DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Chuck -- "Chuck Versus The Helicopter" -- 10/01/07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/513303-chuck-chuck-versus-helicopter-10-01-07-a.html)

LorenzoL 10-01-07 04:20 AM

Chuck -- "Chuck Versus The Helicopter" -- 10/01/07

"Chuck Versus the Helicopter"
Spoiler:
Chuck is beginning to adapt to his new life as a spy. Meanwhile, a doctor who could possibly "cure" Chuck is murdered and he must decide which of his two colleagues to trust.

First Aired: Monday October 1, 2007

DJariya 10-01-07 12:13 PM

Looking forward to this episode. Had a blast watching the pilot.

DJariya 10-01-07 12:32 PM

According to this new story. C.S. Lee, who plays Chuck's evil boss at Buy More will now be a recurring character on the show.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-lo...news-headlines

SteelWill 10-01-07 07:36 PM

I'm really liking this show. The Lost nod was a nice touch.

Timber 10-01-07 07:49 PM

So what was Oceanic flight 815 shot down by?

Kevin M. Dean 10-01-07 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Timber
So what was Oceanic flight 815 shot down by?

Sounded like it started to say "surface" like surface-to-air but then it got all garbled. :)

cdoug57 10-01-07 09:37 PM

Well, 2nd episode was just as entertaining as the first one. i am really enjoying this show.

Loved the Lost info. Really wish they had said a bit more.

Nice to see that Casey may not be so evil at this point. Don't know about six months from now.

Doug

invisiblegt 10-01-07 10:05 PM

I have to be entirely honest... Chuck simply is not doing it for me.

Aside from a few geeky references here and there, it just seems to be poorly written. The action isn't there, and the comedy doesn't feel as though it is really working on any level. Plus, I find myself getting annoyed with the character of Chuck.

I don't know. It feels as though there isn't enough there to fill an entire hour. When I first saw the promos for the show, I believed it was going to be a half-hour series. Now, having seen it, my feelings still stand.

Having said all that, I am going to give the show until the end of the month. But, with limited time, something must be actually "good" to warrant my time, as opposed to simply being "eh."

asianxcore 10-01-07 11:09 PM

Good episode.

I'm really liking the fun and quirkiness this show brings. Already looking forward to next week's episode.

Loved the Guitar Hero talk and the Oldboy poster :)

skatefan20 10-01-07 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Aside from a few geeky references here and there, it just seems to be poorly written. The action isn't there, and the comedy doesn't feel as though it is really working on any level. Plus, I find myself getting annoyed with the character of Chuck.

Pilot was sharp. This second episode had its moments but overall was a clumsy mess. For a goofy sendup on the spy genre, even the acting was on the poor side.

**Is the picture supposed to look that grainy????

Mercury&Solace 10-02-07 12:29 AM

I am enjoying this show so far, watched the pilot and tonights, and its very entertaining. Ya its by no means great, but the characters are likable, and its just quirky fun. The sister is great, and "Mr Awesome" or DR. Awesome or whatever could be a cool character. Good to see Jayne back on TV too. I will stick with it. Plus that blonde chick is smokin' hot, god damn. :drool:

Vipper II 10-02-07 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by skatefan20
**Is the picture supposed to look that grainy????

That's exactly what I was wondering; I don't remember the pilot episode looking like that.

B.A. 10-02-07 07:18 AM

I find it pretty amusing.

Aside from Morgan - I'm digging the cast/characters.

I wasn't digging the bangs on Gift-Shop Girl.

Trigger 10-02-07 08:23 AM

I thought this show was going to be good based on the promos and the pilot held my interest pretty well... this episode was just awful though. It was boring and stupid and long and not even remotely interesting. The only compelling reason to watch the show is to see that hot blonde chick, but that's hardly enough of a reason.

The acting was bad, the writing was bad, and the story seems to have nowhere to go - no legs. The nod to Lost was stupid - I can't think of any shows that lasted beyond one season that gave such a nod to a better and more successful show.

The preview for the next epsiode looks like more of the same - exactly the same. They even said it in the voiceover... "tune in next week as Chuck gets into even more whacky adventures and more action and blah blah..." I thought it was a joke, but they were serious.

The plot for this show is that he has secrets in his brain and he has to be on the run without leaving his job at Best Buy's Geek Squad while two government elite agents take up stupid jobs to protect him. LAAAAME! Sorry NBC, I'll watch just about anything - even things that insult my intelligence, but I don't think I can choke this one down anymore.

I predict this show won't go beyond 6 episodes aired... it'll probably be moved to a different night first around episode 4 since this is NBC instead of Fox, but this show sucks. I'm taking it off my DVR schedule. No offense to anyone who likes this show - I like plenty of stuff that most people think sucks.

MrE 10-02-07 08:28 AM

Chuck was my favorite pilot episode to date, since it came closest to the tone it was going far. Unfortunately it won't take much to push the series into silly nonsense, so I hope the writers can use some restraint. As for Morgan, he strikes me as a nerd Radar ... or is that an oxymoron?

superdeluxe 10-02-07 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trigger
No offense to anyone who likes this show - I like plenty of stuff that most people think sucks.

No offense taken. People tend to like different things :)

starseed1981 10-02-07 09:03 AM

I liked it. And I will continue to watch. But my feelings are iffy on this ones staying power. The story just doesn't seem strong enough to warrant a full season (let alone hour long episodes).

madcougar 10-02-07 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by B.A.
I wasn't digging the bangs on Gift-Shop Girl.

I kept thinking the same thing all episode long.

I like the show. It's harmless fun and blondie is easy on the eyes.

mdc3000 10-02-07 11:57 AM

I thought this one was nearly as good as the pilot and I'm still really digging the show. The comedy and action mix really works for me, I like Chuck's home life (Captain awesome!), work and secret agent stuff... This episode solidified the show for me and I'm totally hooked - my favourite new show.

atlantamoi 10-02-07 12:50 PM

We're out. Not worth the time. There are so many movies I want to see that I'd rather spend my time doing that than an average TV show.

Barings 10-02-07 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I don't know. It feels as though there isn't enough there to fill an entire hour. When I first saw the promos for the show, I believed it was going to be a half-hour series.

I also thought it was going to be 30 minutes. There just isn't enough storyline to justify an hour length for the show. In a perfect world, this show would be 40-45 minutes with tighter editing.

In spite of her teeth (from last week), the female lead is growing on me. She looked especially good with pigtails in her undercover costume.

I'll probably still keep watching to see why Chuck got kicked out of Stanford.

DJariya 10-02-07 12:57 PM

I thought it was a fun episode. I'm not watching this with my brain turned on and over-thinking everything. I like Chuck, Sarah and Casey and their exploits have been entertaining so far.

I just rented What about Brian season 1 and I didn't realize that Chuck's hot sister was Marjorie from that show. The new hair threw me off.

derekjet 10-02-07 01:10 PM

the whole thing reminds of those early fox shows where most of the spy stuff was pretty much on the lame side with poor acting to boot.

2 bad.

deadlax 10-02-07 01:36 PM

i am digging it.

JuryDuty 10-02-07 01:38 PM

I thought about this episode same as the first: the lead character is terrific, the comedic writing is wonderful in the Buy More and "home life" sections, but the action sequences and government conspiracy angle are awful.

If this were a 30-minute comedy about this lead character working at Buy More, I think it'd be wonderful. In the current incarnation though, the whole package comes across as mediocre.

I'll leave it on my season pass for now but certainly won't be a "must see."