Journeyman--"Friendly Skies"--10/1/07

Old 10-01-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Journeyman--"Friendly Skies"--10/1/07

More time traveling chaos.

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Dan gets an MRI after doubting his time trips, but then he vanishes from a flight with Katie and finds himself in charge of delivering a baby.
Old 10-01-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I'm going to have to move this show down from "live" viewing priority to something to catch via time-shifting because I'm just not all that impressed by the "Touched by a time-traveling Angel" angle of this show. I'm not even all that interested as to why his former fiancee keeps showing up in his visits to the past.
Old 10-01-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
I liked it, will stick with it for a while.
Old 10-01-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought this one was better than the pilot and I'm sticking with it. I hope the ratings are good.
Old 10-02-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not great TV but I'm really enjoying it, and I agree that this episode was better than the pilot. I'll keep watching until it's canceled in a few weeks.
Old 10-02-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surprised to hear people not digging this show much. Maybe it's just that I find time travel related stuff to be extra fascinating. I think this one is pretty good and I'm gonna keep watching. If Chuck outlasts this, I'll be shocked... and very disappointed. I think if they flesh out the characters more, people will stay tuned.
Old 10-02-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trigger
I'm surprised to hear people not digging this show much. Maybe it's just that I find time travel related stuff to be extra fascinating. I think this one is pretty good and I'm gonna keep watching. If Chuck outlasts this, I'll be shocked... and very disappointed. I think if they flesh out the characters more, people will stay tuned.
I am surprised people aren't digging this more also. Its really well done, good performances and...it has time travel which I am a sucker for.
Old 10-02-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I love time time travel stuff but here are my suggestions:

1) The family problems have got to go - Time travel only, no one cares about a bitching wife "where were you?" "you missed your kid's _______ , he needs a father and I need a husband!"

2) Either he works or not - ok we get it... "You missed your deadline AGAIN!" let the guy come back from his time travels and write a story about the family or people he helped out.

That way we can get "You have been gone for 3 days, you missed your deadline 4 times this month. I would fire you ... but this dammn story is so good. You just bought yourself another week."
Old 10-02-07, 11:09 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember that party time on flights during the 70s. Except for the smoking ... and the food, they were a lot like now.

I like the show but the coincidences are hard to take ... unless they come up with a reasonable explanation as to why he always put in the right place at the right time. That's what annoys me the most.
Old 10-02-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really like this show. Sure there are some quirks to work out, but over all this is a slick show. There is kind of a Six Degrees vibe that may turn some people off. Its also kind of tricky keeping everything straight.

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
1) The family problems have got to go - Time travel only, no one cares about a bitching wife "where were you?" "you missed your kid's _______ , he needs a father and I need a husband!"
Noooo The family grounds him in the present. Absolutely necessary or you end up with an episodic floating through time show. I want more arc, not less.

I agree with your second point. I thought he would have been fired by now, but maybe they will resolve that with some time travel duct tape.
Old 10-02-07, 11:40 AM

Two points that are still really bothering me.

-The ex that is dead is apparently also jumping through time. Why doesn't he ask her more questions as to why this is happening?

-He knows that he jumps, then why does he do stupid things like get on planes or not bring correct money with him? It seems like he doesn't think of the possible consequences of what happens when he jumps. He does think of some things like the phone and pulling the car over before he jumps. Speaking of the phone, when he uses it in the past, won't those calls come on his bill to his past self?
Old 10-02-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's an annoying show if you think about it for a few minutes, thus, my disinterest in it for now.
Old 10-02-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah they'll be on the bill to his past self...but his past self probably won't examine the bill...and he didn't yet have to time to get old cash when that incident happened...finding old bills can sometimes be a pain in the ass....
Old 10-02-07, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
yeah they'll be on the bill to his past self...but his past self probably won't examine the bill.......
In 1992 you better dammmn well check your bill! If I remember correctly, they didn't have free "in" calling nights and weekends and 700 free anytime minutes.

