Curb Your Enthusiasm - "The Tivo Guy" - 10/21/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-21-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
This week, a malfunctioning TV device puts Larry's marriage with Cheryl into a crisis mode in Episode 57: The TiVo Guy.
Old 10-21-07, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that Farva?
Old 10-21-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I thought so too, but I doubt it. This sounds like it's going to be a good one...
Old 10-21-07, 09:30 PM
Banned

Great episode and one of the more focused efforts in a long time. This probably made my top 10 curbs ever.
"Long balls; change Yo drawers"

(and BTW Lucy Lawless is lookin pretty damn good.)
Old 10-21-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- wasn't expecting a break up but I guess it could lead to some funny dating scenarios in future episodes.
- "you got some long ass balls, long ball larry" Hilarious
- Lucy Lawless is HOT

good episode!
Old 10-21-07, 09:49 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
"Long ball Larry"...damn Leon is funny.
Old 10-21-07, 10:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wow...Lucy Lawless has never looked better. Great episode all the way through.
Old 10-21-07, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the LOST reference by Larry in the beginning.
Old 10-22-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts
Another vote for Lucy Lawless. Wow! Very nice.

Not a bad episode. Wonder where they'll go from here?

I think I would've smacked the guy on the cell phone in the restaurant. One of those situations where I completely agree with Larry.

Marty is a damn turncoat! I thought Larry was his best friend, and the Funkhousers are choosing Cheryl?

Last edited by andicus; 10-22-07 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-22-07, 07:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
There is just something missing from this season, as I have yet to watch a episode that was funny from start to finish. Each episode has a some funny parts, but the comedy just seems off this year.

I know Larry got divorced in real life, but I thought that happened after he finished taping this season, or was it the other way around?
Old 10-22-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I feel bad for Larry

I'm not a Sheryl fan (she looks like a monkey)

Lucy Lawless was hawt!! I would never have guessed she was the same person.
Old 10-22-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Cheryl SURE moved on rather q
Old 10-22-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coli
There is just something missing from this season, as I have yet to watch a episode that was funny from start to finish. Each episode has a some funny parts, but the comedy just seems off this year.

I know Larry got divorced in real life, but I thought that happened after he finished taping this season, or was it the other way around?

I don't think so. I think it was going on for a while. His wife was apparently screwing around on him with the caretaker for their compound in Martha's Vineyard.

I guess he just decided he didn't want to do comedy about marriage when he was going through a divorce.
Old 10-22-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I feel bad for Larry

I'm not a Sheryl fan (she looks like a monkey)

Lucy Lawless was hawt!! I would never have guessed she was the same person.
I had a really hard time mustering sympathy for Larry being dumped by Cheryl. I just wonder what took her so long. You could even tell Larry knew it was inevitable. A woman would have to be a doormat to put up with that guy.

That said he's funny as hell when he makes an ass of himself. And he doesn't seem to be taking it all that hard.
Old 10-22-07, 11:06 AM

I used to love this show. I have all the previous seasons on DVD and watch them every now and then and still love them, but this season for me has been a huge letdown. I think I laughed twice last night. Seems like this show has fallen similar to Sopranos after season 3 and Simpsons many years ago. Not that these shows are at all alike, just that they were once great and then they just dropped madly in quality. I think I'm done with this show and I'm considering cancelling HBO, unless I hear of something of interest coming soon.
Rest in Peace great HBO shows and ones that were once great: OZ, Six Feet Under, Sopranos (1 - 3), Carnivale, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Old 10-22-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the way they're tearing Larry down this season. His wife leaves him, he loses all his friends, and he gets kicked in the jimmy by Richard Lewis. This felt like a penultimate episode, but there are still a couple more to go before the finale. I can't wait to see how they resolve this.

das
Old 10-22-07, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Leon is greatness.
Old 10-22-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saoirse
I used to love this show. I have all the previous seasons on DVD and watch them every now and then and still love them, but this season for me has been a huge letdown. I think I laughed twice last night. Seems like this show has fallen similar to Sopranos after season 3 and Simpsons many years ago. Not that these shows are at all alike, just that they were once great and then they just dropped madly in quality. I think I'm done with this show and I'm considering cancelling HBO, unless I hear of something of interest coming soon.
I felt the same way about Curb last season, which I thought was horrible. I was hoping that the last season was the end of it.

After the long break, I decided to give this season another chance. I am just not into it either. I find myself bored with it and I think might drop it. The situations seem more and more forced and often it is just a bunch of people yelling at each other.

The show used to be so good, I don't know what happened.
Old 10-22-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar
I had a really hard time mustering sympathy for Larry being dumped by Cheryl.
I agree its a long time coming but I'd be furious if my wife up and left me one day and the next day I see her on a date.

Originally Posted by cungar
A woman would have to be a doormat to put up with that guy.
I think there are plenty women out there that are willing to be doormats for the kind of "security" Larry David can provide.

I hope Larry and Cheryl signed a pre-nup.
Old 10-22-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I love the way they're tearing Larry down this season. His wife leaves him, he loses all his friends, and he gets kicked in the jimmy by Richard Lewis. This felt like a penultimate episode, but there are still a couple more to go before the finale. I can't wait to see how they resolve this.

das
I loved that. Larry gives Lewis a kidney. Lewis kicks Larry in the nuts.

I also really liked the Funkhauser roadside memorial, and Lewis's girlfriend chatting Larry up every time he tried to go to the bathroom. I also think Vivica Fox in the recurring role of sitting around his house in her sweatpants is funny.

Some of the gags seemed a little contrived. I didn't like the flameout with McEnroe, and I didn't like the bit with the hostess and the reservation last night.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 10-22-07 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was wishing I had no fly zone undies, I was laughing so hard at some of the scenes in this episode.
Old 10-22-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Last night was great - easily the best of the season.

"Long ass balls"

The fake conversation had me rolling too.

I've actually been recording these episodes off to VHS for a friend who doesn't have HBO, and most of the time it's my second viewing. Every episode has seemed better the second time to me.
Old 10-22-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
I agree its a long time coming but I'd be furious if my wife up and left me one day and the next day I see her on a date.

I think there are plenty women out there that are willing to be doormats for the kind of "security" Larry David can provide.

I hope Larry and Cheryl signed a pre-nup.
Larry seemed more furious with the way the Maitre'De was treating him than being dumped by Cheryl. This is actually one of the things I like about him. Things that would be traumatic to most people roll off his back and things that most people would ignore make him nuts. I think he got this from Woody Allen.

On your second point, most of those women aren't as smart as Cheryl.
Old 10-22-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Question - what was with the whole tissue/mint/pen thing?
Old 10-22-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Larry's only redeeming qualities are that he always has mints, tissues and a pen... other than that, he's an asshole...that was pretty hilarious. Another solid episode... I thought season 4 was the lowpoint, so I'm surprised to hear some people not enjoying this season...I think it's been one of the best yet. Leon is hilarious... I love when the doctor tries to explain to Larry what happened, Larry's not getting it but Leon states it so matter of factly: "Twisted balls Larry"... awesome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.