NBC Benches 'Singing Bee,' 'Hereos: Origins'; ABC Extends 'Murder Club'

Old 11-01-07, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC Benches 'Singing Bee,' 'Hereos: Origins'; ABC Extends 'Murder Club'

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=7485

[10.31.07 - 06:16 PM]
NBC BENCHES 'SINGING BEE,' 'HEROES: ORIGINS'; ABC EXTENDS 'MURDER CLUB'
By The Futon Critic Staff (TFC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOS ANGELES (thefutoncritic.com) -- NBC has pulled "The Singing Bee" from its November sweeps schedule, opting for expanded two-hour editions of "The Biggest Loser" in its place on Tuesday nights.

"Bee" posted a 1.7 adults 18-49 rating according to preliminary Nielsen data last night, marking a first-run series low. The newcomer opened to a stellar 5.0 rating in the key demographic on July 10.

The executive producers of "Bee" are Phil Gurin and Robert C. Horowitz.

Meanwhile, the Peacock has also given the hook to "Heroes: Origins," a previously announced six-episode spin-off of Tim Kring's popular drama featuring one-off tales about new characters in the show's universe. It's understood the project has been shelved indefinitely due to financial concerns as the network readies for the expected WGA strike. Kevin Smith, Eli Roth, Michael Dougherty and John August were among the names set to be involved with "Origins," which was still in the early stages of pre-production.

And finally over at ABC, "Women's Murder Club" has been given the go ahead to pen three additional scripts. The news leaves "Big Shots" and "Cavemen" as the only ABC newcomers without some sort of extension.

James Patterson, R. Scott Gimmell, Elizabeth Craft, Sarah Fain, Brett Ratner and Joe Simpson are the executive producers of "Club," a 20th Century Fox Television production.

Since this is dealing with 3 seperate stories, I felt it needed it's own thread.

It really looks like Heroes is in big trouble. Since it has had its 2 lowest viewership ratings these last 2 weeks, NBC must be worried that Origins was going to completely bomb.

So, we are right back to where we started last year. There will be a big gap between these showings and when Heroes comes back next February (??). And that's what caused the big drop in viewership last time.

NBC needs to get smart and just start Heroes at the same time as 24 to keep the continuity.

Chris
Old 11-01-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That upsets me. I was really really looking forward to Origins.
Old 11-01-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main reason I started watching Heroes was that I heard Kevin Smith was going to do one of the Origin episodes. I still enjoyed the show but I am really upset that Smith won't be involved with the series in some way.
Old 11-01-07, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's frustrating that IMHO the reason Heroes' ratings are tanking is the lackluster writing/directing of the second season while one of the selling points of the Origins series was that they were bringing in big name hired guns to write/direct.
Old 11-01-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Heroes last season, but I gave up pretty early this year. I took 3 million of my friends with me.T he stories just didn't interest me, and I would say that is a major reason why Origins was benched.
Old 11-01-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not surprised about Origins. Heroes is getting crushed under it's own weight. Just when you got to know a very large cast...they add Elle, the Wonder Twins, Monica, Bob, Irish Mafia, Kensei and West. Then, they completely ignore characters like Jess/Nikki, who has about 2 minutes of total screentime this year (after OPENING the series!!)

Too much is going on. They need to tighten it up.
Old 11-01-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
That upsets me. I was really really looking forward to Origins.
Me too...

Sad thing is, I still love Heroes. The pacing is no different than it was last year IMO. Slow build to something big. The last episode was a big step in putting some major stuff in motion.

[RANT]I've just flat out given up on reading the threads here because everyone seems to just go in there looking for a bitching pad instead of genuinely discussing the episodes.[/RANT]
Old 11-01-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another bone head move.

The writing is so bad on Heroes this season - that if the show were to be canceled tomorrow, Would any questions remain unanswered?

So what do they do, scrap shows that would have potentially good writing and a quick story arch
Old 11-01-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not surprised about Origins. Heroes is getting crushed under it's own weight. Just when you got to know a very large cast...they add Elle, the Wonder Twins, Monica, Bob, Irish Mafia, Kensei and West. Then, they completely ignore characters like Jess/Nikki, who has about 2 minutes of total screentime this year (after OPENING the series!!)

