Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

11/08/07 - My Name is Earl - Randy In Charge (...Of Our Days and Our Nights)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summary:

The Warden asks Earl to take on a task of forming a skit called, "Scared Straight" that will scare kids from committing crimes and stay out of jail. The Warden asks Earl to incorporate environmental friendly "green" messages into his presentation, based off a request from his wife, the governor. Meanwhile, Randy gets into a fight with Earl about who is in charge between the two of them, and uses his guard privileges to make Earl's life difficult.
Old 11-08-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
An episode that is Randy-centric. Ugh. At least it is not an hour this week.
Old 11-08-07, 04:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 'scared straight' angle sounds promising, but the addition of the 'green' theme sounds like something they tried to squeeze in last minute to fit NBC's green week thing. We'll see.
Old 11-08-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm sure Earl and Randy are going to think making it "green" means wearing green clothes, like on St. Patrick's Day.
Old 11-08-07, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
The 'scared straight' angle sounds promising, but the addition of the 'green' theme sounds like something they tried to squeeze in last minute to fit NBC's green week thing. We'll see.
Oh ye of little faith. Easily the best use of the green theme all week.
Old 11-08-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was a great episode. Loved practically every thing about it.
Old 11-08-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish the writers would have thrown in "Don't tase me, bro!" when Randy was threatening Earl with the taser. That would have left me howling.

Excellent use of the green theme this week.
Old 11-08-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Randy and Earl's argument right before the taser episode was classic!

What a great episode! Talk about a pickup from the very beginning of the season.
Old 11-09-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the "green" was forced and reduced the funny. It looked like they shoehorned it in as an afterthought.
Old 11-09-07, 09:29 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
it was definitely shoehorned in as an afterthought. That was the point. thus Earl saying that if he tried to incorporate a green theme into his "scared straight" performance, it would seem forced. Then he was told to do it because his boss told him to. Obviously represents what all the shows were told to do by NBC.
Old 11-09-07, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
it was definitely shoehorned in as an afterthought. That was the point. thus Earl saying that if he tried to incorporate a green theme into his "scared straight" performance, it would seem forced. Then he was told to do it because his boss told him to. Obviously represents what all the shows were told to do by NBC.
The exact reason why this episode was excellent and also a great jab at some crappy product (or in this case, “Green”) placement by ding, dong, ding… NBC.

Another great episode of Earl this season and unlike most people who’ve hated this season so far; I’ve been lovin’ it!

Nice to see Craig T. Nelson back, one thing I think the writers could’ve done to make the episodes that Craig T. Nelson is in; make Shelley Fabares (his wife on Coach, Mike Farrell’s real wife) his wife. That would’ve been a great gag. Maybe I’ll get really lucky and Jerry Van Dyke will make a guest appearance.
Old 11-09-07, 01:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
i don't think this season as a whole has been bad, just the cops abomination last week.
Old 11-09-07, 04:29 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seriously, why do people keep reading "I hated the Cops episode" as "I HATED THIS ENTIRE SEASON AND ITS ENTIRE CONCEPT!"?

Hating one episode doesn't equal "I hate the show now". It's not a tough concept to grasp.

Anyway, great episode this week.