Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kid Nation--"The Root Of All Evil"--10/31/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing I really hate about this show is that they promoted it as some great social experiment, when in reality, it's nothing more than Survivor or Big Brother with kids. All the manipulation to create drama just really bothers me when it's kids that are going through it. Gee, what a coincidence that they decide to have another election immediately following the Pioneer Journal's sage advice to rip the districts apart.

Greg and Olivia are totally right about Anjay being a shitty leader (he even admitted it himself when he decided he wanted Emilie), but Greg is just making me feel sorry for Anjay.

Dang, Greg has got some kind of fatal attraction to Blaine!

Zach and Sophia are still pompous blowhards with gifts for grandstanding.

I want Mike and Taylor back, dammit.

Mike, Taylor, Laurel, and... Alex or Mallory
Old 11-15-07, 10:39 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think if you look closely there is a social experiment going on. The producers have to provide some structure, otherwise it's just a documentary. Also, they have to speed up the time in which some of these things would happen and force them to happen because they have to occur within 40 days.

Blaine really shined when he came out of Greg's shadow.
Too much Mike last night.
Where was Divad? Did she vote for herself again last night?

As for the next council vote, I think Zach and Guylan will be gone for sure. At first I thought all 4 incumbents would lose handily, but on second thought I can see Laurel and Anjay winning. Anjay depends on whether there is an anti-Greg vote or not. Laurel will probably be the victim of people wanting change for changes sake or just giving another decent person a chance.
Old 11-15-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
IAnjay depends on whether there is an anti-Greg vote or not. Laurel will probably be the victim of people wanting change for changes sake or just giving another decent person a chance.

Anjay's lost three votes already:

Olivia hates him.
Mallory will side with Olivia.
Greg hates him.

The only votes he'll get are maybe Emilie's and his own.
Old 11-15-07, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KID NATION (4.7/08, 7.53m) was first in children 6-11 (2.2/07), children 2-11 (1.6/06) while averaging a 2.7/07 in adults 25-54 2.4/07 in adults 18-49. Compared to last week, KID NATION was up +7% in households (from 4.4/07), +17% in adults 25-54 (from 2.3/06), +14% in adults 18-49 (from 2.1/06), even in children 6-11and added +510,000 viewers (from 7.02m, +7%).
So far this season, we've seen these viewership #'s

9.38 7.62 7.43 6.90 7.35 7.86 6.70 7.01 7.53

Hopefully it can average around 7.5M and maybe CBS will bring it back for another season.

Chris
Old 11-15-07, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
I felt bad for Sanjay [sic]- the way Olivia was ruthlessly mocking him and Greg was threatening to punch him in the face.
Ditto. While I don't think Anjay is a great leader, it's very difficult when you're dealing with someone like a bipolar lunatic like Greg. I just can't get a read on that guy. One minute he's threatening physical harm, the next he's tucking in a crying Randi to bed. If you look on the CBS website, his favorite colors are black, red, and white (Nazi flag, anyone?) and his favorite movie star is Denzel Washington.

Olivia, however, has now rocketed to the top of the my list of least favorite persons on the show. Taylor may have been a primadonna, but what you saw was what you got - spoiled, little pageant queen. Oliva is far more sinister. The way she wrangled $20 grand for her little sister (sarcastic "aaawww") by being sweet to the council and aiding the bully with her mocking shows shows what a subtle manipulator she really is. If they made a sequel to Mean Girls, she would be perfect for the Rachel McAdams role.
Old 11-16-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised that in episode #9, they can still showcase kids we haven't heard from yet.

I never noticed Hunter before last night...

If Anjay had traded Greg to Yellow instead of Blaine, he would still hate Anjay, and he probably wouldn't have wanted to help Yellow like Blaine did. Blaine's ok with being traded, can't he help Greg calm down?

By giving away two district members and accepting only one, Blue now has 9. By accepting one member and giving away none, Yellow has 9 with Randi leaving. If Blaine hadn't joined Yellow, Yellow would be getting the short end, only 8 kids, so that worked out well.

I think Laurel should have been made to trade at least one member of her district. I agree that Green works well together, but it would have helped the "town" a lot.

I like Zach better than Taylor as a council leader for Yellow, but I think Blaine has a good chance to beat him. Laurel went unopposed before, and I don't think Michael is the best choice to run against her. I think it would have made more sense to have Sophia run against Laurel.

DK could be good as a leader, but we haven't heard much from him since he won the gold star, has he been a team player since winning?

Anjay has a good chance of keeping his post because Greg has that dual personality thing going, and I don't think he'd be good on the council, although it would be interesting to see both Blaine and Greg make it.

Blue could have carried more rocks in the showdown, but they were what, 125 pounds short? I think they still would have missed the overall goal by maybe, 50 pounds.

If you've seen the trailer for the show, there is one reward revealed that hasn't been shown yet after any showdown.

The "journal" steers what happens next. I hope the kids don't think it's a real journal.
Old 11-16-07, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JP5683
If Anjay had traded Greg to Yellow instead of Blaine, he would still hate Anjay, and he probably wouldn't have wanted to help Yellow like Blaine did.
I bet Greg would have flat-out refused to go to the Yellow District. He's seen how there is no enforcement mechanism in Bonanza, so he might have been willing to forgo his wages to stay with his best bud.
Old 11-16-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The last few seconds showing Laurel and Sophia made me realize where the true power lies in the town. Those two girls basically run the place. Laurel is the powerful leader, and Sophia is the strong arm that makes sure she stays in power. When her position was challenged, it wasnt just suprise on their faces, it was anger. You'd think that Sophia would be the logical person to challege for the council position, be she doesnt need it. She has all the influence she needs. Her job is to help Laurel, not take over.

Laurel has built the green district into a tight knit group and given it an 'us vs them' mentality which may distance them from the rest of the town, but it cements her position of authority.

Over analyzing this show is half the fun.

D
Old 11-16-07, 10:40 AM

I really wish the people here that gave up on the show after the first or second episode, would have given it a chance. I think that for most of us that have stayed the whole time, we have been pleasantly surprised by these kids. It has been an interesting hour to watch and Must See TV for me.

Chris
Old 11-16-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I really wish the people here that gave up on the show after the first or second episode, would have given it a chance. I think that for most of us that have stayed the whole time, we have been pleasantly surprised by these kids. It has been an interesting hour to watch and Must See TV for me.

Chris
I agree. My husband hated the first episode and now enjoys watching it with me each week
Old 11-19-07, 04:29 PM

The season finale is Dec 12th Spoilers!

So, that means only 4 more episodes left.

Chris