DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How the heck can they... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/514061-how-heck-can-they.html)

Superman07 10-09-07 04:25 PM

How the heck can they...

Okay, I know it is sometimes difficult to come up with original material, but I honestly don't know how some of these "creators"/networks cannot be sued for putting some of this out.

Note - I'm assuming some things, such as cop and hospital shows, are like patents. After a while you put out generic brands without censure.

First: Life if Wild. How is this not Everwood transplanted from Colorado to Africa?!!

Second: Moonlight. Umm...Angel!! I can understand a few aspects, but this is so close it isn't even funny. It's like somebody picked up a carbon copy of Angel pilot/backstory and said, "Hey, I an idea just came to me for a show!" Hell, not only does Sophia Myles look similar to Elizabeth Rohm, but he's a PI to boot!

calhoun07 10-09-07 07:19 PM

You're just starting to notice this trend?

What? Were you raised on an Amish farm before this year?

Jimmy James 10-09-07 11:09 PM

For my money, the second most blatant copy this year (after Moonlight copying both Angel and Forever Knight) is Chuck's Xerox of Jake 2.0. It's sad, really.

dvd182 10-09-07 11:09 PM

David Greenwalt exec produced both Angel and Moonlight, so he kind of ripped himself off.

Jimmy James 10-09-07 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by dvd182
David Greenwalt exec produced both Angel and Moonlight, so he kind of ripped himself off.

As I understand it, he wasn't brought in on Moonlight until after the concept was decided on and the show got an order. I think it's more like the folks doing the ripping deciding to put one of the creators of the last version on the payroll hoping he could help them avoid some early show pitfalls. It didn't work out for them, though -- I can't imagine he did much in the month or so it seemed passed between the announcement that he joined and the announcement that he was leaving.

nateman 10-10-07 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
You're just starting to notice this trend?

What? Were you raised on an Amish farm before this year?

Hey! The last episode of Cold Case involved Amish people! It was actually good.

I love the generic CBS, ‘get an “In Limbo” over 40, not quite yet past his prime actor, put em’ in a Crime Drama with some goofs as his ‘team’ & one quirky/annoying lab/cpu tech & you’ve got yourself a brand spanking new series!

jonnyquest 10-10-07 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I love the generic CBS, ‘get an “In Limbo” over 40, not quite yet past his prime actor, put em’ in a Crime Drama with some goofs as his ‘team’ & one quirky/annoying lab/cpu tech & you’ve got yourself a brand spanking new series!

Hmmm...Let's see now...

Harmon+team+Abbey=NCIS
Patinkin+team+Garcia=CriminalMinds
Petersen+team+Hodges=CSI

I think nateman241 is on to something!

Groucho 10-10-07 11:45 AM

Sophia Myles is on Moonlight? I might have to give that show a shot.

Superman07 10-10-07 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Sophia Myles is on Moonlight? I might have to give that show a shot.

Glad I could be of service. ;)

Shannon Nutt 10-10-07 01:41 PM

Yeah, and what about Bionic Woman? That's just like...umm...Bionic Woman! :)

Lone Wolf 10-10-07 03:28 PM

Journeyman is Quantam Leap without the body leaping. And there's no Al.

MechanicalMan 10-10-07 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Moonlight. Umm...Angel!! I can understand a few aspects, but this is so close it isn't even funny. It's like somebody picked up a carbon copy of Angel pilot/backstory and said, "Hey, I an idea just came to me for a show!" Hell, not only does Sophia Myles look similar to Elizabeth Rohm, but he's a PI to boot!

At least Moonlight hasn't stolen David Boreanaz's face like Bill English has in Cavemen.

nateman 10-11-07 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Hmmm...Let's see now...

Harmon+team+Abbey=NCIS
Patinkin+team+Garcia=CriminalMinds
Petersen+team+Hodges=CSI

I think nateman241 is on to something!

:lol:

Where’s my EMMY!