DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Unit, Five Brothers, 11/06/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516504-unit-five-brothers-11-06-07-a.html)

uteotw 11-06-07 10:05 PM

The Unit, Five Brothers, 11/06/07

Whoa. I did not see that coming.

I thought I had remembered something about them "losing one of their own," but by the end I thought I must've remembered it wrong and that Grey was going to pull through, barely.

Superb hour of television.

R.I.P., Hector.

Ranger 11-06-07 10:10 PM

yeah, I'd have been fine with bob or grey going instead.

tiffy sure gave that guy a beating.

The Bus 11-06-07 10:27 PM

Hey! Hey!

PUT THAT !@#% IN SPOILERS

uteotw 11-06-07 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Hey! Hey!

PUT THAT !@#% IN SPOILERS

Not really necessary, considering it's 10:30 p.m. CST, meaning the show ended here 1 1/2 hours ago, and if someone's reading just before airtime on the West coast, for example, you gotta be aware there'll be spoilers.

But if you're in Delaware, the show's over too, so...?

(FAQ: "It's common practice in this forum that thread titles that consist of the show title and it's air date WILL contain spoilers, regardless of a warning in the thread title. Enter at you're own risk!")

Ranger 11-06-07 11:01 PM

Spoiler nazis. I hate spoiler nazis. :)

bunkaroo 11-06-07 11:02 PM

So anyone else think Ryan paid someone to snipe him?

Seems a little TOO convenient given the ending of last week's episode.

whoopdido 11-06-07 11:28 PM

Did the Unit get some new writers or something? Even taking the "shock" of this episode out of the equation the entire season has been superb in my opinion.

It seemed like every single episode last year was exactly the same and I was getting really bored. This season has been great however. For the first time I was really starting to like all 5 guys. Too bad there's only 4 now. I'm loving Bob's new bad-ass attitude.

Noonan 11-07-07 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Oh, I didn't think of that. Good call. Next week will be interesting.

lisadoris 11-07-07 07:18 AM

Couldn't they have killed someone else? I liked Hector but since the writers actually gave him lines and things to do in the last few episodes it was inevitable that he wouldn't make it.

Mysteryfan 11-07-07 09:18 AM

Never saw it coming. And I agree, they should have gotten rid of Bob or Grey.

Does anyone know if they will be bringing someone new into the unit?

uteotw 11-07-07 09:42 AM

Wow--never thought of that either. I know it's bad what Ryan's doing, but it seems less bad now considering he's left his wife and Tiffany & Mack split up too. Would Ryan have one of his own guys assasinated just to cover up that? I'd sure like to think not, but you never know... Either way, he sure won't be that upset at Hector's death.

To me Bob's the main guy after Jonas, so I'm glad it wasn't him to go. When he shot that kid, that was harsh and brilliantly played.

Jeeden 11-07-07 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw
Wow--never thought of that either. I know it's bad what Ryan's doing, but it seems less bad now considering he's left his wife and Tiffany & Mack split up too. Would Ryan have one of his own guys assasinated just to cover up that? I'd sure like to think not, but you never know... Either way, he sure won't be that upset at Hector's death.

To me Bob's the main guy after Jonas, so I'm glad it wasn't him to go. When he shot that kid, that was harsh and brilliantly played.

I don't think he would have him shot to cover up his affair. Especially when you consider how he stuck it out earlier in the season to protect his men. He isn't going to give them up for a woman.

Also,
Spoiler:
the previews for next week seem to suggest a well known sniper in that part of the world is to blame

Bob shooting the kid in the hall.... "yea....I know"

Just a great, intense episode.

I will miss Hector though, loved watching him beat up the guy for Anna in the parking lot.

I wonder if this will make Tiffy and Mac realize how short life is and get them back together?

whoopdido 11-07-07 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeden
I don't think he would have him shot to cover up his affair. Especially when you consider how he stuck it out earlier in the season to protect his men. He isn't going to give them up for a woman.

Also,
Spoiler:
the previews for next week seem to suggest a well known sniper in that part of the world is to blame

Bob shooting the kid in the hall.... "yea....I know"

Just a great, intense episode.

I will miss Hector though, loved watching him beat up the guy for Anna in the parking lot.

I wonder if this will make Tiffy and Mac realize how short life is and get them back together?

Why would either of them want to get back with each other? Mac's a great soldier but a terrible husband and don't even get me started on Tiffy's problems.

bunkaroo 11-07-07 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw

As harsh as that was, my first thought was "Well he told you not to move dumbass".

bunkaroo 11-07-07 10:24 AM

The more I think about it I agree I don't think Ryan would take Hector out. But the timing of the two events makes you wonder.

I mean, look how long they lingered on Hector and Ryan looking at each other at the motel. Maybe Ryan was afraid Mac would kill him?

Of course one would have to assume Hector would have had plenty of time to tell Mac on their way to their next mission.

Still, why set that up only to have it drop like this?

Also, I'm not sure how everyone else's episode descriptions came through, but when I looked at the info for this episode on my DVD it said something like "Grey gets injured; the team suffers a devastating loss."

Why not just run commercials saying someone dies? I'll have to learn not to read those things anymore.

uteotw 11-07-07 11:35 AM

The more I think about it I agree I don't think Ryan would take Hector out. But the timing of the two events makes you wonder.