Too much is going on. They need to tighten it up.
I agree. If they are going to bring in new characters they should drop some of the old ones to keep it tight. Nikki & Micah could have easily been written out. Sylar? Great the first season, but only seems to be around now because of popularity, not because it serves the story. He could have gone while they brought in a new baddie to keep it fresh. Claire & HRG are also kinda pointless thus far. She was a staple of the first season, but like Sylar only made it to season two because of popularity not because she is needed.

I'm still enjoying it, but there seems to be a lot of dead weight throughout the episodes. It seems they went the anti-24 route. Instead of going balls-to-the-wall out trying to top last season they scaled everything back tonally which hasn't worked. These people shouldn't have just gone back to their old lives after what happened, they should be out there helping people not in hiding.

I'm disappointed about Origins. I was looking forward to that.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-01-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With season 2 of Heroes sucking so much, I guess that's good news about the spin-off (just some really bad storylines this year, especially Hiro's journey).
Old 11-01-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It makes sense. This season it is tanking, and I am still a fan mind you & still watch every week, in the rating department. With this strike looming it doesn't really make sense to invest in a failing property. But I'm sad as I was looking forward to it.
Old 11-01-07, 12:07 PM

The producers of Heroes must have realized they aren't capable of doing a one-episode story. They need to slowly...drag...things...out...over...the...entire...season.
Old 11-01-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heroes is pretty terrible right now, but I don't cut it because I'm not following too many shows so it's easy to fit in the schedule. I'm holding out hope that the show will bounce back. I do think it is a little silly to ixnay origins which had the potential to be very good. It was established in the first season that everyone with powers isn't involved with the big over all story, so I wouldn't have minded seeing some nuggets of stories seeing how others have dealt with acquiring powers. Oh well.

And yeah, Heroes should be on the same schedule as 24 and Lost.
Old 11-01-07, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
It's frustrating that IMHO the reason Heroes' ratings are tanking is the lackluster writing/directing of the second season while one of the selling points of the Origins series was that they were bringing in big name hired guns to write/direct.
Maybe they should have that talent try and right the ship on the main show.
Old 11-01-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
The producers of Heroes must have realized they aren't capable of doing a one-episode story. They need to slowly...drag...things...out...over...the...entire...season.
Which is ironic considering how much smack Tim Kring and Co. talked about Lost last year. And at least Lost has slowly moved the story forward in its 3 seasons(and way way forward in last year's finale) instead of just repeating itself.
Old 11-01-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually posted the Heroes:Origins news in the Heroes thread yesterday afternoon, but I guess noone read it there.

I'm not surprised that Origins got shelved. With Heroes mediocre ratings and fanbase dropping like flies, it's probably a no brainer that NBC doesn't want to pay for 6 episodes of this. The story also indicated that no scripts had even been written yet.

Good news for Women's Murder Club. I like the show, but don't love it yet.
Old 11-01-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not surprised that Origins got shelved. With Heroes mediocre ratings and fanbase dropping like flies, it's probably a no brainer that NBC doesn't want to pay for 6 episodes of this. The story also indicated that no scripts had even been written yet.
The lack of scripts and impending writers strike probably has more to do with it than ratings.
Old 11-01-07, 04:27 PM

"Sweeps" used to be something special, now it's two-hour long episodes of The Biggest Loser.
Old 11-01-07, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Then, they completely ignore characters like Jess/Nikki, who has about 2 minutes of total screentime this year
i wouldnt call that a loss
Old 11-01-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

No biggie. Heroes is really bad. I now watch just in case it gets good, I don't have to catch up on bad episodes at once. That would kill me. It's like they ended the show and decided to let us see what happens next....with no plot.

I thought they had talked about an all new cast, new story, etc. That would have been much better.
Old 11-01-07, 04:54 PM

Kinda funny no one is upset about the Singing Bee.
Old 11-01-07, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Kinda funny no one is upset about the Singing Bee.
I was going to make a comment about that before lunch, but you beat me to it!

Chris
Old 11-01-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The lack of scripts and impending writers strike probably has more to do with it than ratings.

Agreed. This is just another effect of the strike really. With it being unknown what will happen in the next day or so, there's no reason to put down money and go ahead with the Heroes spin off if you wont have the writers there to even get it off the ground.

I'm a little surprised by the Singing Bee. With the strike coming up, that show is pretty much what will be filling the prime time slots in the coming weeks when the networks have burned through their original shows.
Old 11-01-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll see plenty of The Singing Bee if this strike persists.
Old 11-01-07, 06:45 PM

Can't blame them for benching Orgins when they can't even get Heroes Season 2 right. That show is garbage right now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.