TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life--"The Fallen Woman" 10/24/2007

Old 10-24-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Life--"The Fallen Woman" 10/24/2007

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A woman is found wearing an angel costume dead. Crews and Reese must figure out if it was suicide or murder. They find out the victim might have been involved in a scam involving Russian brides. The big problem they face is that they can't get to the ringleader.

I always find it a chore to get myself to start an episode, but each time I finish one I realize how decent this show is! Though I may be the only person watching it!
Old 10-24-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched the four episodes that were online. I'm liking this show too.
Old 10-24-07, 04:14 PM

You are not alone.........

This is one of my favorite new shows!
Old 10-25-07, 09:07 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one's still on the short list for my favorite new show. I thought this episode was a little lax -- Roman seemed to have too much inside info, for instance -- but still pretty interesting.
Old 10-25-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Life reminds me a bit of the first season of Veronica Mars in the way each episode provides another piece of the puzzle. Hope it lasts the full season and concludes the "who framed me" investigation at that time.
Old 10-25-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cases have been the weak point in the series but I thought the case this week was actually pretty good. Crews beating the sh*t out of that guy who hit Griffiths was pretty good. We didn’t get to see as much of the “Puzzle” parts; but the possibility of his former partner having the money was a pretty good way to go.

This is one of three of my favorite new shows of the season. I think Pushing Daisies is probably my favorite new show thus far and The Big Bang Theory has been a pretty solid, un-pretentious sitcom and Life, although probably my third favorite new show of the season has been pretty entertaining.

I think the only thing that this show has working against it; is that it’s another Crime Drama. But thankfully it’s not another ‘CSI’ or ‘Law & Order’ type Crime Drama.
Old 10-25-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is my favorite show of the new season. Where I usually Tivo a show and watch it later, this one I've been watching almost live. I hope it sticks around.
Old 10-25-07, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Still loving this. Lewis is great, his partner and lawyer are easy on the eyes, and it's got a good mix of single episode stories and the ongoing "who dunnit" mystery.

If anything, I'd like to see a BIT more of the story on who framed him and why, but I'm sure they'll save a lot of that for the sweeps months.

Hopefully it sticks around for us to find out.
Old 10-25-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
Also watching and enjoying.
Old 10-25-07, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It took me forever to realize that Julia was played by Jessica Pare (was Courtney on "Jack and Bobby").

The little moments between Charlie and his partner crack me up, plus I liked how Charlie parlayed a bit of solidarity when Reese's backstory was revealed by "Roman".

Regardless of whatever zen philosophy that Charlie espouses, his prison experience still allows him to put a beat-down on someone in order to dissuade further attempts by the guy who attacked Constance. You can root for a stand-up guy like that, in spite of personal and professional costs to Charlie (though since he's loaded, the repurcussions are as steep for him as they would be for others less affluent).
Old 10-26-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Garret Dillahunt is becoming a real TV presence. He plays a terrific scumbag. We'll likely see Roman Novikov again.
Old 10-26-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
It was good to see that ol' nipple-neck (Cudahy) on TV again (no, I didn't watch Veronica Mars).
Old 10-26-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
This episode gave me 'The Shield' vibes
Glen Mazzara producing
Charlie going all Vic Mackey on that dude in the end.
And Roman reminded me of Margos Dezerian
Old 10-26-07, 05:49 PM

Garret Dillahunt looks like he could be the brother of Peter Krause (pronounced Krausuuh). I didn't notice "The Shield" vibe until you pointed it out. I got a more "Usual Suspects" vibe with Roman as Keyser Soze what with him being born in a Russian prison, knowing the background of everyone, timing the exact arrival of his lawyer, making the boyfriend his dog, and basically being untouchable by the cops.

Is it just me, or do Russians pull off badA$$ look with aviator glasses, silk shirts, and gold chains better than Italian mobsters? I think the latter group just looks like caricatures.

If this show gets picked up long-term, I hope Crews investigation into his incarceration is only a season arc (as opposed to running the entire series). It would be great to have him go head to head against Roman in season two.

The writing is like a tighter version of Monk. I remember when they introduced Natalie, I inferred Adrian was going to discover how Natalie's husband was framed. Three episodes in, and we're still getting key background info on Reese with the 15-second history provided by Roman.

What I wouldn't give to be picked up by Sarah Shahi. Does it look like her character replaced alcohol and drug abuse with sex addiction?

By the way, who the heck is Cudahy?
Old 10-27-07, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
It took me forever to realize that Julia was played by Jessica Pare (was Courtney on "Jack and Bobby").
I recognized her the minute I saw her teeth.

Dillahunt was a nice addition - hopefully he pops up from time to time.

Lewis is top-notch in this role. This show has exceeded my expectations.
Old 10-27-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
This episode gave me 'The Shield' vibes
I was getting Luther Mahoney vibes from 'Homicide'.
Old 10-27-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Great episode this week. I was actually interested in the case along with the frame up mystery. I echo the sentiment that they wrap the frame up mystery by season's end.
Old 10-28-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Life reminds me a bit of the first season of Veronica Mars in the way each episode provides another piece of the puzzle. Hope it lasts the full season and concludes the "who framed me" investigation at that time.
Definitely agree with this post. each ep is a piece of the over arcing mystery. I too, think this is one of the best new shows on tv this season.
Old 10-28-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was a great episode, just got around to watching it this afternoon. Agreed, I hope that the season ends with the resolution of who framed Crews and I'm enjoying the clues from each episode.

What's so hilarious, is that as I watched the girl they tried to break with the portrait, it was her teeth that I recognized....and to come here and read that it was Jessica Pare from Jack&Bobby.

This is my favorite show of the year by a long shot. Since the writers haven't given us much of Reese's back story, I'm looking forward to more time with her character.
Old 10-28-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
I had forgotten about this show (I meant to watch it for Sarah Shahi). Is it hard to get into if you've missed the first few episodes (I recorded this particularly episode)?
Old 10-28-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I had forgotten about this show (I meant to watch it for Sarah Shahi). Is it hard to get into if you've missed the first few episodes (I recorded this particularly episode)?
NBC seems to be offering the episodes on their website .... I recommend that you at least watch the Pilot.
Old 10-29-07, 11:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
I think you'll get into it , I like this show as much as I liked Boomtown. They remind me a lot of each other, clearly boomtown had the whole multi level story going on but the settings of course, and the characters/writing remind me a lot of Boomtown.

Love Crews and his partner. It is fast becoming my 1st much watch show.