Reload this Page >

SNL 10/13/07 - H: Jon Bon Jovi / MG: Foo Fighters

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/13/07 - H: Jon Bon Jovi / MG: Foo Fighters

Old 10-14-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Bon Jovi makes me want to retch, but at least he's not the musical guest.
Seemed like he was to me.
Old 10-14-07, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
What songs did JBJ do? And what songs did Foo Fighters do?
Old 10-14-07, 01:42 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
What songs did JBJ do? And what songs did Foo Fighters do?
Bon Jovi (the whole band, not just Jon) did Lost Highway during the monologue and Who Says You Can't Go Home during the credits (introduced by Jack Nicholson, for some strange reason). Neither performance was anything to write home about -- nothing wrong, per se, but they didn't have that energy that makes a live performance so great.

Foo Fighters did The Pretender and they rocked the joint. No second song for Foo Fighters.
Old 10-14-07, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74

Rumors for the 11/17 have Seth Rogen Jr. Jonah Hill as the host.

Well if they're going to have two musical guests like tonight, then they should have two hosts and have both the Superbad kids host together... I think that would be pretty awesome
Old 10-14-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fell asleep after Weekend Update, but what I saw was pretty decent. Definitely the best show of the season so far.

Amy Poehler 1986
I wonder how of what she said actually happened to her as a teen. I got a little worried when JBJ played himself in the very first skit, which is usually the kiss of death, but it was pretty funny. B+

Monologue
Not just a monologue-song but a song-song. Yipes. And fucking moron Richie Sambora can't even get out one line. I know he's not an actor, but jeez. D

Ohhh!
It's true that we Italians make that sound, I'm not sure why. B

Al Gore
Moderately funny with Gore showing off all his awards. The audience didn't seem to think so because they were dead silent for most of it. B-

Digital Short
Punchine people who are about to eat. SO stupid, but I laughed the whole way through. The punchings, the reactions of the witnesses who I'm not sure were aware that something was being filmed, the way Samberg stopped short when Sudeikis didn't take a bite, the look on Samberg's face as he was garrotting Forte, etc. Then some zombies showed up. B+

Dane Cook
And the Dane Cook dogpile continues. Sudeikis was okay, but I think the guy on MadTV did a better impression. B-

Vinny Vedecci
JBJ playing himself for the third time so far on an Italian talk show. Hader is very good here. B-

Weekend Update
No sign of the Foo Fighters before WU?
I liked Rudolph as the cleaning lady brought in to do a few jokes in case of a writers' strike. Then Arisen came in as a political comedian who says nothing and it died. C+

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Iconoclasts
Something about Bjork and Charles Barkley.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JBJ singing again?
Old 10-14-07, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Definitely the best show of the season so far.
Old 10-14-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was so fucking angry last night I had to wait until this morning to post... so they have one of the biggest bands in Rock right now and they fuck them over to let THE HOST's band play TWICE!?!?!?! Why the fuck didn't they just have JBJ be both HOST and MUSICAL GUEST and let the Foo's come on a week when they can play the standard TWO SONGS...

I wouldn't have been so mad if they let BOTH BJ and FF play 2 songs...but for some inexplicable reason, they didn't...instead they treat us to sketches that ran far too long... Oooohhh! - at least a minute too long. Al Gore - 2 minutes too long. Vinny Vedecci - 3 minutes too long. Weekend Update - PAINFULLY long and everytime a 'guest' shows up the segment comes to a screeching halt.

I can understand if a one hit wonder is on and they only get to play their one hit and get the fuck out, but the Foo's easily deserved another song and it's not like the show was 'so good' they couldn't trim anything.

At least the Digital Short was good, but I thought it didn't need the Zombie bit, however the end was funny...and of course, being a foo fan, I loved the 'Double Punched!'
Old 10-14-07, 10:14 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
I agree with the Goose.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ep (when compared with the last two eps).

