Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Journeyman--"Keepers"--10/29/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Journeyman--"Keepers"--10/29/07

Old 10-29-07, 02:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,985
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Journeyman--"Keepers"--10/29/07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Dan comes to the aid of two brothers traumatized by their father's abuse. Elsewhere, Dan and Livia eavesdrop on an intimate chat between Jack and Katie; and Jack suspects Dan has started gambling again.
Old 10-30-07, 12:46 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,002
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not quite as good as last week but another fun episode. I liked that they made peace with the brother even if it's not likely to last.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more of the brother's girlfriend. I'm glad she's been a recurring character.
Old 10-30-07, 12:49 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
cdoug57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Macon, Ga.
Posts: 1,014
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really enjoying this show. Seems that things are settling down, even if Dan has little control of the jumps. The brothers are going to need to talk soon about everything.

Really looking forward to next weeks storyline. Talk about the standard time paradox. Will be interesting to see how it is handled.

Doug
Old 10-30-07, 04:45 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,985
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I have to agree it wasn't quite as fun as last week, but it was a compelling storyline. I think it would have been more interesting to see Dan try to stop the abuse of the brothers than one of the brothers losing it and becoming a mad bomber. It was interesting to see Dan eavesdrop on Katie's conversation with his brother about her doubts prior to their marriage.

I want this show to succeed, but they will most likely need to move it to another night. Maybe a trade with Bionic Woman?
Old 10-30-07, 11:27 AM
  #5  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm actually liking this show better than Heroes these days. Less characters to worry about and we can just concentrate on the story.

I guess with the revelation from the 'bomber' brother that time travel is not possible, maybe it's a nod to a higher power causing his time travel.

I really hope the numbers from last night are at least the same as the previous week. But with Heroes having it's lowest viewership ratings last week, it may be a lost cause.

I think it's only a matter of time before Dan's brother finds out about his ability. But I think he's going to have to see it for himself to believe it. If Dan tries to tell him, he won't believe him and it would cause even more friction between them.

Chris
Old 10-30-07, 11:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I think it's only a matter of time before Dan's brother finds out about his ability. But I think he's going to have to see it for himself to believe it. If Dan tries to tell him, he won't believe him and it would cause even more friction between them.

Chris
I was hoping Dan would have poofed while he was at the wheel of the car when he floored it with his brother in the passenger seat.
Old 10-30-07, 02:36 PM
  #7  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I was hoping Dan would have poofed while he was at the wheel of the car when he floored it with his brother in the passenger seat.
Now THAT would have been funny!

Chris
Old 10-31-07, 08:49 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I have to agree it wasn't quite as fun as last week, but it was a compelling storyline.
Certainly was. The episode title was pretty cool too as we get to see two set of "my brother's keeper"s. We also see Katie deciding to keep Dan and the baby which when Dan witnesses the decision realizes that Katie too is a "keeper". Overall a very revealing episode for all the central characters' background. Very compelling.
Old 10-31-07, 09:56 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,755
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
I guess with the revelation from the 'bomber' brother that time travel is not possible, maybe it's a nod to a higher power causing his time travel.
i didn't take his comment as an absolute. the guy clearly wasn't telling all of the truth, especially when he was asked about langley.
Old 10-31-07, 09:58 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i didn't take his comment as an absolute. the guy clearly wasn't telling all of the truth, especially when he was asked about langley.

Plus he made the "nice shoes" comment. I think he knew what was going on but didn't want to come off as insane like he was in the past.
Old 10-31-07, 01:35 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i didn't take his comment as an absolute. the guy clearly wasn't telling all of the truth, especially when he was asked about langley.
Exactly. I actually think it was obvious that he was hiding something, implying that there IS something going with Langley, et al.

