DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What series should I watch next.. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/511308-what-series-should-i-watch-next.html)

ravan 09-07-07 07:47 PM

What series should I watch next..

Been on a series watching spree lately. Caught up Stargate SG1 and Atlantis finally. Other series I saw / liked would be Babylon 5, Buffy, Angel etc.
I guess that identifies my genre? Currently watching (and liking) Battlestar Galactica, Heroes, Lost etc.

Currently 'backorder' watching Veronica Mars (See other thread - loving it).

I was thinking about Smallville or Roswell? Everwood maybe? Havent seen any of either.

What are some other candidates?

Septemberbaby 09-07-07 07:54 PM

Everybody, say it with me:

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!

-wink- -wink-

Amel 09-07-07 07:54 PM

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice to start Buffy. And it would benefit you to listen to that advice :)

I like Smallville and Roswell alot, but both kinda get a little too un-even a little too often. Buffy is pretty solid all the way through.

das Monkey 09-07-07 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ravan
I was thinking about Smallville or Roswell? Everwood maybe? Havent seen any of either.

Of those three, the best is <i>Everwood</i> by far, but it doesn't fit with the others you listed. Both <i>Smallville</i> and <i>Roswell</i> have their moments early, but become so terrible that's it's not worth wasting any of your life getting invested in them. The show that most perfectly fits your list would be <i>Firefly</i>, but I suspect it's too perfect, i.e. you just forgot to mention it.

Have you considered <i>Farscape</i>? It's unlike anything else, but it does have a snarky humor like the Whedon shows, an epic space story, and some of the most incredible visual effects ever on television. Another thought might be JMS's <i>Jeremiah</i>, if you can acquire the second season.

If you do watch <i>Everwood</i> and enjoy it, other good selections for you might be <i>American Dreams</i> and <i>Friday Night Lights</i>.

das

ravan 09-07-07 09:47 PM

Yes I forgot to list Firefly - loved it of course.. duh :)
Farscape I also did a while ago - I liked it although it got a bit too benbrowderish towards the end.

I'll gear up for Everwood or FNL/AD after I'm done w/ Ms. Mars. (1x09 and counting)!

TimeandTide 09-07-07 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Everybody, say it with me:

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!!

Good call. Only five episodes into the season one DVD, and it's already my all-time favorite TV show.

BigDogg 09-07-07 10:19 PM

no to threadjack, but can anyone recommend me a good comedy.....just finsihed watchin all three seasons of the Office so i'm really looking to find another hilarious show

das Monkey 09-07-07 11:03 PM

<i>Arrested Development</i>.

das

LivingINClip 09-07-07 11:05 PM

Only do Smallville, if you can live with the fact you're watching a show simply for the season opener and the season ending... Everything that happens in between those two episodes is simply filler.

I'd recommend Buffy - I just started watching some of that. Not near as bad as I imagined it'd be.

MechanicalMan 09-07-07 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogg
no to threadjack, but can anyone recommend me a good comedy.....just finsihed watchin all three seasons of the Office so i'm really looking to find another hilarious show

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and 30 Rock are both good. And of course, Arrested Development if you haven't seen it yet. There is a web-only episode of Sunny that you could watch to get a taste of that show. The episodes really don't need to be watched in order, so I don't think it should matter too much if you haven't seen the first two seasons.

critterdvd 09-07-07 11:29 PM

Everwood is a great, funny, beautiful series. But only the first season is available on DVD, and the future seasons are a little uneven. Seasons one and two are amazing, three is a little wacky (there are several really weird storylines including one about a woman on the run from the Mafia), but season four is a return to the previous seasons in quality.

ROSWELL is another amazing show, but the tone changes from season to season. Season 1 is a dark, suspenseful, adventure with a little bit of teen drama thrown in as filler - and to add to the characters emotional weight. Many believe the show went downhill from season one, but personally I think season two was the best. Unlike the semi-realistic qualities of season one (how realisitic can a show about alien's truly be) this one is a very colorful comic-book-esq adventure. And finally the third season is more sobering, more soapy, but still very engaging...

Both are great series that deserve to be watched. I don't know what your tastes are but you might want to research "Alias" as well as the little-know satire "Popular."

Jimmy James 09-08-07 12:06 AM

If you want something funny and short, I would highly recommend picking up Wonderfalls at some point.

DJariya 09-08-07 03:06 AM

Rent or buy Friday Night Lights Season 1 now!

turborobb 09-08-07 05:30 AM

If you like Buffy, Angel, and Stargate SG1, I would suggest the new Doctor Who series. Like those shows it's really well written, but fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

ps, I'm loving Veronica Mars too.

