DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL 11/03/07 - H: Brian Williams / MG: Feist (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516154-snl-11-03-07-h-brian-williams-mg-feist.html)

Goldberg74 11-02-07 11:39 PM

SNL 11/03/07 - H: Brian Williams / MG: Feist

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7044/bwillsnlob9.png

I have to admit that I do think that BW did a good job back when he thought he was going to be the next anchor of the WU... but how can he deal with an entire episode? Not sure.

I think that Darrell Hammond will have a busy night though. ;)

NOTE: Next week we're getting Dwayne "Dropped the Rock" Johnson and then after that Jonah "Seth Rogen Jr" Hill.

<hr>
Season 33 (2007-2008)

09/29/07 - H: LeBron James / MG: Kanye West
10/06/07 - H: Seth Rogen / MG: Spoon
10/14/07 - H: Jon Bon Jovi / MG: Foo Fighters
11/03/07 - H: Brian Williams / MG: Feist
11/10/07 - H: Dwayne Johnson / MG: Amy Winehouse
11/17/07 - H: Jonah Hill / MG: Kid Rock

Jimmy James 11-02-07 11:55 PM

I seriously doubt that we're going to get any new episodes after this one until the writers come back.

Gizmo 11-02-07 11:55 PM

Jonah Hill in 2 weeks? Nice!

MrX 11-03-07 11:37 AM

Williams has been pretty funny when he's been on the Daily Show.

If there's a show next week it'll be worth tuning in just to see how big a train wreck Amy Winehouse's performance will be.

Goldberg74 11-03-07 10:04 PM

CNN article about tonight's SNL:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/1....ap/index.html

But he is no stranger to this comedy institution. He made an unannounced (and amusing) appearance on its 2006 season premiere, pretending to vie for the "Weekend Update" anchor chair vacated by Tina Fey.

For Williams, an "SNL" fan since its start three decades ago, doing the cameo was fun. Then, a few weeks ago, executive producer Lorne Michaels invited him to come back as host.

He said he gave it careful thought before agreeing.

"My family was anxious for me to do it. My bosses were anxious for me to do it," he said. "But in the end, it's ME doing it, and I worried that anyone might be confused between this and my day job. But I just don't think there's a chance of that."

According to Seth Meyers, "SNL" head writer and "Weekend Update" co-anchor, Williams has made just one demand: "That, when this is over, he can return to his day job with his reputation intact."

Writing for him as "SNL" host is a refreshing opportunity, Meyers said.

"Actors do silly things all the time, and we ask them to do a lot of silly things in an hour-and-a-half, whereas someone like Brian is less known for his silliness. But he's pretty good with his accents. And he used to be a (volunteer) fireman: I'd bet money you'll see him on the show as a fireman."

It's also a good bet he'll be found at the "Weekend Update" desk for that parody newscast, Meyers added.

Williams said he's been gathering ideas for his opening monologue.

"That's my earliest chance to show some chops, to come on out and say, 'I know this is an unusual thing you're seeing.' "

Of course, world events -- and Williams' "day job" -- could unexpectedly intrude with real news.

"I reminded Lorne that it was a Saturday night that Princess Diana died," Williams said. As it happened, that week's "SNL" was a taped repeat, he recalled, "but I ended up doing a special report interrupting it.

"Lorne said, 'We'll deal with that.' "

But barring the unforeseen, Williams expects to mainly deal with butterflies.

"There are cue cards, a live audience, it's a nerve-racking atmosphere," he said. "So, sure, I'll be petrified. But I hope it's a fun, high-wire-act kind of an evening."

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 11-03-07 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Jonah Hill in 2 weeks? Nice!

I'm definitely not looking forward to that one.

GuessWho 11-03-07 10:41 PM

so far...

Horatio Sans
Barrack Obama
Bronx Beat

HE Pennypacker 11-03-07 11:08 PM

Wow, that Publishers Clearing House skit was really enjoyable. The woman was amazing in that role. I didn't even know she was on this show. I first saw her in Knocked Up.

