DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Overexposed? Deal or No Deal will air in syndication 5 days a week in addition to NBC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/513945-overexposed-deal-no-deal-will-air-syndication-5-days-week-addition-nbc.html)

DJariya 10-08-07 01:03 PM

Overexposed? Deal or No Deal will air in syndication 5 days a week in addition to NBC

Good Lord! Now we get the God Damn brief case show 5 days a week in addition to 3 nights a week on NBC!!

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...osed/800023949

NBC Universal has cleared for next fall a syndicated weekday version of Deal or No Deal, with Howie Mandel on board to perform double duty as host. Tweaks to the half-hour daytime edition include a $250,000 prize cap and faster-paced, self-contained episodes. Asked about the possibility of Millionaire-esque ubiquity, the president of NBC Universal Domestic Television Distribution tells the Reporter, "We waited... to make sure the show was going to hold up, and it clearly has. [So] there's really no fear about overexposure." 'Cept when it comes to the models' skimpy dresses.

Timber 10-08-07 01:12 PM

Way overexposed. I could see with a different host but to bring Howie in for daytime as well? What do I know though, I'm don't watch so I'm not the audience they're going after. I wish they would bring back the daytime game show and get rid of a couple of court shows.

bigjim25 10-08-07 01:20 PM

NO DEAL!!!

DVD Josh 10-08-07 02:00 PM

Howie Mandel's OCD just made him regrow his hair.

Groucho 10-08-07 02:03 PM

I think the death knell was rung for this show when Pushing Daisies beat it in the ratings last week.

Deftones 10-08-07 02:13 PM

Pretty much doing what they did for Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

calhoun07 10-08-07 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Pretty much doing what they did for Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

But didn't they air Millionaire like five times a night? That's what killed it in prime time ratings. Fox has been smart with 5th Grader, leaving it on only one night out of the week (sometimes two nights for filler, but not as a regular thing, AFAIK).

And the daily Millionaire is still on, isn't it? Or are they simply still showing reruns from last season?

I'd be all for the daily DOND if I could go on there to win some cash. And I hope they don't have the three people off to the side. They say they are going to make the show quicker, and that would speed things up to not have the person stand there for ten minutes trying to decide to open case 5 or case 22 as they argue back and forth with the three people supporting them. I really hate that part of the show.

Tracer Bullet 10-08-07 02:27 PM

I really don't get the attraction of this show. Most game shows are repetitive, but this one repeats exactly the same thing every single episode.

jonnyquest 10-08-07 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I really don't get the attraction of this show.

Same here. The game itself is about dumb luck and psychology and greed. Which I'm sure is exciting for the players, but offers no entertainment value to me in the home audience. Best I can figure, the TV audience tunes in to see Howie and the little dresses.

My favorite primetime gameshow is Power of Ten. Easy to play along with. Not dependent on trivia or book knowledge. Not based on luck, but lucky breaks can and do sometimes occur. No contrived suspense. No gimmicky "helps". And it moves quickly. Drew Carey is the host, but his personality is not infused into the feel of the show. It would be equally entertaining with an unknown host, but I think the celebrity host has become a requirement for gameshows.

Red Dog 10-08-07 05:19 PM

It's a tremendously stupid show, so I can see its appeal to the carbon blobs.

Do they get less attractive models for the syndicated version?

Red Dog 10-08-07 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyquest
Same here. The game itself is about dumb luck and psychology and greed. Which I'm sure is exciting for the players, but offers no entertainment value to me in the home audience. Best I can figure, the TV audience tunes in to see Howie and the little dresses.

My favorite primetime gameshow is Power of Ten. Easy to play along with. Not dependent on trivia or book knowledge. Not based on luck, but lucky breaks can and do sometimes occur. No contrived suspense. No gimmicky "helps". And it moves quickly. Drew Carey is the host, but his personality is not infused into the feel of the show. It would be equally entertaining with an unknown host, but I think the celebrity host has become a requirement for gameshows.

I watched that once and it wasn't bad. Reminded me of the old Card Sharks questions.

