Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How the heck can they...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How the heck can they...

Old 10-09-07, 05:25 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the heck can they...

Okay, I know it is sometimes difficult to come up with original material, but I honestly don't know how some of these "creators"/networks cannot be sued for putting some of this out.

Note - I'm assuming some things, such as cop and hospital shows, are like patents. After a while you put out generic brands without censure.

First: Life if Wild. How is this not Everwood transplanted from Colorado to Africa?!!

Second: Moonlight. Umm...Angel!! I can understand a few aspects, but this is so close it isn't even funny. It's like somebody picked up a carbon copy of Angel pilot/backstory and said, "Hey, I an idea just came to me for a show!" Hell, not only does Sophia Myles look similar to Elizabeth Rohm, but he's a PI to boot!
Old 10-09-07, 08:19 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're just starting to notice this trend?

What? Were you raised on an Amish farm before this year?
Old 10-10-07, 12:09 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 6,457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my money, the second most blatant copy this year (after Moonlight copying both Angel and Forever Knight) is Chuck's Xerox of Jake 2.0. It's sad, really.
Old 10-10-07, 12:09 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David Greenwalt exec produced both Angel and Moonlight, so he kind of ripped himself off.
Old 10-10-07, 12:12 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Southside Virginia
Posts: 6,457
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
David Greenwalt exec produced both Angel and Moonlight, so he kind of ripped himself off.
As I understand it, he wasn't brought in on Moonlight until after the concept was decided on and the show got an order. I think it's more like the folks doing the ripping deciding to put one of the creators of the last version on the payroll hoping he could help them avoid some early show pitfalls. It didn't work out for them, though -- I can't imagine he did much in the month or so it seemed passed between the announcement that he joined and the announcement that he was leaving.
Old 10-10-07, 11:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
You're just starting to notice this trend?

What? Were you raised on an Amish farm before this year?
Hey! The last episode of Cold Case involved Amish people! It was actually good.

I love the generic CBS, ‘get an “In Limbo” over 40, not quite yet past his prime actor, put em’ in a Crime Drama with some goofs as his ‘team’ & one quirky/annoying lab/cpu tech & you’ve got yourself a brand spanking new series!
Old 10-10-07, 12:42 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 561
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
I love the generic CBS, ‘get an “In Limbo” over 40, not quite yet past his prime actor, put em’ in a Crime Drama with some goofs as his ‘team’ & one quirky/annoying lab/cpu tech & you’ve got yourself a brand spanking new series!
Hmmm...Let's see now...

Harmon+team+Abbey=NCIS
Patinkin+team+Garcia=CriminalMinds
Petersen+team+Hodges=CSI

I think nateman241 is on to something!
Old 10-10-07, 12:45 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sophia Myles is on Moonlight? I might have to give that show a shot.
Old 10-10-07, 01:05 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,361
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Sophia Myles is on Moonlight? I might have to give that show a shot.
Glad I could be of service.
Old 10-10-07, 02:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,970
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, and what about Bionic Woman? That's just like...umm...Bionic Woman!
Old 10-10-07, 04:28 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Lone Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 668
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Journeyman is Quantam Leap without the body leaping. And there's no Al.
Old 10-10-07, 06:22 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 616
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Moonlight. Umm...Angel!! I can understand a few aspects, but this is so close it isn't even funny. It's like somebody picked up a carbon copy of Angel pilot/backstory and said, "Hey, I an idea just came to me for a show!" Hell, not only does Sophia Myles look similar to Elizabeth Rohm, but he's a PI to boot!
At least Moonlight hasn't stolen David Boreanaz's face like Bill English has in Cavemen.
Old 10-11-07, 11:07 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Posts: 4,813
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Hmmm...Let's see now...

Harmon+team+Abbey=NCIS
Patinkin+team+Garcia=CriminalMinds
Petersen+team+Hodges=CSI

I think nateman241 is on to something!


Where’s my EMMY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.