I actually thought at the end Dan was going to look down at the other guys shoes and they would be futuristic or something and Dan would have said "nice shoes" after the guys said time travel was not possible.
Old 10-31-07, 01:40 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numes
I actually thought at the end Dan was going to look down at the other guys shoes and they would be futuristic or something and Dan would have said "nice shoes" after the guys said time travel was not possible.
I can see how they could go there, but I doubt they will. I looked pretty closely at the opening title sequence and none of the dates I saw seemed to be later than the present. Now they haven't presented us with "the rules" of Dan's travels yet, but I'd assume he couldn't be tossed to the future. He'd have to fix things in the present and keep checking the future? How would he know what seems "correct"? I don't know... just seems like the present has to be the present for all of the travellers - like the central point/home base for them. I thoroughly believe that Livia is "hiding" somewhere in California 2007 when she's not travelling.
Old 10-31-07, 03:52 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep wondering if eventually some timeline will come up where Dan messes with his relationship with Kate (maybe even trying to help her & Jack work it out). Hard to say if Dan would rather be with Livia or not. Sure would make the time travel thing easier...not having a family at home.
Old 10-31-07, 04:01 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,002
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine that Dan would want to erase his son's existence.
Old 10-31-07, 04:40 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,360
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He needs to probe a bit into how Livia is tracking him through time, unless she has no control of it either.
Old 10-31-07, 04:57 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I can see how they could go there, but I doubt they will. I looked pretty closely at the opening title sequence and none of the dates I saw seemed to be later than the present. Now they haven't presented us with "the rules" of Dan's travels yet, but I'd assume he couldn't be tossed to the future. He'd have to fix things in the present and keep checking the future? How would he know what seems "correct"? I don't know... just seems like the present has to be the present for all of the travellers - like the central point/home base for them. I thoroughly believe that Livia is "hiding" somewhere in California 2007 when she's not travelling.
Good call. I think we have to make the assumption that 2007 is the present. I wasn't trying to imply anyone was going into the future, it was just something that popped up in my mind at that moment in the show.

Regardless, that guy is definitely hiding something.
Old 10-31-07, 05:17 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B.A.
He needs to probe a bit into how Livia is tracking him through time, unless she has no control of it either.
Livia's like a bad rash Dan can't get rid of.
Old 10-31-07, 06:53 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hawkeye Country
Posts: 2,421
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Livia's like a bad rash Dan can't get rid of.


I would say it's exactly the opposite. I'm sure he feels relieved when she is there, he has someone to talk to and help him on his "tracking". I think it's a great plot point and will undoubted (if the series continues) turn into a little bit of a twist down the road.
Old 10-31-07, 07:05 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see Dan all on his own with these little episodes into the past. No Livia, she's like his training wheels in becoming a time-travelling angel.

Last edited by Patman; 11-01-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 09:46 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm enjoying trying to figure out what the date is by the music playing in the background when he jumps. I was off by a year this time with Ah-ha's Take on Me. Actually, I was right that the song was released in 1985, but obviously it wouldn't be absurd that the song would still be playing in 1986.
Old 11-01-07, 10:00 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Ayre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,153
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
I'm enjoying trying to figure out what the date is by the music playing in the background when he jumps.
I am wondering if anyone caught the music from the vinyl the younger brother was playing. I am guessing Philip Glass.

I heard Third Eye Blind - Never Let You Go, from the Blue album (1999). Right after the song they said it was the year 2000.
Old 11-01-07, 10:59 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,864
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
I'm enjoying trying to figure out what the date is by the music playing in the background when he jumps. I was off by a year this time with Ah-ha's Take on Me. Actually, I was right that the song was released in 1985, but obviously it wouldn't be absurd that the song would still be playing in 1986.
Interesting point. I've noticed the same thing. A few weeks ago he was in 1993 with The Spin Doctor's "Two Princes" in the background which was SO 1992. (Not kidding.)

Originally Posted by Ayre
I heard Third Eye Blind - Never Let You Go, from the Blue album (1999). Right after the song they said it was the year 2000.
That's not terribly surprising. If a song is popular, it can hang around FOREVER. Adult Contemporary stations (we have virtually no pop radio stations in DC) play "Two Princes" all the time!

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-01-07 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-01-07, 12:28 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,771
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Interesting point. I've noticed the same thing. A few weeks ago he was in 1993 with The Spin Doctor's "Two Princes" in the background which was SO 1992. (Not kidding.)
Yeah. I noticed that one too. Only I think he was in 1994, which I knew was way off.
Old 11-04-07, 10:02 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another solid episode.

Hopefully this clears up the whole robbery storyline. I was affraid it was going to colide badly with the McClean money.

They didn't delve too much into his son knowing, but the conversation with Katie touched upon it.

Very interesting scene at the end with Katie and his brother.

I also think that the bomber brother was lying about tachions not being possible. Furthermore, I think the professor is somehow under the control of the government, and he's trying to get information to Dan when possible. I can't tell if Dan's dad was/is involved with Langley, but we'll see. Perhaps that's pushing connections too far.

Something really needs to give with Olivia. She's popping up way too often. Also, what's the reference to her "getting" it when Dan mentioned something about family? Does she perhaps live in the future/past and have kids? Be wild if Dan or Katie ran into a really old Olivia in the present.

Next week looks interesting, but perhaps problematic from a plot perspective!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.