Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "the Line" -- 10.29.2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
Maybe the writers are trying to make Heroes like the 24 of the East Coast. Every year they have to save New York. Last year it was a nuke(like 24 Season 2) and this year it's a virus(like 24 Season 3).
Interesting. Save the teenage girl = first half of 24 Season 1.
Old 10-30-07, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
As much as I liked Hiro last year, this storyline is going nowhere fast. I knew something was going to happen with "Kensi". He wasn't acting genuine enough to me. I wonder if Hiro will have to go back again and fix stuff - otherwise we're in a paradox and I'm not looking to have my head hurt that much.
I think it all depends on how they want to approach time travel in the series, really. We could say that since the future that Ando's reading the scrolls in is unchanged, that Hiro did end up fixing whatever he did and got things back on track. Maybe he kills Kensei (if his power works the same as Claire's, then a sword through the brain would do it) and then wears the armor while destroying the guns.

Or, they could make it so that it was ALWAYS like that... sort of the "closed circle" approach. I've seen that done before (most notably in Babylon 5), and while it's a bit weird, it would still be workable.

Back to the whole regeneration thing, though... it just occurred to me that if Claire can be killed by a severe enough injury to her brain, shouldn't she be a lot more careful about anything that might crush her skull (such as leaping out of tall windows or off of Hollywood signs)?
Old 10-30-07, 09:59 AM

Wow, so if they show all the characters' stories, it is not enough time for each one. If they only show some of the stories, then you complain that they don't show all of the stories. I think some of you just like to complain no matter what they give you.

The first season will always be better, because EVERYTHING is new.

Let's look at what we have going on:

- Kensei is a traitor and now Hiro has to become the new Kensei and fix history, or does he?
- Adam Monroe was working with Peter to stop the Company. Who is this man and what powers does he have?
- Bob helping out Monica. Is he trying to make a weapon or is he trying to do the right thing?
- The drawings revealed the following (from memory):
Claire dead on the steps (revealed this week).
Hiro vs Kensei in a duel.
A vial (probably the virus, and maybe from this week).
Someone with a bandage on their face shooting someone (HRG?)

It'd be nice to actually talk about the show instead of just whining that it isn't super-awesome-kick-ass-spectaular. I've seen some valid arguments, but if you are just going to say that the show sucks this season, then you bring nothing to the conversation.
Old 10-30-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was no reason why Peter's storyline up until this point couldn't have been compacted to 1 episode. That is the problem with this season, it is taking too long to get things where they need to be. At the end of the episode, I was like, okay, this is where we should have seen Peter end up at the end of season premiere. At least now we have an idea about something they are going to be working toward this season.

I know I am in the minority but I actually like the Claire subplot. This week it reminded me of Heathers the way her new boyfriend gets her to set up the main Heather. I bet that this will have complications that will cause much guilt for Claire and probably hints at a dark side for him.

Again, nothing much happened to the Wonder Twins storyline. Their entire plot thus far could have happened in 1 episode. You know it is bad when you are actually hoping that Sylar will get his groove back and murder them.

Hiro's story should also have been compacted. I think I would have enjoyed his story much better if it happened over 1-2 episodes thus far.

The first season was so much better because each episode advanced the storyline significantly, but this season is just spinning its wheels. I think they shoudl have re-wrote this and compacted the story and then just came up with something else for the second half.

I kind of wish I had saved all these to watch all at once on the DVR. It probably wouldn't seem as bad if you blew through all the episodes in one sitting rather than painfully waiting each week for the episode only for nothing much to happen.
Old 10-30-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Have we seen Adam yet?
According to the Onion AV Club's recap:

Spoiler:
Now while I don’t generally like to discuss sources besides the episodes themselves, I couldn’t help Googling “Adam Monroe,” only to find out that he’s been mentioned before outside of the show: Heroes: The Mobile Game names him as one of the original founders of The Company, so it seems as though either he’s turned against his former colleagues, or he’s one of many who’s caught on that manipulating Peter is super easy (not to mention fun!). It’s probably too soon for such speculation, of course, but what the fuck…Who wants to play a round of wild guessing? Monroe is the Hooded Killer! Monroe is Darth Veronica’s father! Monroe is Kensei! Monroe shot Mr. Burns! Whee! Please don’t turn out to be totally lame!

