Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friday Night Lights - "Are You Ready for Friday Night?" 10/19/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I think the best exchange all season so far was between Julie and Tami when Julie says something like Tami gave up on her when the baby arrived. Wow...
Yep, that was solid. The dialog is still top notch, it is just the situations all the characters are in that are absurd. Last year everything, while rushed, still felt genuine and realistic. This year is a soap opera run amok.

Along the dialog discussion, another subtle touch that speaks volumes of Julie was when she said "Your baby is crying" to Tami. They didn't really set her up as the spoiled "only child" last year, so it was odd at first, but definitely fitting. It's her sister for crying out loud.

So far this season, the best exchange for me is still the "be a man" scene between Landry and Tyra.

I think it was also short-sighted that Tami thought she would stay for the Dillon kids when she knew she would be on maternity leave anyway and be parenting two kids solo.
Old 10-23-07, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riggins ?

am I the only one who thought/thinks that he was never really into the god scene, he was faking his newfound love for god to get into heaven (Lyla's pants)?
Old 10-23-07, 10:49 AM

When did Tami find out that she was pregnant last season? I thought that it was at the end of the season but maybe I'm wrong. I know that summer break is not 9 months long though.
Old 10-23-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roachman313
When did Tami find out that she was pregnant last season? I thought that it was at the end of the season but maybe I'm wrong. I know that summer break is not 9 months long though.
I don't know when she found out, but she told Coach Taylor during state if I remember correctly.
Old 10-23-07, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tami found out in the last episode and the new season picked up 8 months later. I think it was referenced in the first episode that they won the state championship 8 months ago.

As for Riggins? Who knows what he was thinking. Maybe there was one moment where he actually did get something from the sermon.. but like many of his one moments.. it didn't last long.
Old 10-23-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I don't know when she found out, but she told Coach Taylor during state if I remember correctly.
Correct, which would have been around Dec. The end of the football season(end of season 1) isn't the end of the school year. Then you figure she was a month or so pregnant when she found out and you are looking at a July/August birth.
Old 10-23-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Tami found out in the last episode and the new season picked up 8 months later. I think it was referenced in the first episode that they won the state championship 8 months ago.
Well who knows how far along she was when she found out (some people don't show - and since they were having problems conceiving that may have been the last thing on her mind in terms of any minor weight gain). I thought football would have been done by Thanksgiving which would make her end of August delivery pretty accurate as an almost full-term pregnancy.
Old 10-23-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
I must say that this feels like a different show now. Last season was amazing, but this one is just okay. The writing has really dipped in quality and some of the storylines are just bad, (the murder, Riggins finding God, ect). Also, I still don't get why Landry is playing football. It seems so out of character seeing as how he despised everything about it last season. In fact, it feels like the writers got lazy and didn't feel like finding natural moments to get him on screen so they just put him on the team.
I disagree. I think it's just as good as last season, and the humor is better. I agree that the murder thing is a bit out there, but overall, it's still the best show on!
Old 10-24-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got around to watching this one, thought it was the best ep of the year.

First time I felt we caught some of last years mojo.
Old 10-27-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
And the Street/Riggins Mexico adventure does not make me happy either. Street seems like a smart guy, so why's he going in for this?!?
i'm not even going to pretend that I know what goes through your mind as a new para/quadrapelegic, but i'd imagine he's desperate to walk again, and would go for anything. as his friend said, it's right on schedule and people will take advantage of those feelings.
Old 08-26-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
WTH is going on?!

-- Lyla has gone from annoying cheerleader bitch, to preachy holier than thou saint?
-- Murder and a cover-up?!
-- Mysterious leg healer in Mexico?!
-- Riggins looking for God?
-- Saracen potentially hooking up with the in-home care for his grandmother?!

I stop short of lumping Julie in there along with her stoner boyfriend from college. As much as I want to kick her into next week that story is very believable.

Anybody else feel like they are getting their heart ripped out when they watch Mrs. Coach cry?
Old 08-26-08, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Toldja.

I was going to joke about the whole Landry/Tyra murder thing...but it actually happened!
Old 08-27-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07
WTH is going on?!

-- Lyla has gone from annoying cheerleader bitch, to preachy holier than thou saint?
-- Murder and a cover-up?!
-- Mysterious leg healer in Mexico?!
-- Riggins looking for God?
-- Saracen potentially hooking up with the in-home care for his grandmother?!

I stop short of lumping Julie in there along with her stoner boyfriend from college. As much as I want to kick her into next week that story is very believable.

Anybody else feel like they are getting their heart ripped out when they watch Mrs. Coach cry?
... and he's into season 2. Connie Britton is an amazing actress in the role of Mrs. T. Don't fret though, everything you are going to hate about season two is supposedly going to be resolved for season 3.
Old 08-27-08, 06:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I love Mrs Coach.

Damn I miss this show. Can't wait to watch it again this fall.
Old 08-27-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by boogieman03
I love Mrs Coach.

Damn I miss this show. Can't wait to watch it again this fall.
DirectTV subscriber?
Old 08-27-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
... and he's into season 2.
Sad and pathetic, I know. I'm burning through this at an embarrassing rate.
Old 08-27-08, 10:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
DirectTV subscriber?
In a roundabout way...wink wink
Old 08-27-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by boogieman03
in a roundabout way...wink wink
ditto
Old 08-27-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You might want to do us ALL a favor Superman07 and refrain from bumping up the old threads from S2 and just get through the episodes as fast as you can. All the things you mentioned were AGONIZING ENOUGH to go through once.

True be told, S2 wasn't all that horrific once you get over the silly storylines and overall lack of football compared to S1. The acting and writing is still pretty much spot on.

I'm still on the fence as to whether to watch it now on DirecTV or wait until it broadcasts in HD on NBC in January... then again it IS broadcast HD on NBC which leaves much to be desired.