One problem I had with that and DOND is the likelihood that someone will risk going for, let alone win, the top prize offered - it is extremely remote. I can't see someone who has gotten to $1M on Power of Ten going for the $10M prize. Has anyone on DOND ever won the million or gone for the million when down to 2 suitcases? I would assume they would certainly take the bank offer before doing that except in the unlikely possibility that the 2 cases left were the 2 top prizes.

At least with Millionaire, since it was based on knowledge, you know that someone can get to the top prize.

jonnyquest 10-08-07 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I can't see someone who has gotten to $1M on Power of Ten going for the $10M prize. Has anyone on DOND ever won the million or gone for the million when down to 2 suitcases? I would assume they would certainly take the bank offer before doing that except in the unlikely possibility that the 2 cases left were the 2 top prizes.

On Power of Ten, the window of accuracy shrinks with each successive question, from 40% at the $1K question to 10% at the $1M question. If you miss, your winnings are reduced to the next lower tier. Example: if you make it through $100K and bomb the next ($1M) question, you go home with $10K. But you can choose to "walk away" with the $100K, even after seeing and pondering the $1M question. There is no $10M question. You win $10M by getting the exact answer on the $1M question (no window for error). So, theoretically you have a 1 in 10 chance of getting it right ($10M winnings) and a 9 in 10 chance of getting it wrong ($100K winnings). I saw a guy win $1M and he didn't even consider going for $10M. The calculation is simple; only a fool would go for the $10M. I can't see anyone ever attempting the $10M, much less actually winning it. I have seen several players get through $100K only to miss the $1M question, ending up with $10K.

I haven't watched enough DOND to see how players behave at the late stages of the game, or to know what amounts are being won. But as irrational as the players seem to be, I can easily imagine that some players, down to the last 2 cases, will go for the $1M and refuse all bank offers.

7Keys 10-08-07 08:44 PM

I watched a little bit of this show while waiting for Heroes to come on last season. I didn't really understand it. Just seemed like dumb luck. I didn't like it at all.

Game show contestants have become very annoying in recent years, put the ones on this show take the cake.

I hope it does become overexposed and dies out like Millionaire did. I still like Millionaire and catch it on the rare occassion I'm home during the day. But it got to the point where it was overkill.

nateman 10-09-07 06:46 AM

I’ve never understood the appeal of Deal or No Deal myself.

I mean, its dumb luck & the audience at home can’t really participate in any way, other than yelling & the TV screen saying, “Pick number 6!”, than picks number 5 and losing, followed by a, “Stupid Bitch!”; I told you so.

When Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? was a huge it, I loved it. At least you could participate in the show & try to answer the questions yourself. I loved the Primetime, Regis version. The daily syndication version with Meredith Vieira isn’t very good. I don’t know what it is about Vieira, but I don’t like her.

Charlie Goose 10-09-07 07:49 AM

In MY day, game show contestants said hello to everyone, gave us their name, hometown, and family info, and then shut the hell up and played the game. We didn't have to watch unbelievably annoying people stretch their TV time. I just want to watch the game being played, I don't have to meet your fucking husband and cousins too.

boredsilly 10-09-07 07:54 AM

Yeah, I agree with you <b>nateman</b>. Deal's success makes absolutely no sense to me. Like you and others have said, you can't play at home and waiting for someone to pick a case is pretty boring.

Millionare was great for a while. Even it's psuedo-sassy sister show Weakest Link.

calhoun07 10-09-07 06:42 PM

I call DOND entertainment for the uneducated and easy to please. It really is the most mindless show on TV.

nateman 10-10-07 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I call DOND entertainment for the uneducated and easy to please. It really is the most mindless show on TV.

Apparently you’ve never heard of American Idol.

atari2600 10-10-07 11:31 AM

the only thing good about DOND is the spoof we got on family guy (star wars epsiode).

how do people "feel" a certain case anyways?

"im feeling number 17 howie! number 17!!!"

(similar to that godawful game show with whats his face...it was called set for life where they pick pods out of the ground...wtf?)