Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Ozzy
Thirded... oh wait a minute!

Chris
Old 01-30-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Did anyone watch the "preview" show on TV Guide Network? I only found it trying to program the real show on my DVR. Kind of interesting, kind of lame, hosted by Todd, but some of the stuff I think I would have preferred to have had revealed in the first episode.
Old 01-30-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Did anyone watch the "preview" show on TV Guide Network? I only found it trying to program the real show on my DVR. Kind of interesting, kind of lame, hosted by Todd, but some of the stuff I think I would have preferred to have had revealed in the first episode.
I saw one of those previews on TV Guide Network a couple years back (for Guatemala I believe). I found it to be completely lame and wouldn't watch another.
Old 01-30-08, 11:59 PM

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/n...round-6474.php

New 'Survivor' deal an "easy decision" for Jeff Probst this time around

By Christopher Rocchio, 01/30/2008

If Survivor host Jeff Probst's recent contract extension negotiations seemed to go a lot quieter than his talks from two years ago, there's a good reason.

"The truth [is that] part of that [was] it was time to renegotiate a contract," Probst told reporters during a Tuesday conference call. "I'd had a contract for a long time. It was the same one I signed early on. I wanted a different contract, and I was willing to consider leaving if we couldn't come to terms. That's the honest truth."

CBS announced on Wednesday that -- in addition to ordering two more editions of Survivor for broadcast during the 2008-2009 season -- Probst signed a new agreement to continue to helm the hit reality series.

According to a CBS publicist, the new deal ensures Probst will remain with Survivor through the show's twentieth season, assuming the show eventually receives another two-edition renewal for the 2009-2010 season.

"All you have to really do is step inside my shoes for a single moment and you'd understand why I'm still on Survivor -- I travel the world; I get to host and produce one of the most fascinating shows on television; and I get paid more money than any college dropout should ever dream of making," Probst told reporters. "And when I'm not working? I have a lot of free time to think about what a great life I have. So for me, it was an easy decision."

Back in Fall 2005 when Probst' previous contract was set to expire following the show's Spring 2006 installment, it wasn't such an easy decision to come back.

"I had reached a point where it was hard for me to be gone -- physically gone from my life," he explained on Wednesday. "It was just -- emotionally -- I was finding it unsettling. I kind of had a period where I really wanted to be home more. I spent a lot of time thinking about how I could readjust my life to be more comfortable with that, and I started reminding myself of all the incredibly gifts that Survivor affords me -- like the house I'm sitting in right now. I kind of had an attitude adjustment."

That "attitude adjustment" prompted Probst to sign a new two-year contract in December 2005, which took him through filming for Survivor: Micronesia -- Fans vs. Favorites, the sixteenth installment of the show that will premiere Thursday, February 7 at 8PM ET/PT.

"I think the reason that Survivor's still on the air and why it's endured is great storytelling," Probst explained. "I've always felt that Survivor is Joseph Campbell at its best. It's unscripted, real-life drama. Everybody in this game is on their own journey, and they leave their ordinary life behind and they embark on this adventure that will forever change their lives."

Probst said whether castaways have the dubious distinction of being the first one booted or make it all the way to the final Tribal Council, "their lives are forever changed" by the experience.

"They face obstacles. They almost always experience a spiritual death -- whether it's literally being voted out, which is a death in this game -- or whether it's finding yourself so low you don't know how you're ever going to make it," he said. "You think about quitting, and then you dig deep and you rebirth and you're a renewed person."

The Survivor frontman knew that must sound "really corny," but added it isn't if you're in his position.

"I don't think it is," he continued. "I sit out there and watch these people cry and cry and cry, and say, 'I think I've got to go home and can't do it.' Then someone comes up and says, 'Just hang in there another day.' Before you know it, they're kicking ass on Day 35 and they've got a shot at $1 million. That is a death and a rebirth and your life is forever changed."

In addition to being unsure when he'll eventually end up hanging up his Survivor hat for good, he also doesn't know when viewers will finally be able to see it in HDTV format.

"They're still debating about HD and the cost," he said. "I think everybody wants us to do it, it's just a matter of CBS saying we're going to do it and here's the extra money. I'm not sure. I can tell you personally, I don't mind if we don't shoot in HD for a while. I've seen what I look like in HD -- not too flattering."

