DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Jorja Fox Quitting 'CSI' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/514616-jorja-fox-quitting-csi.html)

benedict 10-16-07 05:27 PM

Jorja Fox Quitting 'CSI'

I just posted this because I remember all the fuss over contracts a few years ago.

Originally Posted by <a href="http://apnews.excite.com/article/20071016/D8SAJ07O0.html" target="_blank" style="text-decoration:none">Excite</a>
Jorja Fox Quitting Role on CBS Hit 'CSI'

NEW YORK (AP) - Jorja Fox is waving goodbye to "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation." Fox, 39, tells EW.com she has quit the Las Vegas-based forensics drama, saying she wants to explore other opportunities.

"There are all these things I want to do," she said in a story posted Monday on the Web site. "Some are personal. Some are professional. And I really need to do some of them before I get too old."

Fox has wrapped up filming on the hit CBS series, and will make her last appearance as Sara Sidle in an episode to air next month, according to the Web site.

CBS publicist Kate Fisher had no comment Tuesday.

Fox's run on "CSI" nearly ended in 2004 when she and co-star George Eads were fired during tense contract negotiations. They were later hired back.

"If I thought the show were on its last legs, I would have tried harder to stay the course," said Fox, whose contract expired in May. "But I feel like it's going to be around for a while, so if I don't want some of those dreams to pass me by, I have to get off the ride for a while."

Fox has been a cast member since "CSI" premiered in 2000

I wonder what these dreams are.

Goldberg74 10-16-07 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by benedict
I just posted this because I remember all the fuss over contracts a few years ago.I wonder what these dreams are.

To be on CSI: Miami. ;)

devilshalo 10-16-07 05:57 PM

Damn.. I didn't know she was 39. :eek:

PopcornTreeCt 10-16-07 06:09 PM

Everyone thinks their George Clooney. I guess her 15 minutes will be up next month.

riley_dude 10-16-07 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Everyone thinks their George Clooney. I guess her 15 minutes will be up next month.

Or Farah or Suzanne Sommers or...

rabbit77 10-16-07 06:26 PM

Hopefully she'll reprise her groundbreaking role in Memento 2: I Know What You Did 5 Seconds Ago.

onebyone 10-16-07 06:27 PM

I miss her already. I mean, she probably has enough money from the years on the show that she's set for life, but still. I like that this show kept the main crew together all these years. Meh.

chino77 10-16-07 06:38 PM

she should look at Rory Cochranes' career.

Deftones 10-16-07 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by chino77
she should look at Rory Cochranes' career.

Means she's slated to guest spot in an episode of CSI in about 4 years.

I think the reason why we haven't seen Rory Cochrane in any TV is b/c he had a 5 year deal on the show, and he had a clause in his contract that said he couldn't appear in any other tv show if he left CSI:Miami.

Vipper II 10-16-07 07:10 PM

Had this happened five seasons ago I would have been pretty upset, because I liked her the first couple of seasons; however, it seems the writers have done everything in their power to make her an unlikable character since then. Let's hope they don't do the same with her replacement. Of course, I'd much prefer Marg Helgenberger to be the one departing, but I guess you have to take what you can get. At least CSI: NY has likable female characters.

TheMovieman 10-16-07 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think the reason why we haven't seen Rory Cochrane in any TV is b/c he had a 5 year deal on the show, and he had a clause in his contract that said he couldn't appear in any other tv show if he left CSI:Miami.

Yeah, I believe so. Dunno if it was a clause in that contract or something added in so that CBS would release him from that contract.

As for Fox, I think she's cute but the character at times comes across as self-righteous. Also, outside of Petersen and maybe Dourdan (and Robert David Hall as well), I think they're expendable and can be replaced without losing much to the series.

DJariya 10-16-07 07:56 PM

According to TV Guide, she quit CSI because there are no plans to end the series anytime soon and I assume she doesn't want to sign another long-term contract.

Deftones 10-16-07 07:57 PM

Yeah, it's a tough life turning down huge TV contracts and residuals for life. :shrug:

DJariya 10-16-07 07:59 PM

Getting at 4 or 5am and working until 6 or 7pm 5 days a week for 10 months sounds like a grueling schedule to me.

clemente 10-16-07 08:01 PM

Its a job...just cause its glamorous and highly visible doesn't mean there aren't people who wake up every morning and say "This shit again?!" like the rest of us.

TGM 10-16-07 08:06 PM

I wonder if the writers knew this before the recently wrapped up storyline for her character... seems like getting killed by a serial killer would have been a good way to go... now, the audience goes through all that shit, just for her to leave?

Vipper II 10-16-07 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I wonder if the writers knew this before the recently wrapped up storyline for her character... seems like getting killed by a serial killer would have been a good way to go... now, the audience goes through all that shit, just for her to leave?

Perhaps that's the reason behind the character's departure.

Michael Corvin 10-16-07 08:12 PM

I'm with Vipper, I would have cared four years ago. Today? Good riddance. Here's hoping for Liz Vassey to step up and take her place. :hump:

Thrush 10-16-07 11:48 PM

Shelly Long and Julianna Margulies come to mind.

Jeremy517 10-16-07 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Getting at 4 or 5am and working until 6 or 7pm 5 days a week for 10 months sounds like a grueling schedule to me.

That sounds like an exaggeration to me.

The way the show is set up, she isn't even in most scenes. They usually have multiple cases, so she isn't even involved in at least half of the scenes for most shows. Even when they are shooting for her particular case, she isn't in every scene. How much time on camera does she actually get in an average episode? Is it even ten minutes?

Mad Dawg 10-17-07 12:02 AM

Of all the cast, this is the only one I won't mind leaving. She can go permanent-frown elsewhere.

DJariya 10-17-07 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
That sounds like an exaggeration to me.

The way the show is set up, she isn't even in most scenes. They usually have multiple cases, so she isn't even involved in at least half of the scenes for most shows. Even when they are shooting for her particular case, she isn't in every scene. How much time on camera does she actually get in an average episode? Is it even ten minutes?

The way most TV shows are set up production-wise, all cast and crew have to be on set by 6 or 7am to start shooting and they usually end up working 15 hour days. But, I think your right she isn't even in every scene, so she may have later call times.

vegasbaby 10-17-07 04:09 AM

Now she can go back to being David Letterman's 'mouth double'.

These lucrative tv gigs are like winning lotto. what a putz.

Mr. Salty 10-17-07 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
These lucrative tv gigs are like winning lotto. what a putz.

Maybe after seven years she has enough money. Good for her leaving on her own terms, rather than wait for the show to outstay its welcome.

Vipper II 10-17-07 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Maybe after seven years she has enough money. Good for her leaving on her own terms, rather than wait for the show to outstay its welcome.

Or maybe, like me and a few others, she's getting sick of how poorly the writers have been treating her character. That "perma-frown" remark that Mad Dawg made was spot on; I know I'd get sick of it.