Reload this Page >

NBC online player absolutely stinks

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-25-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I missed Bionic Woman (I know, I know) guilty. Thought to catch up over morning coffee but no such luck. Player froze about five minutes in. Tried again, froze. Tried again, "program not responding". NBC "Tech Support" forum has several pages of complaints and not a single response from "Tech Support". I tried IE and Firefox, disabled virus protection, ad block, popup block etc. to no avail. I finally gave up on this exercise in frustration. The CBS and ABC players work fine without disabling anything. Anyway, fair warning. If you miss an NBC show and think to catch up online, best of luck. You'll need it.
Old 10-25-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lucky for you it is being re-aired tomorrow night at 7pm on the Sci-Fi Channel. Not lucky if you don't have Sci-Fi though...
Old 10-25-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
I missed Bionic Woman (I know, I know) guilty. Thought to catch up over morning coffee but no such luck. Player froze about five minutes in. Tried again, froze. Tried again, "program not responding". NBC "Tech Support" forum has several pages of complaints and not a single response from "Tech Support". I tried IE and Firefox, disabled virus protection, ad block, popup block etc. to no avail. I finally gave up on this exercise in frustration. The CBS and ABC players work fine without disabling anything. Anyway, fair warning. If you miss an NBC show and think to catch up online, best of luck. You'll need it.
Your critisism annoys me on several levels. You make a blanket statement about catching up on their website, and how bad it is, yet you have only had a problem once?

Not to mention if was in the AM (time zone?), so it's very possible that the technicians weren't even in the office yet. Are they suppose to support 24/7 on demand?

As a counterpiont, I've probably watch a good 10 episodes online through their site, and have yet to have a problem.

Now if you want to talk substantively about NBC's implimentation of shows on demand then I'd welcome that conversation as I believe there is plent of room for improvement.
Old 10-25-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hulu.com will supposedly go live in the next couple weeks. Its a joint venture between NBC and Fox. I doubt many free shows will remain at NBC's site. They have already removed their videos from some sites.
Old 10-25-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have the biggest problem with ABC's shows. I can't count how many times Lost froze up on me. I used to have to restart it like 50 times, then skip to where I left off while having to watch all the commercials again.
Old 10-25-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Lucky for you it is being re-aired tomorrow night at 7pm on the Sci-Fi Channel. Not lucky if you don't have Sci-Fi though...
Thanks for the tip. I usually watch OTA HD live (record Criminal Minds OTA HD) but analog cable is better than nothing. I should just buy another HD card and dump the analog cards...
Old 10-25-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
Your critisism annoys me on several levels. You make a blanket statement about catching up on their website, and how bad it is, yet you have only had a problem once?

Not to mention if was in the AM (time zone?), so it's very possible that the technicians weren't even in the office yet. Are they suppose to support 24/7 on demand?
Once? I have the problem and continue to have it. I also took into account the dozens of complaints on their forum.
It may not have been clear to you but I did say there were several pages of complaints. They didn't happen overnight. In fact, they go back a month without a single response from tech support. I can only wonder why NBC has a tech support forum if they don't respond to tech issues.
I don't know but I strongly suspect they decided selling shows on Amazon (or the site Ayre mentions) would be more lucrative than the advertising model.
Old 10-25-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
So while we're on the topic of online players... Why can't ABC make the volume of their online commercials the same as the rest of the show?
Old 10-25-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My problem is that I can only get it to work if a certain brand is sponsoring an episode. I don't know how many times I've watched the "brought to you by Bertolli (or Papa John's)" screen only to have it switch to an ad that won't load. I'm good to go if I get Excerdrin, Fizer, or Charles Schwab! This being the case, I have to reload the episode over and over until the right sponsor comes up for me.
Old 10-25-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Once? I have the problem and continue to have it. I also took into account the dozens of complaints on their forum.
It may not have been clear to you but I did say there were several pages of complaints. They didn't happen overnight. In fact, they go back a month without a single response from tech support. I can only wonder why NBC has a tech support forum if they don't respond to tech issues.
I don't know but I strongly suspect they decided selling shows on Amazon (or the site Ayre mentions) would be more lucrative than the advertising model.
Fair enough, but your original post made it seem like there was a singular incident in the morning, which in turn generated a lot of negative feedback on their support page from angry users who didn't see it resolved "soon" enough.
Old 10-25-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
So while we're on the topic of online players... Why can't ABC make the volume of their online commercials the same as the rest of the show?
I second that!

