DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   House - "The Right Stuff" - 10/02/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/513422-house-right-stuff-10-02-07-a.html)

MrX 10-02-07 10:52 AM

House - "The Right Stuff" - 10/02/07

"The Right Stuff"
Spoiler:
House is interviewing potential team members and is doing it his own way. He has called in all 40 applicants for the open spots on his team, each numbered individually by runners' bibs, and puts them to the test in a Darwinian trial period. Greta, a candidate for NASA's astronaut training program, suffers from a neurological disorder in which she is converting visual images to sound, or hearing with her eyes. Knowing that NASA would reject any possibility of her becoming an astronaut if they knew of her problem, she begs House to treat her in secret. Keeping her identity private, House takes the case to his fellowship candidates and pits them against one another to come up with an accurate diagnosis. Meanwhile, House is ruffled when he thinks he sees Cameron, Chase and Foreman in the hospital hallways.

Patman 10-02-07 09:06 PM

Loved the episode, just fun stuff with the whittling down the room full of candidates for House's next team, plus the re-appearance of Chase, Foreman and Cameron that drove House to distraction.

While I noticed the 2001 nod rather easily, thought that letting it represent what someone was hearing through their eyes was kinda neat.

MrX 10-02-07 09:18 PM

Olivia Wilde:drool:

Wilson's reaction to whenever House saw one of the three was great:lol:

magiccmom 10-02-07 09:19 PM

Really enjoyed this episode so much better than the premiere. Kinda makes me wish House would always teach students, I love the interaction. So I guess the gorgeous #13 is gonna make it, and number 9 (6). Thought the other young good looking guy would too, but too bad he was fired. House is back, baby!

Patman 10-02-07 09:24 PM

I'm digging the spark between #13 and House as well. #6/#9's speech delivery is so stilted at times, not my favorite actor for this type of role.

das Monkey 10-02-07 11:57 PM

Gee, the known actors are sticking around. What a shock. :) It's like any procedural show: the biggest guest star always did it.

I like the new direction. Lots of fun. Chase and Cameron were just as boring in short use as they always were, so new blood of any kind is great. Wonderful work from Carmen Argenziano. I met him a few years back, and he was awesome. Good to see him finding some high profile work. And you can never go wrong with Kumar. Anne Dudek was too annoying. I know they want her that way, but I'm not thrilled about seeing her stick around. She's not as interesting without little people tattooed on her thighs. Hopefully they drop her.

The <i>2001</i> nod got me psyched for the upcoming HD releases.

das

superdeluxe 10-03-07 12:04 AM

I like house keeping the old guy around to pitch ideas/help, but not as a doctor. Kumar, plastic surgeon guy, 13, and the black mormon guy look like favorites to be kept around..as well as the anne dudek girl

skatefan20 10-03-07 12:37 AM

I was skeptical of the show bringing in new blood prior to the start of the season, but the writers/producers again find a cunning way to keep it fresh. Definitely lots of fun here with this concept of eliminating potential candidates!!

:lol: House telling blond Cameron she looks like a hooker.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Hugh Laurie

superdeluxe 10-03-07 12:47 AM

After this episode I think the 3 new folks will be:

Mormon guy, Kumar, and 13.

And old dude as assistant.

Superman07 10-03-07 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe

I'm good with that, although I'm not keen on Kumar. I feel like he's delivering his lines the same exact way he did in 24. And I'm going to guess Whitecastle as well, but I haven't seen that.

I don't think I could take him on a regular basis, but the plastic surgeon may not be a bad choice.

Snowmaker 10-03-07 07:02 AM

This episode was so busy and scattered, I can't even remember what the bitchy pilot was diagnosed with.

FOX (or whoever is responsible) needs to quit sticking Kumar in serious roles.

And why did it say "Tesla was Robbed" on the chalkboard?

Charlie Goose 10-03-07 07:29 AM

Okay, once again I fell asleep halfway through. Stupid comfortable couch, I'm like an infant. Why I don't start recording as I watch is a mystery.

Does USA still show the rerun a week later?
Did they save the pilot? (duh)
Did Chase, Cameron, or Foreman make an appearance aside from House's visions?

Giantrobo 10-03-07 08:11 AM

I thought it was pretty funny. House is such a lovable Bastard. :lol:

firteen88 10-03-07 09:22 AM

Thought the episode was great except for the pilot. SHe was just an annoying bitch. This episode could have done without an actual patient.

fumanstan 10-03-07 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Okay, once again I fell asleep halfway through. Stupid comfortable couch, I'm like an infant. Why I don't start recording as I watch is a mystery.

