DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Top 25 worst TV shows ever (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/516132-top-25-worst-tv-shows-ever.html)

Ayre 11-02-07 04:52 PM

Top 25 worst TV shows ever

From ChicagoTribune.com:

www.chicagotribune.com

"You're in the Picture" (1961). Jackie Gleason appeared in a prime time quiz show, but it was so bad the quiz format was dropped after one airing and it became instead a short-lived talk show. Even Gleason knew it was bad: "I've seen bombs in my day, but this one made the H-bomb look like a 2-inch salute."

"Petticoat Junction" (1963-'70). Some shows from that era hold up remarkably well -- either as sweet nostalgia or entertaining camp. Not this one, set in Hooterville.

"My Mother the Car" (1965-66). In it, Jerry Van Dyke's mother was reincarnated as a talking automobile, the voice supplied by Ann Sothern. Actually made it through one season.

"Turn-On" (1969). Illegitimate son of "Laugh-In." Lasted one episode.

"Ernest Angley Hour" (1973-present). Broadcast from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, Angley's Southern rural lisp deliveries are syndicated worldwide. While he doesn't claim to be a faith healer, his trademark palm-of-the-hand to the forehead is accompanied by his high-pitched shout "Be heeeeaaaalllled!" as the healee drops to the floor, to be caught by an assistant.

"B.J. and the Bear" (1979-81). Comedy/adventure about an itinerant trucker who traveled the nation's highways with his pet chimpanzee.

"When Things Were Rotten" (1975). Created by Mel Brooks. Hoo boy. Lasted a half season. Brooks used the same Robin Hood theme in the 1993 movie "Men in Tights."

"Mr. T. and Tina" (1976). Starring Pat Morita (who also played Arnold on "Happy Days"). Canceled after five episodes.

"The Ropers" (1979-80). An entire show built around the landlords from the nearly as awful "Three's Company."

"Joanie Loves Chachi" (1982-83). Scott Baio's addition to "Happy Days" was a classic jump-the-shark moment; here the shark goes belly up and begins to smell.

"Mama's Family" (1983-90). The Vickie Lawrence skit was the weak link on "The Carol Burnett Show." So, naturally, it got a weekly half-hour.

"Manimal" (1983). NYU prof could change into any animal to help fight crimes. Show turned into a turkey.

"Mr. Belvedere" (1985-90). Starred Bob Uecker -- need we say more?

"Small Wonder" (1985-89): Robot scientist builds robot in the shape of a 10-year-old girl, then tries to hide her amid his family. Theme-song quote: "She's fantastic/Made of plastic."

"Life With Lucy" (1986). Lucille Ball's final, disastrous short-lived series. It lasted only a few months but still tarnished the TV icon's legacy.

"Beauty and the Beast" (1987-90). The pretty gal and ugly critter didn't just love each other; they solved crimes!

"Cop Rock" (1990). Steven Bochco, apparently bored with making legitimate cop series ("Hill Street Blues"), decided it would be fun to have cops sing, and it would be even more fun to have them performing legit, hard-core cop work while they did it.

"Pink Lady and Jeff" (1980): Quite possibly the most demented variety show of all time, this bizarre offering paired two Japanese pop singers who spoke almost no English with comedian Jeff Altman. Hilarity did not ensue.

"The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage" (1991). A 17th Century pirate trans-whatevered to modern times has to save a life for every one he's taken. Which, come to think of it, is the same plot as "My Name Is Earl."

"The Jerry Springer Show" (1991 to present). His aim is low.

"Barney & Friends" (1992-present). Yes, some little kids love it. But parents helped compile this list, and it annoys the heck out of us.

"Homeboys from Outer Space" (1996-97). The name was a tip-off.

"The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" (1998). A black British gentleman run out of England for cheating takes a job as a butler to Abraham Lincoln. And it was a comedy. And it made fun of slavery.

XFL (2001). NBC and Pro wrestling decide football isn't entertaining enough the way it is. They are wrong.

