Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

FREE Showtime Preview 9/28 - 10/1 (+$6.95/month* for 3 months)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-26-07, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, Showtime is having a free preview this weekend. Enter your ZIP code here to see if you qualify. Note that the number given is 1-888-SHOWTIME, and not your cable provider, who may or may not know about this offer. They also have a promo rate of $6.95/month for 3 months for new subscribers if you sign up by 10/6.

Their site doesn't mention this, but the free preview will probably include their OnDemand programming, which has some pretty good HD content. The best way to take advantage of this is to watch during the free preview from 9/28 - 10/1, and sign up for the $6.95 promo rate on 10/2 (or 10/6 if you really want to be a cheap bastard).

Dexter premieres Sunday night at 9pm!

*Limited time offer ends 10/6/07. Offer available to new Showtime subscribers only, and only in participating systems. Call your local service provider for specific details on offers in your area. Discounted service offer will be $6.95 per month or less, for a period of at least 3 months. After promotional period, regular monthly rates for ordered services will apply. Standard rates, service and installation fees and additional charges may apply. Other restrictions may apply, subject to terms and conditions of service provider. May not be combined with any other Showtime discount or promotion. Pricing, offers and terms subject to change without notice.
Old 09-26-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good catch!

Dish Network is definately doing it: Dish Network Preview Showroom
Old 09-26-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Wait. Can I order for 6 months at that rate and then cancel without a contractual fee? Because that would make this very tempting (I could watch the entire Dexter & Weeds Seasons).
Old 09-26-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm going to call Directv and see if they will just give me Showtime free for a few months. I only want it to watch Dexter.
Old 09-26-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Charter cable in my area is doing this--yay!

Here are the listings for all Showtime channels for these dates in PDF format:

Print pages 55-60 of this document.

Print pages 1-2 of this document.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 09-26-07 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Wow, having gone through the grids, I can't believe there's only ONE show I'm half-way interested in recording. Other than their original programming, they seem to be showing a whole lot of OLD movies that most of us have on DVD already or just don't care to see. What's up with that?

It's also ironic that some movies, such as Nacho Libre--which they advertise on the special weekend page--isn't even being shown that weekend...

Last edited by JuryDuty; 09-26-07 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-26-07, 10:06 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's another offer, for a $25 rebate. Unfortunately the fine print says it cannot be combined with another offer.

http://www.sho.com/site/rebate.do

Form:
http://www.sho.com/site/order/rebate...cq_lp_25rebate

Fine Print:
A $25 Rebate Offer from Showtime is available to new Showtime subscribers only. To receive your $25 Rebate from Showtime, print your name, address and phone number on a 3x5 card and mail the card along with three months of original cable bills indicating your SHOWTIME subscription and dated between 2/1/07 and 3/31/08, to: SHOWTIME Rebate Offer, P.O. Box 1222, Department TBA, Grand Rapids, MN 55745-1222. Your response must be postmarked by 4/14/08 and received by 4/28/08. This offer expires on 12/31/07. This offer cannot be combined with any other SHOWTIME promotional offer and there is a limit of one SHOWTIME promotional offer per household in any 12-month period. Your $25 Rebate from Showtime will be mailed to you within 8-10 weeks after the receipt of your valid submission of the aforementioned documents. Please keep a copy of all documents for your files. This offer is executed and administered solely by SHOWTIME NETWORKS INC. and the offer is good while supplies last.

*Monthly cable TV and equipment fees are additional. Any introductory premium service subscription offers are good only for the time specified; thereafter, standard monthly premium service fees apply. Limited cable required to receive optional services featured. Offer does not apply to premium services already subscribed to by customer. Offer may apply to standard installation/connection on one TV set in wired serviceable areas; other installation/connection or relocation fees may apply to additional TV sets. Offer may vary and other restrictions may apply. All services are not available in all areas.
Old 09-26-07, 12:16 PM

My cable company (Insight) is offering this free promotion.
Do the Showtime channels broadcast movies in their OAR's?
Old 09-26-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I think I'm going to call Directv and see if they will just give me Showtime free for a few months. I only want it to watch Dexter.
Let me know if that works.
Old 09-27-07, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Other than their original programming, they seem to be showing a whole lot of OLD movies that most of us have on DVD already or just don't care to see. What's up with that?

Showtime knows they have alot of people who will be watching that will never order their service, so they give maybe one or two new releases and then fill the rest of the weekend with older stuff. Then, all weekend long they will show previews and commercials of what you could be seeing if you order. Why would they give away the good stuff for free? That is also why they have the series premiering this weekend. They hope that people will watch, enjoy it, and then order.
Old 09-27-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TeamAnS
Showtime knows they have alot of people who will be watching that will never order their service, so they give maybe one or two new releases and then fill the rest of the weekend with older stuff. Then, all weekend long they will show previews and commercials of what you could be seeing if you order. Why would they give away the good stuff for free? That is also why they have the series premiering this weekend. They hope that people will watch, enjoy it, and then order.
That sucks for the people that already pay for showtime. I don't... but if I did I would be pissed to get a weekend of mediocre television.
Old 09-27-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Let me know if that works.
Tried calling Directv last night, but they would only give me one month of Showtime free, so I declined. I'm going to try again with a different cust. service rep, and see if I can't stretch that out at least two months.
Old 09-27-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Bump, the movies have started
Old 09-28-07, 07:39 AM
Suspended

Well, this sucks. I spot the ad in Rolling Stone and tell people about it, and Comcast is blocking the free preview. I tried calling Showtime to see if they could do anything, but 1888SHOWTIME is a forwarding service that connects me back to Comcast.
Old 10-01-07, 09:16 AM

I've been getting the free preview on Comcast.
Old 10-01-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My free preview is 10/19 - 10/21
Old 10-01-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, there was nothing interesting on the SHO preview this weekend. The only flick I bothered to watch was Failure to Launch with Sarah Jessica Parker.
Old 10-01-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Man, there was nothing interesting on the SHO preview this weekend.
Dexter says hi.
Old 10-01-07, 12:48 PM

This Showtime preview was much better than the last. Besides getting all the Showtime channels, I also got Showtime HD and all the TMC and Flix channels.
Old 10-01-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,541 Posts
Not a fan of this channel. If you rent/buy DVD's, then you will pretty much have seen all Showtime's movie selection. I don't think 13 weeks of Dexter is enough for me to subscribe to this. At least HBO has some good sports documentaries in addition to their movies.
Old 10-02-07, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Man, there was nothing interesting on the SHO preview this weekend. The only flick I bothered to watch was Failure to Launch with Sarah Jessica Parker.
I was actually watching this last night as the preview ended. The movie was supposed to run something like 10p to 1145p and they flipped the switch at 1109.