TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ER - anyone still watching?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 09:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
ER - anyone still watching?

Never see any weekly eppy discussion threads started, so I am curious?

Looking at the ratings, does anyone feel this will be the last inglorious season?
Old 11-03-07, 10:05 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped watching after Dr. Green died. That was a sad episode.
Old 11-03-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I watched religiously for 13 years from day 1, I just can't muster up the energy to waste my time on it any longer. Last season started out so promising then by about halfway through the season they mucked it up and it went back to the same shit it's been for the past few seasons.

I still have the final 3 episodes from last season on the DVR unwatched. I also have all of this season's thus far, I just don't know if I'll ever get around to watching them.
Old 11-03-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I've never watched it. I almost started wathing when the "Bend it" chick from England joined but I decided against it.

I know one thing, every recent promo I've seen for this show makes it seem like the world is ending in the next episode.
Old 11-03-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still watch it, but really only because Maura Tierney is so unbearably hot. Were it not for that undignified motivation, I'd be comfortable in resisting it.

At this point, it's practically indistinguishable from 'Grey's Anatomy.'
Old 11-03-07, 11:07 AM

I'm a longtime viewer, off and on. I've seen all of current season eps. so far. But I flaked on the last half of last season. I guess the long lifespan of the show makes the fluctuations in quality less noticeable to me. It's kinda neat to watch the various characters "grow up" over time. I'm always kinda bummed when someone leaves, though it shouldn't surprise me.
Old 11-03-07, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I know one thing, every recent promo I've seen for this show makes it seem like the world is ending in the next episode.
Yeah they do lay it on thick in those promos. But the apocalyptic "thing" often ends up being only a minor part of the episode.

Originally Posted by wergo
I still watch it, but really only because Maura Tierney is so unbearably hot.
Oh yeah, that too. I still remember the Halloween episode some years back (she was dating Dr. Carter), when she wore the "naughty nurse" outfit.
Old 11-03-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I've watched it faithfully every year it's been on. It's not cutting edge, but it's still entertaining. I blame NBC for overhyping it. Every year NBC says something like, "No one does a season premiere/finale like 'ER'." Really silly.
I've gotten used to the cast constantly changing. Sometimes that's a good thing because there's always a few doctors I can't stand no matter what season it is. I'm really tired of one thing though: every year there's a doctor who's SO much of an asshole to the other doctors that it's unbelievable. The writers always take it too far with that character.
Old 11-03-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'm definitely in the Maura Tierney is drool-worthy group, I gave up on the show after Romano's arm left us. I continued watching through some of the garbage that went on after that the next season, but I ended up dropping the show some time in there before they finally did whatever they did to his character to klll him off.
Old 11-03-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How can you not watch? An hour of ER is the only thing more important to the history of civilization than an episode from the final two seasons of Friends.

das
Old 11-03-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I ended up dropping the show some time in there before they finally did whatever they did to his character[Romano] to klll him off.
You missed that? A true testament to how lazy the writing got:

Spoiler:
A helicopter chops his arm off. Two dozen episodes later, they drop a helicopter on him from the top of the hospital.
Old 11-03-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My mother watches it religiously every Thursday night. She will make sure there isn't a single distraction and will not speak and will only get angry if you speak to her when it's not a commercial.

I bought her Season 1 on DVD a few years ago and she never watched it. So one day I was sick and home so I watched em and got addicted for a while. I quit after season 4... I don't really know why... The price was a big factor though.
Old 11-03-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I stopped a few years ago when they kept having weeks of re-runs throughout the season. I think that and Dr. Green leaving was enough for me. Then they added a bunch of yahoo actors that I just couldn't stand.
Old 11-03-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gave up this season. I held out about 2 season too long, I'm afraid. I honestly got sick of the "if you watch just ONE episode of ER this year, it has to be THIS one" that they would put in the ads nearly every week. Gimme a break....
Old 11-03-07, 08:43 PM

I still watch. I started watching back in season 6 and can't really bring myself to stop watching it. The quality has definitely gone down, but like others, Maura Tierney is a good enough reason to keep watching. I do get a laugh out of the promos though. They are incredibly misleading.
Old 11-03-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got back into it because of Stanley Tucci (R.I.P. 3 Lbs) and it's okay. Definitely not as great as it was back in the day but good.

And, yes, the promos are ridiculous.
Old 11-03-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eh, I still watch... I honestly think its as good now as it ever has been really. Sure they are the same old re-hashed stories, but THEY HAVE UNCLE JESSIE FOR FUCKS SAKE!!! Anyways, Ill probably keep watching until it goes off the air. At least Archie has been pretty funny this season.
Old 11-03-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I still do but it's dropped far from it's glory days
Old 11-04-07, 01:35 AM

I stopped after they had Carter and the Croatian guy going to Africa and shit. It's ER not Doctors Without Borders. Besides, aside from the horrible writing these past seasons, they also got rid of practically all the likeable characters who were left (Lewis and Korday anyone?). It pissed me off when they had 2 guys for Korday only for her to leave in a couple of episodes later. They didn't even give Lewis a send off if I remember correctly. I think Weaver mentioned she left and that was it.
Old 11-04-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I still watch it, but can't really muster much to say about it, though I hate the "Abby crawling back into the bottle" storyline.
Old 11-04-07, 04:00 AM

If anyone can get a snapshot of Abby's all done up "for the yearbook" from two episodes ago, i will be forever greatful.

lol, it's moments like that, that keep me watching.
Old 11-04-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Patman
I still watch it, but can't really muster much to say about it, though I hate the "Abby crawling back into the bottle" storyline.
Wow. Is that what's going on this season? Sounds like I'm not missing much.
Old 11-04-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I haven't watched in years, after being my favorite show for the first few seasons. I checked out shortly after Clooney did.
Old 11-04-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. Is that what's going on this season? Sounds like I'm not missing much.
Kovach is supposedly stuck in Croatia, building up his dada place to be wheelchair-accessibility.

Morris and Pratt are unconventional study buddies for some med exam.

Morris is stuck being celebrate while Hope got sent off to some foreign country to do some missionary-type work.

Sam got a new haircut (looks nice), and her demon spawn's appearance has been minimized.

New ER chief Moretti hasn't quite been impressive, more of a riddle at times with a different way of doing things, like always testing everyone, from interns to residents to attending.

Neelah has an intern who's the amalgamation of Doogie Howser and Napolena Dynamite. Earlier she also survived some internal injuries that required surgery performed by Dubenko.

The less said about Tony, the better.
Old 11-05-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Oh, I can’t stand the “Abby crawling back into the bottle” storyline either. I think it would be a good storyline, but the execution of it is horribly written. I mean, Luka is gone for awhile and she needs to start on the booze again?

When Benton had Reese; he put him in the Hospital daycare. Why can’t Abby just put the baby in daycare at the Hospital?

I’ve watched ER since the beginning, buy the DVDs and even I’ll admit that this season thus far, fu*king sucks. For the first six seasons ER was great; one of the shows I would look forward to the most. The seventh season saw a decline, but it was still good Television and the eighth season contained one of the saddest (Dr. Greene’s death) episodes of the series.

Seasons 9-13 were hit and miss, but still reliable Television. This season is borderline Direct-To-Video quality. I couldn’t stand how Weaver’s character was horribly misused in the 13th season and I was glad they let her leave the show.

I think the main problem with ER’s current status is it doesn’t have a main character. Now I know that ER isn’t a “main character” type show; but Clooney, Edwards and Wyle were sort of the guys who kept the show together. I guess Maura (who’s hot as hell) is the lead but I just don’t think she’s Clooney lead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.