Not sure if I really needed to spoilerize that or not.
Old 10-30-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
According to the Onion AV Club's recap:

Not sure if I really needed to spoilerize that or not.
Darth Veronica
Old 10-30-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
They pretty clearly indicated that they had contacted border patrol. I think the way they were acting is an indication of disdain for such groups on the part of the people creating the show. I imagine the resemblance to zombies was intentional.
That part kind of pissed me off. I'm hardly a conservative, but I hate it when the hippy-dippy opinions of writers show through so transparently and intentionally mock and mischaracterize a group of people. I mean, they basically said those people deserved to die.
Old 10-30-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Darth Veronica
Or Darth Marz.
Old 10-30-07, 10:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Judremy
Someone with a bandage on their face shooting someone (HRG?)
looks like HRG would be the person shot (the bandaged guy painting was 7/8, HRG dead painting is 8/8). bandaged guy can't be peter, as peter heals. maybe Adam? it definitely wasn't someone easily recognizable.

i also wanted to add that i think i've offically made it on DVDTalk. Someone is using one of my quotes as a signature!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-30-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-30-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
That part kind of pissed me off. I'm hardly a conservative, but I hate it when the hippy-dippy opinions of writers show through so transparently and intentionally mock and mischaracterize a group of people.
You do realize that portraying border patrol as zombies is not too far from portraying liberals as "hippy-dippy". Nobody actually died. It is a fictional show. Who know the writers may be conservative and just writing a super hero show.
I mean, they basically said those people deserved to die.
Regardless of right or wrong, If you point a gun at someone and fire, you assume the risk that they may defend themselves.
Old 10-30-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
looks like HRG would be the person shot (the bandaged guy painting was 7/8, HRG dead painting is 8/8). bandaged guy can't be peter, as peter heals. maybe Adam? it definitely wasn't someone easily recognizable.
I'm pretty sure it was Mohinder. He had the same curly black hair, dark skin and patchy beard. Plus he was crying in the painting and we all know how emotional he gets. My guess is that he's shooting Molly or Matt.
Old 10-30-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Hiro was the most interesting character, now he's the most boring.
Old 10-30-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Maybe I missed it last season but how is Gabriel/Sylar responsible for releasing the virus?

I thought this was the best episode of the season (and I don't think they've been bad at all) but the Claire stuff has been just horrible this season and last night was no exception.
Old 10-30-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I liked the episode. But Claire Boyfriend storyline as well as the twins that cry chocolate storyline are still completely DOA in my book.
Old 10-30-07, 12:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
I'm pretty sure it was Mohinder. He had the same curly black hair, dark skin and patchy beard. Plus he was crying in the painting and we all know how emotional he gets. My guess is that he's shooting Molly or Matt.

definitely possible. I'll need to watch it again, but in my viewing, the skin didn't look dark at all.
Old 10-30-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That part kind of pissed me off. I'm hardly a conservative, but I hate it when the hippy-dippy opinions of writers show through so transparently and intentionally mock and mischaracterize a group of people. I mean, they basically said those people deserved to die.
Regardless of one's views on immigration, I think it is fair to say that these minutemen folks are pretty reckless, taking the law into their own hands. They do not have to be out there, so it is not like they are innocent in the situation. They do represent an extreme fringe group. The left has their whackos also. If it was a hippy who chained himself to a tree, the audience would probably have a similar reaction if the tree got chopped down. Not "they deserved to die" but more like "oops, but you brought that shit upon yourself".
Old 10-30-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Regardless of one's views on immigration, I think it is fair to say that these minutemen folks are pretty reckless, taking the law into their own hands. They do not have to be out there, so it is not like they are innocent in the situation. They do represent an extreme fringe group. The left has their whackos also. If it was a hippy who chained himself to a tree, the audience would probably have a similar reaction if the tree got chopped down. Not "they deserved to die" but more like "oops, but you brought that shit upon yourself".
Wholeheartedly agree, Jadzia. These so-called "minutemen" (and I hate that they have now tainted the actual historical minutemen by association) - who these slack-jawed yokels clearly are meant to represent - "guard" the border by detaining, harrassing and even killing border-jumping illegals and the good ol' boy law usually turns a blind eye. Perhaps if instead of complaining about all the "jobs the illegals are stealing", they should get a few of their own. If they were punching a clock instead of black-water-ing around in pick-ups with rifles, their wives wouldn't have to tell their children that Daddy's dead because he is a biggoted moron.

