TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 Season 5 Thoughts SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 04:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
24 Season 5 Thoughts SPOILERS

PLEASE NO SEASON 6 or 7 SPOILERS

Wow what an opening ! Palmer and Michelle get whacked and Tony almost ! At first i was sad as fuck about Palmer dying being one of my fav characters but i was too excited to be sad for too long ! This season hit the ground running and had me hooked from the start whilst other seasons took a while to get going. I actually liked the sub story with Mrs Coach and her son. I thought it was cool seeing the son's opinion and view of Jack change, from a bum mooching off his mother to a bad ass hero.

Chloe was awesome this series, love her loyalty to Jack and how sad she was about Edgar's death. The other character highlight of season 5 other than Jack was Aaron Pierce, totally cool. Wayne Palmer was good in this season too. Kim and her sugar daddy were the worst part of this season. Audrey looked hot this season, much more than in Season 4. The guy who played Miles did a great job because he was creepy from day one. I got a laugh out of Bill and Karen getting together at the end. I know there has to be some internal politicing and power struggle stuff but i personally enjoy the show better when it is all of CTU working together without any moles against the true badguys. The way Tony went out was so lame, he deserved to go out with more style than that. And yes, like the rest of you, i also wondered why Jack didn't play the recording over his phone so Chloe could record it the second he got hold of it or try and copy it somehow.

The bad guys were great this season with Julian Sands and Robocop (Peter Weller). Logan was a good different villian because he was really a puppet. And then we had the Chinese at the end and still at large, Logan's partners who seemed to be in total control of him.

I really enjoyed the scenes where Wayne and Jack had to go after the chip in the bank, that was cool, also liked the stuff on the plane which Jack hijacked.
Another scene i enjoyed was Jack talking the young raw engineer on the sub how to stealthly kill the guard with his knife ! that was cool and the fact he suceeded but not quite the right way was cool.

Other highlights, Jack's cold blooded killing of Henderson and Chloe tasering the sleazebag in the hotel, bad ass !

GENERAL THOUGHTS on 24 to DATE

i know people have a problem with the timeline of the show and the fact that events can't possibly happen as fast as indicated. This doesn't bother me at all, i basically don't even take note of the supposed timeline, i just see it as consecutive events and enjoy the ride.

What amazes me is that even though Jack finds himself in many many impossible situations, the way he gets out of them to me comes accross as quite realistic and credible. Granted i never over analyze shows like this so that the enjoyment is taken away like some people do , i let myself enjoy the ride ! The way Jack takes out multiple bad guys is always very well done, u really can believe with his skill and experience that it is possible.

the fact that each season has multiple bad guys is very important, it give the viewers plenty of payoffs and the show is good at building up the bad guys enough that you get a warm feeling when they get whacked. Compare this to Lost which is one long wank without a happy ending, in 24 your cumming all season long !

Does Jack ever have his phone in silent in the field ? talk about giving away your position!

Overall though, when 24 is at his best, it is better than any Hollywood action thriller, it really is. as someone told me in a thread a while ago, it truly is TV crack, great stuff.

Now onto season 6, heard bad things bout this season so my expectations are low but i have enjoyed every season through to 5 heaps.

PLEASE NO SEASON 6 or 7 SPOILERS

Last edited by Original Desmond; 09-20-07 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
At the rate your going, you will probably be able to watch Season 7 live come January 13th.

I do have to agree with you that when 24 is at it's best, it's up to par with any big budget Hollywood action movie...especially in production value.
Old 09-20-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd strongly consider skipping Season 6. Or if you have to watch it, limit it to Episodes 1-4, 17, and 24(the finale sucked but you may as well sit through it). Trust me, it's THAT bad!
Old 09-20-07, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't get the love for this season. Granted, it was far better than season 4, but that's like saying the Bills are better than the Raiders.

Anything that had to do with Lynn McGill ranks right up there as some of the worst writing in 24 history. Bringing Jack back from the dead back back into duty just like that and making this yet another conventional season was also a mistake. And since the Chinese subplot was bad from the start, the "shocking cliffhanger" was just a continuation of that awful writing.

Probably the worst aspect of season five was, in continuing with their trend of having twists for the sake of having them, making Logan the bad guy out of nowhere -- when clearly he wasn't written or played that way at the beginning -- and contradicting all the previous stuff he did as a good guy was just absurd. 24 needs to map out their entire season instead of just making it up as they go along. They know they'll get all 24 episodes aired, so plan ahead!
Old 09-20-07, 01:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Hey, OP, can you do me a favor and place $2000 on the Colts to win Superbowl XLI? thanks. See you in the future!