I'm a big Bon Jovi fan and was pleasantly surprised that they performed twice (even though I would have enjoyed The Foo Fighters performing again too).

I thought that JBJ did a great job as host and even extended himself on a few skits ("Ohhhhhh!" and as the Alien Leader in "The Lost Purse"). The fact that he played himself three times (two past, one present) we're fun, and I enjoyed the cold opening and the monologue (poor Richie).

I was laughing consistently throughout the ep (except for the Iconoclast skit... FAN needs to go).

Once again, Wiig is the best thing about this show (and then Sudekis... the "Dane Cook" stuff was dead on). And Samberg was tolerable.

One side note.. during the "Lost Highway" performance, it looked like Chris Parnell had snuck on stage in a David Bryan wig and started playing the keyboard.

I'd give this ep B+ (since the FF got gipped a song).

Wish Jacck would have been in a skit... that would have been fun.
Old 10-14-07, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Yeah, what the shit was up with the host playing two songs and the musical guest only playing one? Could JBJ's music be any more bland? Also, since when was Pat Smear back with the Foos? Or is it just for this tour?
Old 10-14-07, 11:14 AM
Banned

I agree with the Goose.
I disagree with the Goose.

This episode was painfully bad, as were the the last two.

I'm a big Bon Jovi fan and was pleasantly surprised that they performed twice (even though I would have enjoyed The Foo Fighters performing again too).
I could have done without the second Bon Jovi performance.

I thought that JBJ did a great job as host and even extended himself on a few skits ("Ohhhhhh!" and as the Alien Leader in "The Lost Purse"). The fact that he played himself three times (two past, one present) we're fun, and I enjoyed the cold opening and the monologue (poor Richie).
I thought JBJ sucked as a host. He played himself 3 times, and the only two times he didn't play himself, he sucked. He was really bad in that "Ohhhhh!" and WTF was that alien skit? Not only did he suck, but the skit itself was possibly one of the worst in the history of SNL. Whoever wrote it should be shot.

I was laughing consistently throughout the ep (except for the Iconoclast skit... FAN needs to go).
I didn't laugh once, except for Wiig's Bjork impression during the Iconoclast skit.

Once again, Wiig is the best thing about this show (and then Sudekis... the "Dane Cook" stuff was dead on). And Samberg was tolerable.
The Dane Cook stuff sucked. It was only remotely close and wasn't even remotely funny. Sudekis needs to be off the show.

One side note.. during the "Lost Highway" performance, it looked like Chris Parnell had snuck on stage in a David Bryan wig and started playing the keyboard.
The second JBJ was so annoying, I had to fast foward through it.

I'd give this ep B+ (since the FF got gipped a song).
I'd give this ep an F+. I would have scored it lower, but luckily they broke in to programming twice with an Amber Alert. That was the most entertaining part of the show.
Old 10-14-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
New CD or not, is Bon Jovi still relevant today? People still listen to them?

So the lead singer of an 80's band hosts the show, and winds up playing 2 songs with his band just to promote the new CD. Meanwhile the musical guest who also has a new CD and actually is relevant today only plays 1 song. That is one of the lamest things I've seen on this show - and I've seen a lot. And this is coming from someone who's not even a Foo Fighters fan.
Old 10-14-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lost Highway was #1 on the charts, so probably they are still relevant.
Old 10-14-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll accept Bon Jovi isn't relevant today, but I think you're going to have to prove to me how the Foo Fighters are any more relevant than Bon Jovi is. I outright don't care for the music of Bon Jovi, but they have charted this year just like the Foo Fighters have. Bon Jovi did get its start 11 years before the Foo Fighters, but both bands are long in the tooth with over 10 years recording. In fact, Bon Jovi's recent hits have gone higher on the Hot 100 than those of Foo Fighters.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I don't think you can make a case for Foo Fighters being more popular than Bon Jovi. I do think you can make the point that Foo Fighters were supposed to be the musical guest and they got the shaft last night.
Old 10-14-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with the Goose.