"Cavemen" (2007): We'll take this insurance commercial, see, only we'll make it 30 times as long! No, not the one with the lizard.
Video links and voting are at the site.

fujishig 11-02-07 04:55 PM

Supercomputer!

calhoun07 11-02-07 05:01 PM

"The Ropers" (1979-80). An entire show built around the landlords from the nearly as awful "Three's Company."
I freaking LOVED the Ropers. I haven't picked up any season sets of Three's Company yet (I might if they ever released a complete series set for a great price) but I'd buy Ropers on the street date it came out. It wasn't a great comedy, but freaking Jeffrey Tambor is worth the price of admission alone.

"Mama's Family" (1983-90). The Vickie Lawrence skit was the weak link on "The Carol Burnett Show." So, naturally, it got a weekly half-hour.
And I loved that show as well!

Cardiff Giant11 11-02-07 05:21 PM

I saw this thread title and Small Wonder immediately came to mind. Glad to see it made the list.

Robertwoj 11-02-07 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Quote:

I freaking LOVED the Ropers. I haven't picked up any season sets of Three's Company yet (I might if they ever released a complete series set for a great price) but I'd buy Ropers on the street date it came out. It wasn't a great comedy, but freaking Jeffrey Tambor is worth the price of admission alone.

Quote:

And I loved that show as well!

What calhoun said!

Silt 11-02-07 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ayre
From ChicagoTribune.com:

"Joanie Loves Chachi" (1982-83). Scott Baio's addition to "Happy Days" was a classic jump-the-shark moment; here the shark goes belly up and begins to smell.

And all this time I thought Happy Day's jump-the-shark moment was when Fonzie...um...jumped the shark.

calhoun07 11-02-07 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Supercomputer!

What about Super Train!

das Monkey 11-02-07 06:11 PM

As far as stupid lists go, this is the most stupidestest.

das

MechanicalMan 11-02-07 06:31 PM

I've just added this to my 25 Worst Lists list.

NC-36 11-02-07 06:53 PM

das beat me to it. That list blows.

Petticoat Junction ran for 7 years. Any show with that kind of following has no business being listed with slop like Cop Rock.

And what about all the failures that only aired 1 or 2 episodes ? I agree Mama's Family is crappy, but plenty of people liked it for it to have a 7 year run while shit like Pink Lady & Jeff earned its spot in TV infamy by sucking right out of the gate.

This list is made up of shows people might actually remember. The REALLY bad shows (I'm looking at you AfterM*A*S*H) require more work to list than the lazy Tribune staff are willing to invest.

kvrdave 11-02-07 07:04 PM

I would say that if it ran over 2 years, it can't make the list.

MechanicalMan 11-02-07 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I would say that if it ran over 2 years, it can't make the list.

Yeah, because bad TV shows never stay on the air that long. :hscratch:

Timber 11-02-07 07:50 PM

The 80's show wasn't bad enough to make this list?

movieking 11-02-07 08:21 PM

I'm glad that Viva Laughlin didn't make it to the list. I think that it got a raw deal after all of the bad buzz perpetuated mostly by those people who didn't see the show.

Jimmy James 11-02-07 08:28 PM

No Baby Bob?

I think Mama's Family (though it's a guilty pleasure of mine as well) is deserving of its place, as would Baywatch if listed. Shows that start on network and slum it in syndication hell can live on for ages. That doesn't mean they're any good.

I think Petticoat Junction is a bizarre inclusion. I can only conclude that Uncle Joe killed the list author's mother.

calhoun07 11-02-07 09:30 PM

And let's not forget "Ernest Angley Hour"....does that even deserve to be on there? It's just basically religious programming...just another televangelist show. It's not even a real TV show, for crying out loud.

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Ern...+Hour&x=18&y=3

well, whaddya know...even IMDB doesn't recognize it as a real show.

SexualPudding 11-02-07 10:23 PM

Hmmm, no mention of Pauly, starring Pauly Shore?

