Old 10-08-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Journeyman--"Game 3"--10/8/07

Tonight's episode looks pretty good.

Originally aired: 10/8/07

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Dan is transported back 18 years to warn San Francisco of a looming disaster and prevent a man from entering a life of addiction. In the present, Katie learns Dan has been in contact with Livia, despite his claims to the contrary.
Old 10-08-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Bump....before it falls to page 2.
Old 10-08-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opening was very intriguing.

Doug
Old 10-08-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, his wife is a nosey one.
Old 10-09-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved the first two episodes, but not this one so much. I can't place my finger on why exactly, but it just didn't grab me.

I like these nods to Dan's fucked up past. I just hope they do something with that. The traveling ex-fiancee is starting to get on my nerves a bit. Is there a reason she's being so mysterious?
Old 10-09-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Decent episode.

Question. When Dan asked one of his editors if they knew a allen pratt, and he said..yeah..he killed himself in 1989.

Now when he saved him....Does it mean Dan and the editor never had that conversation?

Also. Who the hell is the script editor? He busted his watch...then leaped back to the present..then he leaped back to 1989 again..and his watch was fine..then when he was talking to Moon, he said his watch was busted.

Its like..dude your watch was fixed.
Old 10-09-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

good episode. But I don't quite get why he had to go back. Allen Pratt was not a likeable character. I could care less if he died in the quake.

I was also hoping that him and his old fiance would be working together when they went back in time.. I still have no idea why she is there with him

I was hoping that he saved the sister, then when he leaped into the future - he would have a different boss - (ala. since his sister never died he continued to drink with his buddies and never became motivated to start his carer).
Old 10-09-07, 11:20 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

The lack of logic on this show is starting to annoy me. Someone can't die ... and then not die. And you certainly can't be in two places at once. Try it sometime and you'll see what I mean. It's just not fun if you throw all basic science out the window,
Old 10-09-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the basic premise of time travel isn't too much for you, it's the fact that you can't time travel and then change the past?
Old 10-09-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did they say that his "dead" girlfriend actually had her body recovered from the wreckage? I'm thinking that she probably "time shifted" when her plane was crashing and now she has no choice but to pretend she's dead, since her surviving would be almost impossible...or maybe she is stuck time shifting forever, helping out others. Something along those lines. I didn't see the 2nd episode, so I don't know if she mentioned anything about actually being dead.

Maybe this isn't at all where it's going, but I kept thinking this when watching last night.

Last edited by Seantn; 10-09-07 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrE
The lack of logic on this show is starting to annoy me. Someone can't die ... and then not die. And you certainly can't be in two places at once. Try it sometime and you'll see what I mean. It's just not fun if you throw all basic science out the window,
According to quantum physics, you can be in two places at once.
Old 10-09-07, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Seantn
Did they say that his "dead" girlfriend actually had her body recovered from the wreckage?
No, he actually said that they never found her body after the crash.
Old 10-09-07, 11:11 PM

I just hope they continue to have some sort of compelling story arc, and not just a "go back in time and do a good deed" every week.

I also hope this doesn't turn into that terrible show where the guy found the next day's paper at the start of every show.
Old 10-09-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
good episode. But I don't quite get why he had to go back. Allen Pratt was not a likeable character. I could care less if he died in the quake.
Going by the logic of the show, it seems like he goes back to "save" someone, so that that person can go on and make a change for someone else. A loose version of pay it forward. So by "saving" the lawyer, he got to go and save all of those wrongfully convicted people. So far, the person he thought he was meant to save, had some inadvertent beneficial effect on someone else.
Old 10-10-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Question. When Dan asked one of his editors if they knew a allen pratt, and he said..yeah..he killed himself in 1989.

Now when he saved him....Does it mean Dan and the editor never had that conversation?
Not impossible. If Pratt became famous enough, Dan would have known about him when he asked that question. Truth be told, they haven't been following up on the repercussions of Dan's "past tinkering" so well. I imagine that will come up eventually when someone closer to Dan gets affected.

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I was also hoping that him and his old fiance would be working together when they went back in time.. I still have no idea why she is there with him
Is it possible that whatever is bringing him to various points in time to "change" things is actually using Livia to change how DAN is making the changes?

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
I also hope this doesn't turn into that terrible show where the guy found the next day's paper at the start of every show.
You mean Early Edition?

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-10-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-10-07, 11:50 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
But can you be in the same place at the same time?

And where's the "butterfly effect"? He should be screwing up the present each time he changes the past (even though it should be immutable), but so far that hasn't happened.
Old 10-10-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MrE
And where's the "butterfly effect"? He should be screwing up the present each time he changes the past (even though it should be immutable), but so far that hasn't happened.
That's what I'm saying. He has not been pulled back into a scenario where people in his life are directly effected (notice that his editor's sister's fate remained the same). I expect we will see something else happen if Dan is directly related to a change... I wouldn't expect that to happen until sweeps (if this show makes it that far).
Old 10-10-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trigger
Quantum Mechanics says nothing of the kind.

QM gives the PROBABILITY of a particle's position as a wave function; as such, multiple positions will have non-zero probabilities. This leads to "spooky" effects such as a particle's position being indeterminate (or being in a superposition of possible positions) until an observation is made. At that point, the wave function "collapses" and the particle is located in only one definitive position. Thus, for all intents and purposes, the particle in our observable reality will always be in only one place. However, this place might be in unexpected and unintuitive areas -- look up quantum tunneling if you're interested.

In addition, quantum mechanics only applies at sub-atomic scales and totally breaks down at the macroscopic level. So you can't apply QM laws (like an object being in a superposition of states) to macroscopic objects such as people (or cats if you're a Schrodinger fan) . Relativity takes over once you rise to the macroscopic level and Einstein does not play these "spooky" games.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know but what the hell...
Old 10-10-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can suspend disbelief more than most of you and I'm still enjoying this show...some of it is melodramatic but it's a fun ride. Another decent ep.
Old 10-10-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the show. Ashame it keeps slipping each week in the ratings.
Maybe it is too difficult for the average viewer to get?
Old 10-11-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riley_dude
What's difficult to get? It's not complicated. He travels through time to do good deeds for strangers in San Francisco during some time in his life. This episode was the perfect example of why it's not going to last. He wants to save people from the earthquake and instead all he can do is save a gambling addict from blowing his brains out. Why should anyone care?
Old 10-11-07, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrE
But can you be in the same place at the same time?

That is one thing that is missing form the show. He's directly changing the past, but it seems like his efforts in the past happen in a bubble.
Old 10-11-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude

Simplistic would be more accurate. It's already "slipped" into a formula (go back and make some changes but the purpose of the visit is not what he thinks it is, and meanwhile his time-travelling ex-girlfriend is there while back in his own time zone his wife gets confused and his boss gets pissed off.)

It's not the worst of the new shows by a long shot, but so far there's been nothing compelling or original about it.
Old 10-11-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Roto
What's difficult to get? It's not complicated. He travels through time to do good deeds for strangers in San Francisco during some time in his life. This episode was the perfect example of why it's not going to last. He wants to save people from the earthquake and instead all he can do is save a gambling addict from blowing his brains out. Why should anyone care?
Well, the guy he saved went on to do GREAT THINGS and help a LOT OF PEOPLE. It's showing that certain things in the past CAN be changed, but others, no matter what your intention, can not be changed... I like that idea.
Old 10-11-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand that mdc, but I can still get Roto's point. The guy is making these changes but the only results we see are old newspaper headlines about the good they eventually did. Logically there is a payoff but dramatically it falls very flat. This week was a little better with the video footage, but they still need to do more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.