I'm with you and the Goose on this one. Granted, the standard is embarrassingly low, but this was the best episode of the season and better than most from the last few years. That's not saying much, of course, but at least I laughed a few times. Björk and Charles Barkley cracked me up. And I completely understand why people hate Samberg, but I can't help laughing at those stupid "Shorts".

As for Foo Fighters, one would assume that JBJ was originally slated for both host and musical guest (possibly contracted for 2 songs already), but he stepped (or was pushed) aside for FF at the last minute, likely because they couldn't book them for full musical guest duties on another week. Keep in mind, FF are touring Europe the next few months. So while it seems unfair to only get one song, I see it more as being lucky to get a song at all, plus a Digital Short appearance. They could have just had this be a Bon Jovi episode and ignored Foo Fighters at all, which I'm guessing was the original plan.

das
Old 10-14-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bon Jovi has been doing anything to pimp their new CD. They actually did the guest stars helping out the contestants thing on Canadian Idol TWICE in the last few weeks of the competition.
Old 10-14-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Sounds like I didn't miss much. I'm glad I skipped it.
Old 10-14-07, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
I was so fucking angry last night I had to wait until this morning to post... so they have one of the biggest bands in Rock right now and they fuck them over to let THE HOST's band play TWICE!?!?!?! Why the fuck didn't they just have JBJ be both HOST and MUSICAL GUEST and let the Foo's come on a week when they can play the standard TWO SONGS...
I agree completely. At the end, I was hoping maybe they were going to do something where Bon Jovi jammed with the Foos, or Dave Grohl sat in with Bon Jovi, or something to justify the fact that the Foos were the musical guest. I mean, that's really the attraction of a show like SNL -- that you can do something a little different than just playing the hot hit of the moment, and the great SNL musical moments are things like that. Instead, we got Bon Jovi doing a by-the-numbers performance of last year's hit. Whatever.
Old 10-14-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. Definitely a wasted opportunity. It's pretty rare nowadays to get one musical guest on SNL that isn't some one-trick gimmick of limited talent, but last night they had two iconic groups in the studio at the same time. I don't think having Samberg punch both Grohl and JBJ in the face counts as a memorable collaboration.

das
Old 10-14-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Like many before me, I too was scratching my head at the fact the "host" played more music than the MG. Why not just call BJ the "musical host" and book FF on another show with a non-musical host? Or at least have a combined FF/BJ jam to finish the show. That being said, I'll take a BJ over a Kanye West or many of the other "talent" they've booked as MG's anyday. Lastly, enough with the sports hosts who have little or no acting ability. There are just so many better choices out there. Even with the low standard of material that gets on the air, you'd think there would be plenty of talent looking to "hawk" their latest movie or current TV show that would overlook that as a net gain for their career?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-14-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I'll take a BJ over a Kanye West or many of the other "talent" they've booked as MG's anyday.
I bet you'd take a BJ over just about anything.
Old 10-14-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
Lost Highway was #1 on the charts, so probably they are still relevant.
I guess with the crap that hits #1 on the charts nowadays, I can see how Lost Highway made it. I didn't know Bon Jovi was still selling well, but I don't pay much attention to the mainstream music scene.
Old 10-14-07, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Brian Williams? Interesting choice to host SNL.
Old 10-14-07, 07:54 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Brian Williams? Interesting choice to host SNL.
He's been on SNL before...

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&fg=r...956796&from=05

... and is a natural in front of the camera. We'll probably get news reports, presidential debates, and a few leftover "Back To You" sitcom jokes.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-14-07 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-14-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if they're covering their bases with Brian Williams. If the writers strike, perhaps they can get the newswriters to essentially turn it into a 90 minute "news special" somehow.
Old 10-14-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So 3 out of the first 4 episodes this year hosted by a non-actor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.