DirecTV Video-on-Demand?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV Video-on-Demand?

Old 11-06-07, 09:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
DirecTV Video-on-Demand?

Anyone using this?? I just got around to hooking my DirecTV HD DVR up via wireless connector last night. Everything seems to be connected fine (at least it says so).. yet I don't see anything new or different... evidently the V.O.D. channels should appear starting at channel 1000 ... do I just need to wait for my box to have its routine update, or does this demand a phone call to (((shudder))) my DirecTV rep?
Old 11-06-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Anyone using this?? I just got around to hooking my DirecTV HD DVR up via wireless connector last night. Everything seems to be connected fine (at least it says so).. yet I don't see anything new or different... evidently the V.O.D. channels should appear starting at channel 1000 ... do I just need to wait for my box to have its routine update, or does this demand a phone call to (((shudder))) my DirecTV rep?
Just wait, it will show up. I think it took over a week for it to get activated for me, once I was hooked up to my home network. I used it a couple of times, but the big channels aren't there yet (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, FX, HBO etc). I actually used it for music videos. Browsed MTV On Demand and queued up a few videos, since the actual MTV never shows music anymore.
Old 11-06-07, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't heard anything about this. Does this new feature work with the HR20 receivers? Do I need to purchase additional hardware to get this to work?
Old 11-06-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was there a message that popped up about it or something?
Old 11-06-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's still in beta status. One of my HR20s has it, the other doesn't. No idea why. Basically, try turning to channel 1000. If you get it, you get it. There are a lot of shows from channels like Discovery and TLC. The entire list of available shows is actually quite big, but not a whole lot that interested me (which may be because I have so much other stuff to watch on the DVR yet).
Old 11-06-07, 01:22 PM

I just got around to hooking my DirecTV HD DVR up via wireless connector last night.
I think it took over a week for it to get activated for me, once I was hooked up to my home network.
What's all this about? You can hook the HR20 up to your home network now? How do you do that? What all can you do with that?
Old 11-06-07, 04:23 PM

There is an entire subforum on dbstalk dedicated to DirecTV VOD.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137

In addition to VOD, hooking up to your home network can also allow you to stream music and photos from your home computer through the HR20. The computer needs to be viiv enabled or running software like TVersity or Twonky . I use TVersity because it's free. Here's the HR20 networking area of dbsforums.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay....prune=-1&f=115
Old 11-06-07, 05:21 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried it - it's fine - it's slow though. And I don't see anything that I really need it for.
I also got it to connect to my pc and it's not running VIIV>
Old 11-06-07, 05:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I tried it - it's fine - it's slow though. And I don't see anything that I really need it for.
I also got it to connect to my pc and it's not running VIIV>
How did you manage that??? I don't have Viiv, but would love to connect it to my pc...
Old 11-06-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you manage that??? I don't have Viiv, but would love to connect it to my pc...
First you obviously need it connected to your network.

Then just go, I think, Menu-->Settings-->Setup-->Network-->then go through the setup on screen. Mine is already setup, so the menu options after I get to "Network" are different than if you haven't set it up yet.

Pretty straightforward.
Old 11-06-07, 08:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
First you obviously need it connected to your network.

Then just go, I think, Menu-->Settings-->Setup-->Network-->then go through the setup on screen. Mine is already setup, so the menu options after I get to "Network" are different than if you haven't set it up yet.

Pretty straightforward.
Yes, read my 1st post, it is connected. My question was how did that other guy get his pc connected if it did not have a viiv intel processor...?
Old 11-06-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't need a Viiv. It works fine, if a bit slow, without it.
Old 11-07-07, 08:05 AM

Yes, read my 1st post, it is connected. My question was how did that other guy get his pc connected if it did not have a viiv intel processor...?
Install Twonky or TVersity on the PC. Afterwards you might have to reboot the HR20. Once everything is setup correctly, you'll see a Music & Photos listing on the Menu screen.
Old 11-07-07, 08:30 AM

windows media player works also, just have to show it to be available
Old 11-07-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, yeah, what pyro said - I'm using WMP and it's just fine.
Old 11-07-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hooked my HR20 to the internet yesterday and then restarted the box and now have VOD. At first it was just a bunch of Encore stuff that i couldnt watch since i dont have the Encore package but this morning there was a ton of stuff from a bunch of channels. pretty neat feature
Old 11-08-07, 05:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, my stuff finally showed... although onlu about 45% of the VOD channels actually have stuff so far... I'm glad I have it, but, not sure how much I'll actually use it.
Old 11-08-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

... I'm glad I have it, but, not sure how much I'll actually use it.
too true. i couldnt find anything i wanted to download to watch. it would be nice at the start of seasons when you miss and episode or two of a show. maybe once HBO gets a VOD channel it will be better (since i dont have Show/Starz/Encore)
Old 11-11-07, 02:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Sorry, yeah, what pyro said - I'm using WMP and it's just fine.
OK, so I allowed my WMP 11 to share my library, and it does recognize the HD DVR box from DirecTV (at least I think it does, it recognizes an 'unknown device")... problem is, no new access tab has appeared when I bring up the menu from the directv box... does it take awhile for the box to recognize, like it did with the VOD, or is there something wrong??
Old 11-11-07, 04:52 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, so I allowed my WMP 11 to share my library, and it does recognize the HD DVR box from DirecTV (at least I think it does, it recognizes an 'unknown device")... problem is, no new access tab has appeared when I bring up the menu from the directv box... does it take awhile for the box to recognize, like it did with the VOD, or is there something wrong??
nevermind, I got it to work... problem is, when I play an audio file, it sounds great, then starts to cut in and out... is it because its via a wireless ethernet connection and it simply cannot keep up? ugh, I hope not...?