Brack 11-02-07 10:38 PM

"Mr. Belvedere" and "Beauty and the Beast" shouldn't be on that list. I haven't even seen most of the listed shows.

Mopower 11-02-07 11:10 PM

"The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer" (1998). A black British gentleman run out of England for cheating takes a job as a butler to Abraham Lincoln. And it was a comedy. And it made fun of slavery.

I can't believe that was a real show. I thought it was just something Kevin Smith made up for the Clerks Cartoon series.

das Monkey 11-02-07 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think Mama's Family (though it's a guilty pleasure of mine as well) is deserving of its place, as would Baywatch if listed.

How can you have <i>Mama's Family</i> on a list without <i>Rango</i> or <i>Turn-on</i>? How can you have <i>Baywatch</i> without <i>Pacific Blue</i> or even <i>Baywatch Nights</i>? What about <i>The New Monkees</i> or <i>Black Scorpion</i> or <i>Team Knight Rider</i> or <i>The Chevy Chase Show</i> or <i>The Magic Hour</i> or <i>Out of This World</i> or <i>Gloria</i> ... and those are just mainstream titles. Lists like this are simply lazy.

das

DeputyDave 11-02-07 11:40 PM

I still kick myself that I missed seeing Cop Rock. The list doesn't seem very educated, there were literaly hundreds of shows that only aired once or twice before being canceled that were worse that most of the shows named.

I would love to see a DVD set filled only with pilots of the worst concieved shows (and Cop Rock of course!).

NC-36 11-03-07 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Yeah, because bad TV shows never stay on the air that long. :hscratch:

The article's title is "Top 25 worst TV shows ever", not "Top 25 worst TV shows that sucked but were good enough to find an audience and stay on the air for at least a little while".

das made a much better list without even trying very hard :thumbsup:

Baywatch Nights /shudders

Ronnie Dobbs 11-03-07 02:32 AM

I liked Mr. Belvedere I did not care for Homeboys In Space though.

DJariya 11-03-07 03:00 AM

Baywatch Nights definitely deserves to be on that list. Trying to turn Mitch Buchannon from a life guard to an amateur detective and then to a ghost hunter was fucking the most absurd television I have ever watched.

Original Desmond 11-03-07 03:12 AM

small wonder rocked !

UAIOE 11-03-07 03:15 AM

Are you trying to say that "Baywatch" WASN'T absurd TV?

And this list gives me an excuse to whip out a Mallrats quote:

Brodie: Why don't they ever bring back or remake good shows, like 'BJ and the Bear.' Now there's a concept I can't get enough of, a man and his monkey.

Legolas 11-03-07 04:34 AM

You have Homeboys in Outerspace but none of the other pathetic short-lived sitcoms on the hack networks? Muscle? The Muillets? Kirk?

bigjim25 11-03-07 09:37 AM

I'd buy all these if they came to DVD, already have one set of Petticoat Junction & one of Mama's Family:
"Petticoat Junction" (1963-'70). Some shows from that era hold up remarkably well -- either as sweet nostalgia or entertaining camp. Not this one, set in Hooterville.

"B.J. and the Bear" (1979-81). Comedy/adventure about an itinerant trucker who traveled the nation's highways with his pet chimpanzee.

milo bloom 11-03-07 09:55 AM

Loved Mr Belvedere and Mama's Family.

nateman 11-03-07 11:38 AM

Mama’s Family is far from one of the worst shows in Television history. Sure, it had some continuity errors and it wasn’t the most laugh out loud sitcom in the history of Television; but it had its moments. Hopefully, the WB releases the remaining 6 seasons on DVD.

I really wish these people who make these “Worst TV shows” list, would stop adding My Mother the Car to it. Is it a great show? No, no its not; but (and I know I’m going to get laughed at forever for this one) I would watch My Mother the Car over Gilligan’s Island any day.

I mean wouldn’t you want your dead mother to come back as a Car?

