DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   If I like Office Space, will I like the Office (US)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/514182-if-i-like-office-space-will-i-like-office-us.html)

Lee Harvey Oswald 10-10-07 11:06 PM

If I like Office Space, will I like the Office (US)?

I'm usually against blind buys, but I believe the Office is something that I'd love. I really like the Office Space movie, does the Office have the same feel/type of humor to it?

I'm going to try and catch the new episode this week, but I like starting shows from the beginning. I've never seen any episodes yet.

My family wants my Christmas list and I was thinking about putting this show on there. But like I said I'm against blind buys, but this one seems somewhat safe.

zekeburger1979 10-10-07 11:10 PM

I love both, so I'm going to say yes. If you do put the show on your Christmas list, make sure to put Season 1 and 2 on there, since Season 1 is only 6 episodes and is relatively cheap. Hell, put all three on there! :)

JasonF 10-10-07 11:16 PM

I don't think Office Space is particularly similar to the Office in its sense of humor, but both are brilliant and hilarious.

Ph8te 10-11-07 12:03 AM

While I wouldn't consider both the "same" as far humor goes they are both similar(In genre). I like both, but if you want to get into the Office (TV) then start with season 1 as sometimes the plot lines are continued and you may not get some of the jokes unless you watch the previous episodes.

Ranger 10-11-07 12:14 AM

Office Space is a masterpiece. IMO, The Office is so-so - some episodes are comedy gold, but most just seem boring. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

mikehunt 10-11-07 06:55 AM

I love office space, can't stand the office

starman9000 10-11-07 07:06 AM

Yeah, I like them both, but I wouldn't say that liking one has anything to do with liking the other.

FantasticVSDoom 10-11-07 07:18 AM

Another in the "I like them both, but they are different camp..." I think the Office reminds me a little of Curb your Enthusiasm in so much as the comedy is kind of an "uncomfortable" comedy.

DJLinus 10-11-07 07:48 AM

A little off-topic, but since "The Office" is able to get some big name people to direct episodes (Harold Ramis, Joss Whedon, etc.), I would've figured that there'd be one done by Mike Judge by now. It would be great stunt director casting (if that's even a real term). Or maybe he could just do a cameo or something.

maingon 10-11-07 08:16 AM

while not the same, I would say yes. The office is the best show on tv.

pinata242 10-11-07 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
A little off-topic, but since "The Office" is able to get some big name people to direct episodes (Harold Ramis, Joss Whedon, etc.), I would've figured that there'd be one done by Mike Judge by now. It would be great stunt director casting (if that's even a real term). Or maybe he could just do a cameo or something.

Especially since the first episode ever of The Office (UK) made reference to "Pete Gibbons" leaving the company. Obviously Gervais/Merchant were fans of Office Space and Judge.

Michael Corvin 10-11-07 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Another in the "I like them both, but they are different camp..."

co-signed

GradVT06 10-11-07 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I love office space, can't stand the office

Agree.

Achtung 10-11-07 09:58 AM

Different kinds of comedy, really. Office Space is more about rebelling against the absurdity of the daily grind, whereas The Office is about sitting back, accepting your fate, but trying to laugh your way through it.

nateman 10-11-07 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by GradVT06
Agree.

Agreed, seconded.

firteen88 10-11-07 10:41 AM

Love office space. The office is a totally different type of humor. One I don't really get

rennervision 10-11-07 10:47 AM

I'll go against the grain a bit and say I actually prefer The Office to Office Space. But I think it helps once you are somewhat familair with the characters. First time I watched The Office, I didn't really "get" it. But I gave it a few more tries. Once I became familiar with each character's quirks, the stories became more amusing to me.

Groucho 10-11-07 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus

Considering that Greg Daniels has worked for years with Mike Judge on King of the Hill, and considering all the writers/producers/talent that have worked on both shows -- I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already.

DJLinus 10-11-07 11:37 AM

I completely forgot about the Greg Daniels and KOTH connections. Now Judge's absence is even more of a head-scratcher.

Jimmy James 10-11-07 03:39 PM

Maybe Judge can't guest direct because of whatever deal from hell he has with Fox that meant they were able to hide his most recent film from the viewing public, giving it a release on one screen in Texas or something like that.

Lee Harvey Oswald 10-11-07 08:23 PM

I've watched about 20 mins so far of this weeks show, and
1) Jenna Fischer is hot
2) The shakey camera is a little distracting
3) Jenna Fischer is hot
4) It's pretty good. I'll probably get Season 1 and go from there. So far (it's only 20 mins) and its amusing but not really laugh out loud funny (yet).
5) Jenna Fischer is hot

RichC2 10-11-07 08:25 PM

Season 2 was easily the best.