I also find that NBC has the best interface/setup of all of the networks. However, I think ABC has the best media (regular or HD).
Old 10-25-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't used it, but my girlfriend watches Bionic Woman with it and doesn't seem to have any problems.

I'd know, since she runs to me as soon as anything bad happens on the computer.
Old 10-25-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never been able to get NBC's to work properly. I have a T1 internet connection (wired) and the player always freezes about 2/3 minutes into an episode and then it continues to freeze every several seconds - to the point were it is too annoying to watch anything on it.
Old 10-25-07, 02:56 PM
Banned

I've never had a problem with NBC or ABC's online players. The only network I've had problems with was when I was trying to watch CBS's unaired Smith episodes online. Now that was one pathetic online player.

Actually, what was strange was when I went onto NBC's site to watch Heroes and Journeyman and there were no commercial interruptions. Both episodes played all the way through.
Old 10-25-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Legolas
I've never had a problem with NBC or ABC's online players. The only network I've had problems with was when I was trying to watch CBS's unaired Smith episodes online. Now that was one pathetic online player.

Actually, what was strange was when I went onto NBC's site to watch Heroes and Journeyman and there were no commercial interruptions. Both episodes played all the way through.
Not sure about Journeyman, but wasn't Heroes (at least the Premiere) sponsored only by Nissan? If they didn't have online Nissan commercials, they probably couldn't put any in (other than the blatantly obvious product placement in the episodes themselves).
Old 10-25-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Havne't had any problems whatsoever. It's perfect, to me.
Old 10-29-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went to the "30 Rock" page and I can't get any of the clips to play. I just get black boxes that do nothing. Any idea what could be wrong and how I could fix it?

(I'm running XP, if that helps)
Old 10-29-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Legolas
The only network I've had problems with was when I was trying to watch CBS's unaired Smith episodes online. Now that was one pathetic online player.
I have to agree. I watched Supernatural on CW's site, and it was flawless. Tried watching Moonlight on CBS? AWFUL! The show never came back from a commercial break correctly. It would play the next "part" starting at the last 10 seconds of the segment then show another commercial with no way to go back. It took me almost 90 minutes to finally get through "Fever". I'll never do THAT again unless my reception is just so flat out terrible that my TiVo recording is unwatchable. Faced with CBS's player, I may just dump the show.
Old 10-29-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also find the CBS player to be the worst. If it locks up when you're halfway through the show or more, it's a royal pain to get back to the point where you left off. It will also no longer go fullscreen for me. I've just about given up on it.

NBC - I like the fact that you can select which chapter to go to, but it doesn't always work. They also need to increase the size of their video.

ABC - They are by far my favorite, because the only shows I ever try to watch there are available through their HD player, and compared to the others, it's pretty great. Full screen, decent picture quality, not too hard to get back to where I left off, rarely freezes me out.

Those are the only ones I've tried so far I'm not sure which other networks have full shows available.

Last edited by kitkat; 10-29-07 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-29-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Fox's sucks too. I watched a couple "Back at You" eps I missed the other day and the player was a real pain. I have to catch up on HOUSE on the same site and I'm dreading it.
Old 11-03-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The player won't load for me tonight... and I wanna watch Las Vegas!
Old 11-04-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched the Office the other day at work on NBC's player without any issues either.

I'd chalk up the issues just to the nature of trying to watch high quality streams. I've seen it be hit or miss sometimes.
Old 11-04-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had problems with the Office multiple times locking up.
Old 11-04-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NBC's player is state of the art compared to CBS's online player. I've been about 1 watch exactly 1 show on that thing without any problems. Every other time it forgets to comeback from a commercial or replays the same section or just skips to the very end.

D
Old 11-04-07, 08:03 PM

I was trying to watch a Friday Night Lights snippet earlier and it kept freezing in the middle of the advertisement and I could never get to the actual clip.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.