All that being said, when political agendas are handled heavy-handedly (even views I share), I can't help but groan and roll my eyes. (See: Muscle Mimmick girl and her Katrina-news-footage introspection or the "Smallville" episode on illegal immigration in which a farmer with "Tremors" powers is killing illegals and Clark actual proclaims to his anti-illegal-immigration mother, "But I'M AN ILLEGAL ALIEN!" )

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 10-30-07 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Judremy
Wow, so if they show all the characters' stories, it is not enough time for each one. If they only show some of the stories, then you complain that they don't show all of the stories. I think some of you just like to complain no matter what they give you.
Really, both of those issues stem from the same problem: TOO MANY CHARACTERS!

I didn't agree with that sentiment at first, but the show is starting to lose steam and it seems like the sheer number of characters is the reason. We're going whole episodes without seeing some characters which kills whatever momentum their story may have had, or we're getting too many storylines in the same episode which only serves to water them down.

I'm starting to think I'd almost prefer a Lost-style approach to the episodes, where a single episode is centered around one character, but other arcs can make appearances.

At any rate, I'm not ready to write the show off yet. I'll probably still watch it through the end of the season, but it's looking increasingly less likely that I'll buy the DVD.
Old 10-30-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Regardless of one's views on immigration, I think it is fair to say that these minutemen folks are pretty reckless, taking the law into their own hands. They do not have to be out there, so it is not like they are innocent in the situation. They do represent an extreme fringe group.
Oh hogwash. And it's illegal immigration, by the way, not immigration in general. The vast majority of these groups merely report illegal crossings to the border patrol, but it's been a citizen's right in our society to apprehend law breakers for hundreds of years, since before we even had a dedicated law enforcement. You don't get to dole out punishments as a citizen, but you can apprehend somebody if they break the law.

These groups wouldn't feel the need to be out there if the government did more than a half-assed job at stopping illegals crossing. I wasn't terribly offended by the portrayal of the group, because it came right after the illegals drove right through an unfinished (and therefore completely useless) border fence. It seemed like it was taking a stab at both sides.
Old 10-30-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some good and bad with the episode.

The bad:
-Claire's storyline needs to stop. It's painfully boring. It would be mildly entertaining if they could show some kind of plot advancement or character development, but as it is, I don't really care if she makes the cheerleading squad.
-Micah's cousin must not be the sharpest pencil in the box. She just meets and goes away with Suresh to some unknown location? She was just going to let him inject her with something without knowing what it is? Smart move!

The good:
-It seems the other stories are slowly advancing - enough to keep me interested anyways.
- Maya and Alejandro finally made it into the U.S.! About time. Now they need something interesting to do. I'm hoping Alejandro actually understood Sylar, but was playing dumb.
Old 10-30-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Alejandro actually understood Sylar, he would have killed him then and there.
Old 10-30-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Oh hogwash. And it's illegal immigration, by the way, not immigration in general. The vast majority of these groups merely report illegal crossings to the border patrol, but it's been a citizen's right in our society to apprehend law breakers for hundreds of years, since before we even had a dedicated law enforcement. You don't get to dole out punishments as a citizen, but you can apprehend somebody if they break the law.

These groups wouldn't feel the need to be out there if the government did more than a half-assed job at stopping illegals crossing. I wasn't terribly offended by the portrayal of the group, because it came right after the illegals drove right through an unfinished (and therefore completely useless) border fence. It seemed like it was taking a stab at both sides.
Far be it for me to defend a Jadzia post, but for Christ's sake, it's a bloody TV show. Get some perspective.
Old 10-30-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the show was a little shaky when they were first introducing Maya and Alejandro, but overall I've been enjoying this season. I guess I'm in the minority.
Old 10-30-07, 04:03 PM

I don't hate the show. It's just boring. I am waiting for something...anything...

You know what I call this show. Caffeine Free Diet Lost. It's Lost without the good stuff.
Old 10-30-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's Lost... if Lost was 100% flashbacks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.