Drexl 11-03-07 11:50 PM

The Obama appearance would have been better if they asked him what he was doing there and he said something like "they don't have any skinny black guys to play me."

Charlie Goose 11-04-07 12:16 AM

I fell asleep on it, but what I saw was pretty good. Brian Williams was about a million times better than I thought he was going to be.

Clinton Halloween party
Funny, but who was Bill Clinton dressed as? Mystery from what? Horatio Sanz lost weight AND he made it through a bit without the phony crackup! I'm not sure the entire audience recognized him, because he didn't get a huge ovation. Or maybe they still remember how much he sucked.

Monologue
As far as self-deprecating monologues go, this was good as Williams shifted into anchor mode.

Bronx Beat
Sweaterweather. I think these characters are great, and BW was okay as their fireman guest although he really didn't have much to do.

H.S. show
BW was fanatastic as the TV principal pissed off that he wasn't following the kids to college. "You can go to hell, you need to lose 10 pounds, and you're gay."

Publisher's Clearing House
Kinda fuzzy because this is where I started dozing.

GuessWho 11-04-07 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Clinton Halloween party
Funny, but who was Bill Clinton dressed as? Mystery from what?

http://blog.vh1.com/files/gallery/th...ry_292x438.jpg
star of VH1 reality show The Pick Up Artist... he taught nerds how to pick up girls

jonnyquest 11-04-07 11:05 AM

I missed Obama because of toggling between SNL and MadTV during the 11:30-12:00 overlap. Luckily I caught it on one of the Sunday AM news/talks. The Publishers Clearing House bit had me laughing throughout; it was easily the funniest sketch. 2nd place goes to the TV exec on Weekend Update.

movieking 11-04-07 11:26 AM

From what I saw, Brian Williams was a great host. I kinda ff'ed it, since my PVR only taped 1 hour of it. Is the last 30 minutes worth watching?

Ronnie Dobbs 11-04-07 11:59 AM

Leslie Feist is a beautiful woman

masuerte 11-04-07 12:14 PM

^^ her live shows are always great. It's rare to see a live "pop" preformer that is better than her already awesome album.

movieking 11-04-07 12:16 PM

Feist is scheduled to play here very soon. First she was booked at a high school gymnasium, but given her rapid success she's been moved to the stadium.

mike7162 11-04-07 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
http://blog.vh1.com/files/gallery/th...ry_292x438.jpg
star of VH1 reality show The Pick Up Artist... he taught nerds how to pick up girls

This guy is teaching someone how to pick up girls?

mdc3000 11-04-07 01:13 PM

Brian Williams, surprisingly was probably the best host so far this season...thought he did a solid job, even if most skits went on far too long.

MechanicalMan 11-04-07 01:22 PM

He was easily the best host of the season, but I don't think it's surprising.

the action 11-04-07 05:02 PM

It started stong, but got boring towards the middle. BW reminded me of Edward Burns in the sketch where he played a firefighter

Goldberg74 11-04-07 09:24 PM

Here's the Cold Opening (Hillary's Halloween Party):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8NTl0tQNZw

I loved this episode... more specifically the sketches that BW was in. If he wasn't in it, it sort of fell flat.

Best ep this season.

shaun3000 11-05-07 01:52 AM

Conan has him on rather frequently and he's always a riot.

TheKing 11-05-07 02:30 AM

Is this the first time a musical guest has gotten a spot thanks in large part to a commercial? This isn't a criticism of her, but that ad really put her on the map. Can the Old Navy Sweater song chick get a spot later on?

This was a very good episode, best of the season, not that that says much. The digital short was funny, if predictable.

Drexl 11-05-07 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing
Is this the first time a musical guest has gotten a spot thanks in large part to a commercial? This isn't a criticism of her, but that ad really put her on the map. Can the Old Navy Sweater song chick get a spot later on?

Well, the video was playing on MTV/VH1 for weeks before the commercial.

Chew 11-05-07 07:13 AM

It's pretty refreshing to have a host not look at the cue cards much, if at all. I think he did a great job.