a fool on TV.

Did anyone catch the "now casting" thing on the bottom of the screen? Was that them telling us that the show is a set up?

jeffkjoe 11-08-07 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
This show is just bad. They gave the guy a top of the line dough mixer and apparently a huge check and all he has to do is be embarrassed and act like a fool on TV.

Did anyone catch the "now casting" thing on the bottom of the screen? Was that them telling us that the show is a set up?

I think the whole casting thing means they're casting for more troubled restaurants to help on the show, not for actors to look like cooks.

----

Norm de Plume 11-08-07 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
hello this is Sebastian the owner and chef at Sebastians so many friends that are chefs told me never reply to peoples coments on review sites because they said half of them have no clue what they are talking about. I dissagree i think the people who suport my restaurant should speak thier minds. In this buissness you are never going to please everyone but all we can do is try. Some people don't have a clue and others are just mad at life no matter what. As far as the comments made by SHIN P i have been open for three years and not only have i had an A letter grade but we have had more than once scored a perfect hundred and i remember your friends party and matter of fact they sent me an email a few days later telling me what a great time all of thier guest had. STEPHEN B said that his fries were soggy and he wasn't impresed it is impossible for the fries we use to come out soggy and from what i read of all your reviews it sounds like your one of those people i spoke about at the begining of this response.

To everyone else i care about what you think and here is my contact # 818-509-8405 if there is ever a problem please do not hesitate to contact me asap so i can fix it......and unlike what STEPHEN B said i am there AAALLL THE TIME.

The clown needs to go back to school and start with grade 5 English. There's nary a punctuation mark to found in the entire paragraph, not to mention that every second word is misspelled.

jeffkjoe 11-08-07 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
The clown needs to go back to school and start with grade 5 English. There's nary a punctuation mark to found in the entire paragraph, not to mention that every second word is misspelled.

He's just a low-class guy who admittedly used the show's paycheck to fund his liquor license.

Matthew Chmiel 11-08-07 03:58 PM

What an asshole. :thmbsdwn:

Norm de Plume 11-08-07 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
who admittedly used the show's paycheck to fund his liquor license.

This is one reason the show should take its cues from the British version and not offer money or makeovers, only advice. Otherwise this jagoff's blatant scam will not be the first (Edit: I meant "...it will not be the last".:o)

ben12 11-08-07 04:45 PM

What I didn't understand was why he was so set on that 20 flavor combinations bullshit. What's the difference between doing that and doing a few set pizzas that allow customers to make substitutions on? Whenever I go to a restaurant and the waiter asks me if I've been there before, I know I'm in for a boring explanation about their menu. As long as you allow substitutions and changes, there's no reason to have this complicated a menu!

MadMark 11-08-07 06:49 PM

What I don't like about the FOX version of this show is that none of these restaurants have deserved to be rescued by Ramsay. I would not be surprised if the people responsible for finding the idiots for Hell's Kitchen are also responsible for finding the restaurants for this show.

What a surprise, after Ramsay left, the dumbass brought back the 20 flavor combinations.

"Pittsburgh" = sautéed spinach, Swiss cheese, fresh-squeezed lemon cracked black pepper, garlic and capers :hscratch:

"Fudgie Wudgie Chocolate Cake" -ohbfrank-

And it's Margherita pizza, not Margarita pizza. But who would expect someone who uses brought in frozen pizza dough in their wood fire pizza oven to know that? Even our local, hole-in-the-wall pizza joint that caters to poor college kids ($5 Large cheese pizzas) makes their dough from scratch.

DJariya 11-08-07 08:16 PM

That guy was such an ungrateful SOB. I was really pissed off seeing that Jackass throw a tantrum even though his employees and customers were happy with the new menu. I'm surprised that Gordon was able to tolerate him.

Looks like his new menu is less complicated than the 20 combination bullshit.

http://sebastiansrestaurant.com/menu//

Timber 11-08-07 08:21 PM

So it's going to cost you $6 to add a frozen Portabello to a salad?

Kelkee 11-09-07 06:54 AM

This was probably my favorite episode of the American version so far. Watching this guy act like a complete fool had me rolling.

You could tell that Ramsey was holding back in his confrontations because he knew this guy was a complete fake and highly unstable.