Most people didn't have cell phones - and those that did had them for "emergencies" and didn't leave them on all the time.

Better advice for him would be to always cary a sh!t load of dimes.
Old 10-02-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is his phone still an Iphone? I still don't understand why that would even work in the past. Considering it's GSM. Well, whatever.
Old 10-02-07, 01:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

still cant figure out why he wouldnt just buy some hot stock in the past and reap the rewards in the present.
Old 10-02-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Is his phone still an Iphone? I still don't understand why that would even work in the past. Considering it's GSM. Well, whatever.
Actually, in the pilot, his phone was a combination iPhone/Motorola Q. In a sequence that took place outside a building (his house?), he showed the driver of the car (his brother?) a video.

First, he held up the phone, displaying that it was in fact a Motorola Q. Then, he turned it sideways, and it turned into an iPhone, displaying full-screen video.

There were a few other instances in which the back was a Q, but the front was an iPhone.
Old 10-02-07, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by derekjet
still cant figure out why he wouldnt just buy some hot stock in the past and reap the rewards in the present.
Not to mention the IRS penalties for failure to pay taxes on unrealized income, dividends or realized distributions over that period.

Hey if it is a lot of money - they may be able to merge this show with Prison Break
Old 10-02-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I REALLY liked this episode compared to the pilot. I feel like it's got holes, but they're clearly trying to address them slowly. I'll keep watching.
Old 10-02-07, 10:56 PM

I hope his jumps become more varied than just 10-30 years in the past, always in the same city.
Old 10-03-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TeamAnS
-The ex that is dead is apparently also jumping through time. Why doesn't he ask her more questions as to why this is happening?
Clearly that is part of the season (or series?) arc. Livia isn't dead. Her body was never found in the plane wreckage. The assumption is she "travelled" like Dan did in this episode before the crash. Where she is now remains to be seen, but Dan hasn't really had much opportunity to question her. Their interaction this time didn't suggest she knew what was happening any more than he does except for her hints about money.

-He knows that he jumps, then why does he do stupid things like get on planes or not bring correct money with him? It seems like he doesn't think of the possible consequences of what happens when he jumps. He does think of some things like the phone and pulling the car over before he jumps. Speaking of the phone, when he uses it in the past, won't those calls come on his bill to his past self?
At this stage it was his second "mission" so he didn't KNOW that it would happen again. You'll notice in this episode when he's driving the newly repaired Mustang that he senses the headache that signals a journey coming on and pulls the car over before he vanishes.

The odd thing I'm finding is that he can bring stuff back and forth with him (money or the old phone charger).

He will eventually have to leave SF, no? I guess he sort of did this time since Tanner was born "30,000 feet over Lake Tahoe", but I guess if they're shooting on location a lot of it will happen there.
Old 10-03-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Two points that are still really bothering me.

Well he has to live his life and this jumping thing only happened once (or one series of times). He has no idea when it will come or how often. Taking a flight doesn't seem unreasonable, I mean it was only supposed to be an hour flight. He's obviously getting better at it, particularly now that he knows it's a reoccuring thing.
Old 10-03-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm really liking this show. I'm not sure how long they can drag this out with just random people every episode but so far it's good. I like that there's an underlying story arc so that should keep me interested for a while.
Old 10-03-07, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
Well he has to live his life and this jumping thing only happened once (or one series of times). He has no idea when it will come or how often. Taking a flight doesn't seem unreasonable, I mean it was only supposed to be an hour flight. He's obviously getting better at it, particularly now that he knows it's a reoccuring thing.

I fully understand about the first flight, but I am referring to the second one that he and his wife tried to get on. After all of the trouble the first time around, you would think that they would be hesitate to try again so soon.
Old 10-03-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Im still torn on this show
i want to like it... but so far, it hasnt done anything to draw me in
Ill probably stick with it a little longer.. but its definitly no quantum leap

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.