After eight years on the air, Probst said he still gets people on the street who tell him they never miss an episode of Survivor, and he thinks he knows why.

"We stay true to our show. We don't change," he said. "Somebody asked, 'What's the difference between a legitimate twist and a cheesy twist,' and I said, 'It's perception' -- and it is. We could have taken a lot of different roads, and every season we come back and we say, 'Let's adjust the creative a little bit, but let's do the same show we always do, just a little different.' Because that's what you expect. You hear the music, you see the open, and you remember, 'Oh yeah! I'm in good hands.'"

Chris
Old 01-31-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Thirded... oh wait a minute!

Chris
Chris if you ever "switch teams", you need to come on down to Nashville.
Old 01-31-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Great article, mrpayroll. Thanks!
Old 02-05-08, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Great article, mrpayroll. Thanks!
I have an even better one!

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/r...nesia-6496.php

Report: CBS had planned on ending 'Survivor' after 'Micronesia'

By Steve Rogers and Christopher Rocchio, 02/05/2008

Although it wouldn't seem to make much sense, CBS reportedly spent last summer expecting Survivor's upcoming sixteenth Micronesia -- Fans vs. Favorites edition to be the long-running reality show's last.

CBS executives, Survivor producers and host Jeff Probst spent last summer "bracing for the finish" of Survivor, according to a report in Entertainment Weekly's February 8 issue. "Micronesia was supposed to be it: the end of Survivor," according to the EW report, which credits this past fall's Survivor: China edition for sparking a creative "renaissance" and subsequent ratings revival that caused CBS to change its plans.

"A lot of us thought maybe the end was on the horizon," CBS programming chief Kelly Kahl told EW in a comment that, despite the definitive nature of its report, actually stops short of actually confirming the magazine's Survivor cancellation claims.

When reached on Tuesday, a CBS spokesperson told Reality TV world she was not aware of the report but the network regularly has internal discussions about all its shows that are up for possible renewal. The spokesperson also noted CBS had just ordered two more Survivor editions for broadcast during the 2008-2009 season and inked Probst to another two-year agreement that, assuming the show eventually receives another two-edition renewal for the 2009-2010 season, ensures Probst will remain with Survivor through the show's twentieth season.

Regardless of CBS' comments, any move to definitively pre-determine Survivor's cancellation would have been an unexpected and highly unusual decision. Although Survivor's ratings have declined -- a problem many other broadcast television shows have also experienced over the last few years -- from the 20+ million viewers average that made Top 10 shows out of each of its first ten seasons, the show has still remained a strong ratings performer.

Despite facing the show's strongest competition since NBC's Friends went off the air in May 2004, Survivor's Fall 2006 Cook Islands and Spring 2007 Fiji editions each still ranked among the 2006-2007 primetime season's Top 20 shows and consistently won the Thursdays at 8PM ET/PT time period among viewers and key ratings demographics.

"We're annihilating the competition," Probst noted to Entertainment Weekly. "For all the press that a show like Ugly Betty or My Name is Earl gets, they don't have the numbers."

Survivor: Cook Islands averaged 15.75 million total viewers and placed No. 14 in the season viewership rankings when the 2006-2007 season ended in May 2007. The ranking -- which, due to summer repeat broadcasts of other shows, actually increased to No. 11 by the formal September 2007 end of the 2006-2007 season -- left the show ranked behind only American Idol (No. 1 and 2), Dancing with the Stars (No. 3, 6, 7, 9), CSI (No. 4), House (No. 5), Grey's Anatomy (No. 8), Lost (No. 10), Desperate Housewives (No. 11), CSI: Miami (No. 12), and NBC Sunday Night Football (No. 13).

And while the Entertainment Weekly report cited Probst's recent candid acknowledgement that he "would have loved to have just erased" Survivor: Fiji because it didn't work for "creative" and "casting" reasons, the season still averaged 14.83 million total viewers and finished No. 17 in the May 2006 rankings of the 2006-2007 season's viewership averages, with only Without a Trace (No. 15) and Deal or No Deal (No. 16) separating it from Cook Islands.

Chris
Old 02-06-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
I always assumed the HD cameras were too large to lug around out there. Maybe that's old-generation cameras.
Old 02-07-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
What a strange thing for CBS to almost do (if true). If this had happened, would there be anything stopping Burnett from shopping a top 20, non-scripted, no actors show around to another network?