C-Mart 11-09-07 10:25 AM

I was actually thinking of trying this place out, as I am in Burbank all the time... but I have no doubt that he went back to the frozen food crap, so I think I'll pass it. I saw on Fox's message board that a lot of people were comparing this guy's use of frozen food to places like Applebee's and Chili's. I think that's way off base... I mean I'm sure that those places use frozen food, but I'm certain that their food is made for them. The stuff that Sebastian uses is just generic crap. Anyone work at one of those places that can confirm or deny that theory?

C-Mart 11-09-07 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kelkee
This was probably my favorite episode of the American version so far. Watching this guy act like a complete fool had me rolling.

You could tell that Ramsey was holding back in his confrontations because he knew this guy was a complete fake and highly unstable.

If I were Ramsey and he went off like that on me I would have said "fine... boys pack up the mixer and everything else we put into this place... we're outta here!" I marveled at how quickly he turned around. I'm sure after his outburst the producers probably sat down with him and explained that he was under contract to complete the show, which included accepting the changes, and if I he didn't comply then they would pull all the makeover stuff out and not pay him.

Kelkee 11-09-07 10:38 AM

As Ramsey has stated over and over again there is a big difference between being a cook and a chef.

This guy doesnt even qualify as a good cook. Applebees and Chilis have their own corporate chefs that create menus.

This guy just buys in frozen crap and sells it as his own. Can someone explain how buying in frozen pizza dough is more profitable that making it fresh?

Thats just lazy and you will never succeed in the food industry being lazy.

Kelkee 11-09-07 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
If I were Ramsey and he went off like that on me I would have said "fine... boys pack up the mixer and everything else we put into this place... we're outta here!" I marveled at how quickly he turned around. I'm sure after his outburst the producers probably sat down with him and explained that he was under contract to complete the show, which included accepting the changes, and if I he didn't comply then they would pull all the makeover stuff out and not pay him.

Now that you mention this that is exactly what must have happened. I thought his 'change' was too quick, and in looking back now and obvious put on.

Shipwreck 11-09-07 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Now that you mention this that is exactly what must have happened. I thought his 'change' was too quick, and in looking back now and obvious put on.

I agree. The guy was having a melt down because his crappy menu was being tossed out and replaced with a simple, good menu that people like. He was crying and drinking and having a tantrum, then suddenly he walked back in all red eyed and pale saying "Yes, Chef!" What a moron.

I loved Ramsay's response to Sebastian's declaration that one day he was going to be in supermarkets. "What?!"

Looks like Sebastian lucked out and married a woman with a ton of money, so he does not have to worry about his business making money. And what was up with the drinking on the job?

nateman 11-09-07 12:23 PM

I was really pissed… I missed this episode!

I caught the first 10 minutes, then all of a sudden… the tape (yes, VHS, I live in the 80s) jumps or something really strange and it went strait to the other show I taped on the tape, Life.

Does anyone know if there is anyway I could see this episode?

DJariya 11-09-07 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I was really pissed… I missed this episode!

I caught the first 10 minutes, then all of a sudden… the tape (yes, VHS, I live in the 80s) jumps or something really strange and it went strait to the other show I taped on the tape, Life.

Does anyone know if there is anyway I could see this episode?

Can you watch this on fox on demand in Canada?

www.fox.com/fod

All the episodes are available on there.

TeamAnS 11-09-07 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart

Sebastian may not even believe that crap he was spewing. Remember, he said that he was a part time actor. I think that he overinflated the tantrum in hopes of getting good clips for either his career or to further pump up the ratings for his episode. He most likely had no intentions of listening to Chef Ramsey but rather wanted the free ad time and also the gifts.

Big Boy Laroux 11-09-07 01:26 PM

which is exactly why this show should do away with the gifts. but as someone said in a previous Kitchen Nightmares post, all reality tv has to have some sort of prize or americans won't care.

ben12 11-09-07 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
which is exactly why this show should do away with the gifts. but as someone said in a previous Kitchen Nightmares post, all reality tv has to have some sort of prize or americans won't care.

The Nanny shows don't have prizes. I really like those.

Keith6601 11-09-07 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ben12

Your kids aren't brats anymore. That's the biggest prize on any show.

Sebastian must not do the shopping or he would know that he is already in stores. They've just been renamed to Digiorno or Red Baron.

bluetoast 11-09-07 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Timber

I think that was telling us that there's a writer's strike going on.

C-Mart 11-09-07 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ben12

I saw Supernanny give a family a vacation one time. I don't watch the show that often though.