Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Pushing Daisies -- "Dummy" -- 10/10/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Anybody else annoyed by the incessant voiceover? That's what most dragged down the episode for me ...
I take it you prefer the Stephen Fry version.
Old 10-12-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
The only thing that bugs me about the narration is the need to regurgitate time in the "29 Years, 4 Months, 8 Days, 17 Hours, and 12 Minutes" format. That gets old.
I think it drives the point that every minute of life is valuable. And given he can only bring the dead back from life for a minute without consequences, the main character probably has a decidedly different POV than the rest of us on that kind of thing.

And I realize the narrator isn't telling us just what's in the main character's head...but I think that part of the narration reflects it to a degree.
Old 10-12-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Anybody else annoyed by the incessant voiceover?
Not at all. If you listen closely, there's a cynical undertone to the narration that cuts right through the fanciful surface. That and Chi McBride's classic reaction shots and one-liners.

I loved this episode as much as the pilot. I think as long as the mysteries are interesting and it doesn't get too cute, this one will be a winner.

I think the show has a Tim Buton meets Road Dahl with a dash of "Raising Arizona" - era Coen brothers feel.
Old 10-12-07, 07:50 PM

I don't know who the true resident hottie is - Anna Friel or Kristin Chenoweth. Darn, these are the problems you want to have.

And this is the show I can't wait for each week.
Old 10-13-07, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow. Tons of cleavage this week. Yummy.
Old 10-13-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Liked this episode better than the first and absolutely love the narration... The dog contemplating her love of salt had me rolling. Only complaint was doing the whole song.

I just hope ABC doesn't pull the plug on this quirky, entertaining show that is not only a joy to watch, but also makes you think.
Old 10-13-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read on eonline that the show kept quite a lot of its audience so unless people start bailing now I think we are ok for the time being.
Old 10-13-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
6.6/11 will keep this show on for a good run, but if it keeps losing viewers at this pace, it will be this season's Studio 60.
Which would be really ironic, since the Harriet Hayes character from Studio 60 was based on Kristin Chenowith.
Old 10-14-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Howiefan
As the dog licks her face, Narrator: 'Olive contemplated how much she loved salt'.

LMAO
actually, it said "Digby contemplated how much he loved salt." It's funny because he's the dog, licking the tears.
Old 10-14-07, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
ESPECIALLY when they jumped into the pit with all the crash test dummies in it.
yes, i thought the exact same thing! hmmm, let's see... i can jump into this pit, right next to a girl i'm not supposed to touch. of course i won't stumble and accidentally fall into her. PI guy should have been in the middle.
Old 10-14-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
actually, it said "Digby contemplated how much he loved salt." It's funny because he's the dog, licking the tears.
Yeah that was the line. That and the way the Narrator threw it in at the end made it a very funny line.
Old 10-14-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, i thought the exact same thing! hmmm, let's see... i can jump into this pit, right next to a girl i'm not supposed to touch. of course i won't stumble and accidentally fall into her. PI guy should have been in the middle.
That bugged me too! I thought it seemed much more dangerous than sitting in the front seat.
Old 10-15-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by B.A.
Chenowith looked better this ep w/ the shorter hair.

I don't know if it was me, but did Chuck's cleavage get bigger throughout the ep?
Just watched this today. I love everything about this show.

....except Kristin's short hair.

And...was there a mandate that stated all females must wear low cut blouses? Not that i'm complaining...
Old 10-15-07, 09:13 AM

i have to admit that I rolled my eyes when they started with the musical number. But i thought it was hilarious how things kept interrupting her. they handled it well.
Old 10-15-07, 11:42 AM

i have to admit that I rolled my eyes when they started with the musical number. But i thought it was hilarious how things kept interrupting her. they handled it well.
I rolled my eyes as well & I thought, oh sh*t, not even two episodes in & they’ve “Jumped the Shark”, thankfully it wasn’t a “serious” thing & it was just a setup to people interrupting her. I bet at least someone who was watching, turned it rite off when she started singing & didn’t give it a second to see where it was going.

Anyways, fantastic episode! I don’t think it was better than the pilot but I think it was on par & was just as good. The part where Ned, Chuck & Emerson were in the freezer with all the dead bodies & Ned wakes the black lady up & she screams & Emerson screams as well, that had me rolling. Chi’s facial expression was perfect!

I hope the next episode keeps up with the goodness! I have a feeling that this show will run out of ideas if it makes it too a second season & If it does go for another season, I hope ABC makes the episode order shorter so we don’t get a lot of “filler” episodes. Of course, “filler” episodes might not be a bad thing for Pushing Daisies.
Old 10-15-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Chenoweth, so it is good to see her on TV again. I am guessing that she will end up falling for the janitor guy.
Old 10-16-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-17-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"...counting my money in the bubble bath..."
hand-knit revolver holders
killer crash test dummy
hopelessly devoted
a car with a hand holder glove
hummer vs eco-car