Does USA still show the rerun a week later?
Did they save the pilot? (duh)
Did Chase, Cameron, or Foreman make an appearance aside from House's visions?

Not sure, someone said that they do in last week's thread.
Yes.
Chase and Cameron, yes.

Loved this episode and the weeding out of characters. I think the best thing I saw was that the show actually gave some screen time to some of the doctors that ended up getting fired by House, which mixed things up a bit as I thought that the foreign chick and the guy that broke in to the house were going to last longer.

Loved the way Kumar got back into the running :up:

CPA-ESQ. 10-03-07 09:49 AM

I agree Jada Pinkett Smith really dragged the show down.

I hope we get a couple of more episodes of the "students"
I like the old guy who is now House's Assistant.

Every time I see Kumar all I can think about is that he is going to raid the medical marijuana stash in the hospital

mphtrilogy 10-03-07 09:53 AM

There were a ton of recognizable characters in the tryouts.

Solid Ep from the always reliable House

Shazam 10-03-07 02:20 PM

"I discovered salt and invented FM radio."

Christ, this episode was fantastic.

twikoff 10-03-07 02:44 PM

kickass episode :up:
so many great lines packed into a one hour show.. house continues to deliver

twikoff 10-03-07 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
And why did it say "Tesla was Robbed" on the chalkboard?

edison gets credit for alot of tesla's inventions
i think this is covered more in the medical field, so doctors probably got it better than the rest of us.

and no, it didnt have to do with long haired freaky people

twikoff 10-03-07 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe

i dont see any way that the chick is leaving.. not the tattle tell, but the one with all the answers..
i figure the old dude assistant is their way of getting us 4 new characters.. with one that could possibly hang out longer than a residency

EDIT: Duh! I missed the part where you said 'and 13', and probably was confused when you said '3 new folks'.. cause that equals 4 :D

superdeluxe 10-03-07 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
i dont see any way that the chick is leaving.. not the tattle tell, but the one with all the answers..
i figure the old dude assistant is their way of getting us 4 new characters.. with one that could possibly hang out longer than a residency

EDIT: Duh! I missed the part where you said 'and 13', and probably was confused when you said '3 new folks'.. cause that equals 4 :D

Hah yeah, 4 total new people..but only 3 new 'ducklings' to replace the former trio.

At the Fox site they had mini bio's and their respective specialties.

#6/9: rehabilitative and sports medicine
#13: internal medicine
#15A and #15B: pediatric endriconology (yes, both of them). Identical twins.
#18: genetics, the "I'm washing this car" man, LDS background
#24: Interventional radiologist (the hypercompetitive car wash woman)
#26: Scooter, no specialty because no medical degree. "encyclopedia {theoretical} knowledge and life experience"
#32: veterinary medicine (and, yeah, I don't see how PPTH can hire her for a fellow position, either)
#37: epidemeology
#39: plastic surgeon. "Left a rich and successful cosmetic surgery practice for an unknown reason"

http://www.fox.com/house/

Interesting about 6/9 is he thinks house is not crazy enough in some forms of treatment. Interesting.

twikoff 10-03-07 03:16 PM

ok.. who all is cheering for #24
Amber Volakis

".....and that girl has been pointing at you since i walked into the room" :lol:

superdeluxe 10-03-07 04:13 PM

It looks like one of the 'resident' spots might have been filled.

Spoiler:

House has a new team member: Kal Penn (Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle) has joined the cast of the popular Fox show as a series regular. He plays Lawrence Kutner, a young doctor who comes up with unorthodox ways to diagnose patients. Penn debuted Oct. 2 on the drama as No. 6, one of many doctors vying for a coveted spot on House's exclusive team. Kutner caught House's attention in the episode by resuscitating a patient and suggesting that they get her drunk to better diagnose her rare neurological condition. "Lawrence is a fan of trying random methods of exploration and life saving, and isn't afraid to break the rules a little bit," Penn tells EW exclusively. The actor, who last appeared on Fox last season as Ahmed Amar in 24, said he already feels at home on the hit drama. "When you start out on a show, nerves can run high, but with House, everyone was so welcoming, I felt like part of the family," says Penn. "Psyched does not even begin to describe it. Awesomeness and thankfulness probably." Penn is also set to appear in Harold & Kumar 2 next year.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/...nn-to-joi.html

Timber 10-03-07 04:23 PM

I haven't really been keeping up with the behind the scenes stuff but I think we know they're keeping the original 3 around right? If so will they just be playing minor hospital roles or roles like Wilson? I always assumed they would be back working with House but know that they appear to be hiring a new staff the cast could get quite cumbersome.