I think the show is more famous for Jerry Van Dyke turning down the role on Gillian’s Island than anything else. Personally I think Jerry is an underrated comedian and his role as Luther Van Dam on Coach was fricken’ excellent.

What???

UAIOE 11-03-07 02:34 PM

Why isn't "Family Matters" on that list?

It went from Cosby show clone to total Urkle-fest.

MechanicalMan 11-03-07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by NC-36
The article's title is "Top 25 worst TV shows ever", not "Top 25 worst TV shows that sucked but were good enough to find an audience and stay on the air for at least a little while".

Yes, that was my point.

chris_sc77 11-03-07 07:33 PM

i am dying to see bj and the bear. it sounds fascinating.

j123vt_99 11-03-07 08:01 PM

With those witty comments, it sounds like whoever compiled this list is a failed writer who couldn't get a network to pick up his idea for a pilot.

dvdhook 11-03-07 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
i am dying to see bj and the bear. it sounds fascinating.

Here's the opening credits:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AsqKQptTdQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AsqKQptTdQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

They don't make theme songs like that anymore.

conscience 11-03-07 09:10 PM

Mama's Family on the list? Blasphemy.

Doc Moonlight 11-03-07 09:51 PM

I'm another supporter of "My Mother the Car". I agree with Nateman that it wasn't a "great" show, but it was actually pretty funny.

MasterofDVD 11-03-07 11:20 PM

What a shitty list.

I would buy up each season of Mr. Belvedere in a moment. There are a few other shows there that I enjoyed a fair amount.

calhoun07 11-04-07 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by dvdhook
Here's the opening credits:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AsqKQptTdQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5AsqKQptTdQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

They don't make theme songs like that anymore.

Man, I really wish they'd put that out on DVD. And Sheriff Lobo. I know they aren't exactly stellar examples of Masterpiece Theater quality TV, but dang...they were FUN.

And how can you put down a TV show which the core concept is a man and his monkey?

Charlie Goose 11-04-07 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Silt
And all this time I thought Happy Day's jump-the-shark moment was when Fonzie...um...jumped the shark.

That's what told me that the writer of this piece is quite clueless.

"When Things Were Rotten" (1975). Created by Mel Brooks. Hoo boy. Lasted a half season. Brooks used the same Robin Hood theme in the 1993 movie "Men in Tights."
Yes, and it was funny both times. I loved WTWR.

I enjoyed the show, but "nearly as awful Three's Company"? That is a classic sitcom.

Actually, it was one of the funniest and best-remembered skits from a great show. That's why it made into a show.

Yes, you do. You can't publish a Worst list without giving specific reasons for an addition. "Need we say more" doesn't cut it, pal. WHY was this entertaining and funny sitcom so much worse than others?

"Life With Lucy" (1986). Lucille Ball's final, disastrous short-lived series. It lasted only a few months but still tarnished the TV icon's legacy.
Uh, no it didn't. To this day, Lucy is considered the greatest television comedienne ever. One unsuccessful show means nothing to a legacy like that.

"Cop Rock" (1990). Steven Bochco, apparently bored with making legitimate cop series ("Hill Street Blues"), decided it would be fun to have cops sing, and it would be even more fun to have them performing legit, hard-core cop work while they did it.
You know what would be a STUPID idea for a musical? Feuding street gangs in Manhattan A few of them could even get killed. Or how about a prostitute in Paris? Or draft-dodging, pot-smoking hippies? Or a woman who killed her husband teaming up with another murderess? It's not the idea for a musical that's bad, it's the execution.

"Homeboys from Outer Space" (1996-97). The name was a tip-off.
Again, not enough info! It can't be a quality or even a halfway decent show because it has Homeboys in the title? That may be borderline racist.

"Cavemen" (2007): We'll take this insurance commercial, see, only we'll make it 30 times as long! No, not the one with the lizard.
Bandwagon jumper. The show isn't my cup of tea, but certainly not the death of creativity that everyone screamed about for months before anyone even saw it.