I mean, look how long they lingered on Hector and Ryan looking at each other at the motel. Maybe Ryan was afraid Mac would kill him?

Of course one would have to assume Hector would have had plenty of time to tell Mac on their way to their next mission.

Still, why set that up only to have it drop like this?

Also, I'm not sure how everyone else's episode descriptions came through, but when I looked at the info for this episode on my DVD it said something like "Grey gets injured; the team suffers a devastating loss."

Why not just run commercials saying someone dies? I'll have to learn not to read those things anymore.

They actually DID run commercials saying something like "The Team loses one of their own," but the twist was we were to think it was Grey all along (which I did) only to be jolted by Hector getting hit. But you're right--that episode description from the guide makes it seem like it would be someone other than Grey, since he just gets "injured."

Maybe it did just work out like that for Ryan, like in the Sopranos when Tony wanted Richie dead and Janice shot him, he could barely contain his smile at his good fortune...

Ranger 11-07-07 01:02 PM

If Ryan is responsible, I'm sure the writers would have Hector leave some notes about him.

Dear Unit pals,

If I am killed, suspect Ryan because I know his big secret which is the affair with Tiffy.

Best wishes,
Hector

Jeeden 11-07-07 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
If Ryan is responsible, I'm sure the writers would have Hector leave some notes about him.

rotfl

Maybe it will make Tiffy and Ryan quit because the guilt of having to face Hector that night will bother them both so much!

Also, who thinks that Grey and Anna will now get together since Hector said "you can have her" to Grey? I'm sure that either Grey will be there for her or the other way around and it will turn into something more.

Also,

I say not the next episode, but the one after that will be the introduction of Hector's replacement....and the team will have a hard time accepting him.

mrpayroll 11-07-07 05:08 PM

I just saw this at lunch today and agree that it was a great episode and this season has been the best since the first part of Season 1.

But, I'm going to come at this from a different angle. A 'real world' angle. I didn't like that they infringed upon the lives of innocent people and endangered those lives in the process. This was Lebanon and we are not at war with Lebanon. If this had been Iraq, then okay.

So, I wasn't really rooting for our boys during this episode, because they had no right to take over that families life and in the process kill their oldest son, who was only trying to protect his family. Of course, if he had just kept his mouth shut, our guys would have left and he and his family would have been shaken but okay.

It would be just as if any one of you were having dinner with your family here in the U.S. and a bunch of strangers busted in to take refuge. In doing so, they endanger the lives of your whole family and you have nothing to do with their dispute.

I'm surprised none of you mentioned that here. Just something to think about.

Chris

IamFlip 11-07-07 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeden
I say not the next episode, but the one after that will be the introduction of Hector's replacement....and the team will have a hard time accepting him.

I don't think it will happen like that. The Unit, just like any other special forces, depends on each of its members to functions as one to successfully complete a mission. The Unit will mourn their dead member and their acceptance of the replacement will depend on whether they can work together as one or not. Just like when Bob joined the team (i can really remember if he was a replacement or just an additional member), he was tested and observed by the team before he was fully accepted as one of them.

It would be nice to see a female shooter (like Demi Moore's character in G.I Jane) as a replacement for Hector.

the big train 11-07-07 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I just saw this at lunch today and agree that it was a great episode and this season has been the best since the first part of Season 1.

But, I'm going to come at this from a different angle. A 'real world' angle. I didn't like that they infringed upon the lives of innocent people and endangered those lives in the process. This was Lebanon and we are not at war with Lebanon. If this had been Iraq, then okay.

I don't really see how it makes any difference that it was Lebanon. They were rescuing a journalist who had been abducted and the circumstances (a roving militia) dictated that they act the way they did.

mrpayroll 11-07-07 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by the big train
I don't really see how it makes any difference that it was Lebanon. They were rescuing a journalist who had been abducted and the circumstances (a roving militia) dictated that they act the way they did.

Then the worlds view of the U.S. as a big bully has been justified! :(

Chris

whoopdido 11-07-07 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Then the worlds view of the U.S. as a big bully has been justified! :(

Chris

How else were they supposed to care for their fallen comrade? They had no other choice. Grey would have died on the street had they not entered that family's house to fix him up. All they did was burst in, put Grey on the table, took some sheets and asked them to keep quiet. I'm not saying that any of them deserved to die, but they were asked repeatedly to keep quiet and not to move. It was very important that nobody knew the Unit guys were there so when the dude took off running what other choice did Bob have? Basically it was either the kid or them. As others have said all they had to do was keep quiet and the Unit guys would have eventually gone on their way.

We may not technically be at war with Lebanon, but it was still a hostile environment and the same rules apply.

PopcornTreeCt 11-08-07 12:55 AM

Good episode. I hope they can keep giving us a huge twist at the very last 2 minutes of every show.

lucasorion 11-08-07 07:11 AM

sorry, but I hold people responsible for acting reasonably and using reason all the time - and that kid was not thinking about what was best to protect his family. He knew (or should have known) that his family was not in danger from these soldiers as long as they just sat still and waited for them to leave. He acted irrationally, and Bob did what the kid should have expected him to do in response.