Baron Of Hell 09-08-07 08:21 AM

Dead like Me - original, funny, great all around. Sad at times.

Blade - first few episodes aren't good but it gets good at about the third episodes. Girls are hot, action is violent, story is cool.

nateman 09-08-07 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogg

Well naturally I’m going to recommend Scrubs, if you don’t laugh, you’re dead inside, or you just don’t like Zach Braff. Definitely the funniest comedy in years & it’s sort of the ‘forgotten’ NBC ‘Comedy Night Done Right’ comedy.

30 Rock could be the next great comedy, It’s Seinfeld’s high quality of humor mixed with The Larry Sander Show’s ‘guest’s playing themselves’ with a hit of Scrubs wacky & zaniness. It’s also (besides Scrubs) has one of the best ensemble casts since NewsRadio.

My Name is Earl is good but it’s not nearly as laugh out loud hilarious as 30 Rock or Scrubs, it’s really fun & enjoyable though. It doesn’t take itself as serious as Scrubs but it does have more of the ‘lessons’ theme than 30 Rock.

The Larry Sanders Show is absolutely brilliant & I couldn’t recommend it enough. It’s smart, funny & it’s fun. It’s HBO’s best comedy hands down & possibly HBO’s best series.

I could recommend you a sh*tload of sitcoms/comedies but I’d be here all day, so here my TOP 3…

The Larry Sanders Show (season 1 on DVD & a 'best of' DVD set)
Scrubs (seasons 1-5 on DVD)
30 Rock (season 1 on DVD)

mnementh 09-08-07 09:02 AM

I dare you to watch every episode of Dark Shadows.

TGM 09-08-07 09:35 AM

Supernatural

from my review at www.dvdspot.com

Supernatural, season one - 3/5

This show is a complete guilty pleasure and I am ashamed of myself for liking it. Basically, someone had the idea to rip-off every horror movie cliché imaginable, condense each down into a 45 minute television program, attempt to tie it all together with some contrived story of two Abercrombie & Fitch underwear models roaming the countryside ala Kung-Fu in a black '67 Chevy Impala fighting demons, spirits, and debunking urban legends. This show brings absolutely nothing new to the horror genre, however it is mindless brain-candy, and a great way to kill 45 minutes, and much to my surprise, there are some rather surprisingly gruesome & bloody deaths (for basic television) and the acting is not quite vomit inducing. Although there seems to be an overall story arc, each show is rather self-contained which makes it the perfect thing to watch on DVD during the dog-days of summer when we are all suffocating under the bulk of reality television waiting for the next primetime season to begin. Look, 22 episodes for $19.99, it's worth a gamble on your part... I think.

http://www.isnnews.net/zocalo/images...atural-dvd.jpg

http://www.dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1640532658

hippie68 09-08-07 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Good call. Only five episodes into the season one DVD, and it's already my all-time favorite TV show.

Friday Night Lights.
I am at the exact same spot and I couldn't agree more.
Loving this show!!!!!

DaveCole 09-08-07 09:46 AM

I would recommend 4400. Just started the second season and can't walk away from the tv.

Wolf359 09-08-07 10:10 AM

Why is Friday Night Lights such a good show? If you don't care squat about football will I still enjoy it?

hippie68 09-08-07 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Why is Friday Night Lights such a good show? If you don't care squat about football will I still enjoy it?

I am female and not into football. I enjoy this show because it seems like an honest portrayal of how the state of Texas LOVES their high school teams. I started watching last week and can't stop. For me it's one of the most emotional shows I've ever seen. I don't mean I sit there and cry each episode but it does stir up feelings of sadness, excitement and overall just makes me feel good when watching it. The actor who plays Coach is just outstanding and the way it is shot and edited is fantastic.
I would suggest watching the first two episodes and see if you enjoy it.
I also read that they are giving a money back guarantee on the season one DVD's. If you don't like it, you can get your money back.

Septemberbaby 09-08-07 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359

ABSOLUTELY!
POSITIVELY!
WITHOUT A DOUBT!

I HATE FOOTBALL and I still think this is the best show on Tv. Nothing else comes close.

critterdvd 09-08-07 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by DaveCole
I would recommend 4400. Just started the second season and can't walk away from the tv.

But unfortunately the show losses alot of its charm and excitement by season 3... I loved the show, but found myself watching only a handful of episodes this season...

Chauzer 09-08-07 02:08 PM

everwood