DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Life -- "A Civil War" -- 11/7/2007 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516526-life-civil-war-11-7-2007-a.html)

rfduncan 11-07-07 08:16 AM

Life -- "A Civil War" -- 11/7/2007

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Crews and Reese investigate the murder of two Iranian Americans and kidnapping of another. Not sure if this is a hate crime or not they try to work with the kidnappers. What they uncover is a boy trying to earn his mother's love. Ted becomes concerned about Crews' impulsiveness when he wants to buy a solar farm after having a dream.

Enter another show NBC has slapped a "green" storyline onto. :brickwl2:

aktick 11-07-07 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Crews and Reese investigate the murder of two Iranian Americans and kidnapping of another. Not sure if this is a hate crime or not they try to work with the kidnappers. What they uncover is a boy trying to earn his mother's love. Ted becomes concerned about Crews' impulsiveness when he wants to buy a solar farm after having a dream.

Enter another show NBC has slapped a "green" storyline onto. :brickwl2:

Do what I do every time I'm preached to about saving the planet - turn on another light, rev up your engine, or cut down a tree. :p

The funniest thing about all of this NBC "save the planet" stuff this week is that some people are actually falling for it, thinking NBC (GE) really cares. Ummm, no, they are a massive corporation that is going to make a killing by getting people to buy into alternative energy.

DJariya 11-07-07 11:29 AM

I'm finally caught up with this show. It's one of the best new procedural's this season . I agree that the "Save the Planet" stuff and the green logos is getting really annoying.

cracksky 11-07-07 11:42 PM

I turned on every light in the house and enjoyed the show. :D

Flay 11-08-07 06:14 AM

I got a kick out of the terrible video game montage towards the end of the show.

First off, that kid would have owned an Xbox 360 with that kind of money. Secondly, playing Prince of Persia to access secret data files is beyond stupid. Yank out the hard drive and get the spreadsheet.

wmansir 11-08-07 07:30 AM

That extended video game montage was horrible in so many ways. When it was followed by the campfire scene and singing montage it just killed the episode for me.

dgmayor 11-08-07 07:37 AM

You know, it's not the late 80's/early 90's anymore. Computers, the Internet and video games are not some obscure niche in American culture. This is everyday stuff that the majority of people that watch these shows use on a daily basis. Why they keep using technology as some mystical power is driving me nuts.

wmansir 11-08-07 07:41 AM

What you mean you've never spilled soda on a keyboard and had the monitor go all wavy and flickering? I guess having a stuck 'b' key wouldn't have been dramatic enough.

actionjackson29 11-08-07 09:56 AM

Isn't the redhead his new stepmom? Why does she keep showing up its like they're trying to set her up to be his friend's love interest.

mugwump 11-08-07 10:06 AM

I'm still enjoying the show but could pretty much do without the increasingly weak mysteries o' the day. They seem to make less and less sense as the show progresses. Lets just get on track with finding the double-crossers alright?

I was actually pretty pleased to see that the guy was using an original Xbox. I highly doubt that any of the writers had an actual clue but the old Xbox is much more hackable and customizable than the 360. Still, hiding your top secret spreadsheet within a hard-coded game is pretty, um, impossible. Guess they wanted to tie in that whole Prince of Persia angle. And the way the sister was mashing on those buttons she would have been better off playing Galaga.

ANDREMIKE 11-08-07 10:17 AM

that redhead was hot. someone post her pic...

nateman 11-08-07 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Flay
I got a kick out of the terrible video game montage towards the end of the show.

First off, that kid would have owned an Xbox 360 with that kind of money. Secondly, playing Prince of Persia to access secret data files is beyond stupid. Yank out the hard drive and get the spreadsheet.

Well believe it not, some people can’t afford things like that and maybe that’s why they decided to use an Xbox rather than an Xbox 360. Probably not though, but that would be my excuse though if I got caught with being lazy and just “phoning-In” the script.

I really wish these shows would stop with the video game themes though; or at least do it half decently. Other than that it was a pretty good episode and the “Reese’s father has the money” angle could be interesting in the coming weeks. I “Case of the Week” wasn’t great, but it was stronger than some of the earlier episodes cases. I liked when Crews said “it involves funny noises and flickering lights”, in regards to the computer he screwed up by pouring an energy drink on so he could find out that information that revealed Reese’s fathers name.

Good episode, although not as good as last weeks.

Patman 11-08-07 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
that redhead was hot. someone post her pic...

That is Christina Hendricks (better known as "Our Mrs. Reynolds" on Firefly). She is really brings out the oomph factor in HDTV. :D

RocShemp 11-09-07 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flay

I was bothered by this as well. I kept wondering who thought it was a good idea to have a montage of random sequences PoP:TTT as a means of hacking secured files. -obfrank-