Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching X-Files for the first time... Anyone else? Discuss!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well like Im sure others did, I got all the seasons at BB for $10 thanks to a great coupon and Ive started watching everything for the first time. Growing up I had seen maybe 2 or 3 eps but theyre long forgotten now. Back than I didnt care for the show but now with all the crap on its easy to see how it excels everything else on TV today.

Im about to finish season 2 and I just finsihed the Colony episodes. Im really enjoying everything so I thought Id make this for people now discovering the show or others who want to talk about the show despite it being canceled several years ago. Of course if some of you join in, dont post spoilers of stuff that has yet to happen!!
Old 09-04-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Well like Im sure others did, I got all the seasons at BB for $10 thanks to a great coupon and Ive started watching everything for the first time. Growing up I had seen maybe 2 or 3 eps but theyre long forgotten now. Back than I didnt care for the show but now with all the crap on its easy to see how it excels everything else on TV today.

Im about to finish season 2 and I just finsihed the Colony episodes. Im really enjoying everything so I thought Id make this for people now discovering the show or others who want to talk about the show despite it being canceled several years ago. Of course if some of you join in, dont post spoilers of stuff that has yet to happen!!
Ouch - that hurts. I was 19 when the show started.

Anyway, the Colony/Endgame stuff was awesome. I believe Season 2 had the infamous "circus freaks" standalone episode as well. Seaosn 3 I think was probably the best of them all. Such a great series.....for a while.
Old 09-04-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do yourself a favor and stop after season 5. Watch the movie and pretend that that's the series finale.
Old 09-04-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do yourself a favor and stop after season 5. Watch the movie and pretend that that's the series finale.
I seconded on series finale.

There are several great episodes in season 6 to 9.
Old 09-04-07, 04:21 PM

Yea I hear that alot how the series went really down after S5. But For $10 a season, I cant go wrong really, at least to see how it all ends. Besides, I havent bought the movie yet, will get it on DD next 20% sale.

You know I forgot, one epside I saw recently was a season 6 episode. I waited to catch a rerun of it cause its a Bruce Campbell episode. Plus I saw Adam Baldwin comes out alot in the final season, that should be good!

I have 7 episodes left in season 2 so I havent seen anything on circus freaks, unless youre refering to the Lone Gunmen
Old 09-04-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yep. It's sad to think there is a generation growing up now without the X-files in their lives.
Old 09-04-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep. It's sad to think there is a generation growing up now without the X-files in their lives.
What year did the x-files start, was it 93 or 94? I was 12 then and enjoyed it quite a bit then but pretty much stopped watching after the movie came out. But I can't wait for the whole series set thats on the way.
Old 09-04-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I was 23. And it's been five years since the show was canceled! I was 19 when the Simpsons debuted!

I (like many others) think Season 3 is the best season of the show. So hope you enjoy it.
Old 09-04-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think 6 was better than 5. Season 6 has the Dreamland two-parter which is two of the best XFiles episodes from any season. The standalone episodes in 6 are really good - the conspiracy eps, not so good.
Old 09-04-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was 10 or 11 when it started, and I remember watching it regularly on Friday nights. BUT, once it switched to Sundays I never was a regular viewer after that. I just didn't follow it over. I would see the occasional episode, but never full seasons.
Old 09-04-07, 11:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't stop watching it after Season 5. If you're that far into the seasons, you might as well finish it...IMO, it did start going down hill a little after Season 6...But there were plenty of great episodes in Season 7 and 8..Season 9 was the weakest season..But I still don't think you can just pretend that those seasons didn't exist..Then again, it is my favorite TV show of all time...For all those feeling old, I was 6 when it aired ....Anyway...Finish all the seasons..Even if the last couple of years weren't as strong, don't deny yourself.
Old 09-05-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. After the movie, the series was pretty bad and they stretched the whole Mythology story out for so long, no one cared anymore.
If I remember right, Carter was originally going to stop after season 5 or 6 but FOX kept giving him more money and they kept it going on way past it's time.
Old 09-05-07, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show did go downhill during Season 5, but I felt things got better with Season 8. I even felt season 8's finale was the perfect series finale for the show. Unfortunately Season 9 was a disaster from beginning to end. Just horrible!
Old 09-05-07, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Watch it all and form your own opinion. After all the bashing you can only be positively surprised. I know I was.
All 9 seasons are worth a watch.
Old 09-05-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous

Have fun
Old 09-05-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and honestly I felt season 8 was stronger than season 7

although I will agree with everyone in saying season 9 was pretty bad..but heck, if you had already put 8 seasons into a show..might as well finish it out.
Old 09-05-07, 07:53 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

I can honestly say this is one show I wish I had never seen before......just so I could go back and watch them all again without knowing how the epsiodes turn out.

If you picked them up for $10 a piece then you definitely owe it to watch them all and form your opinion. Like many have said, the latter seasins may not have been the ebst but there were still plenty of excellent episodes which you'll enjoy.

Personally I can't wait for the Ultimate Collection to get released so that I can start watching it all again from Season 1.

Roll on November 6th....
Old 09-05-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are episodes in seasons 6-8 worth seeing, but sometime during Season 7 the show gets to be a real chore if you're watching straight through on DVD. I will admit there were some good Robert Patrick episodes in S8, but S9 was almost a total waste.
Old 09-05-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by benh911
But I still don't think you can just pretend that those seasons didn't exist.
Sure you can. It's very easy.
Old 09-05-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always felt they missed their chance to make X-Files a movie-only franchise after S5.

It's cool they're working on another film, but since it will be out 11 years after the first film and 7 years since the series ended, I have a feeling most people won't be too interested in seeing it. It'll just be us die-hards.
Old 09-05-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always felt they missed their chance to make X-Files a movie-only franchise after S5.
Actually, I think that was the original plan, but Fox threw a ton of money at Chris Carter to keep the show going.
Old 09-05-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did you get each season for $10? I've been waiting for years to get the entire show for under $100.

And of course, from "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies:

Watchin' X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
Old 09-05-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to be starting this for the first time soon as well. I only bought 1-6 and don't have the movie yet. Im sure when I get to the end Ill decide I want to check out 7-9 too.
Old 09-05-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
I'm going to be starting this for the first time soon as well. I only bought 1-6 and don't have the movie yet. Im sure when I get to the end Ill decide I want to check out 7-9 too.
Make sure to watch the movie directly after season 5
Old 09-05-07, 03:05 PM

Anyway, the Colony/Endgame stuff was awesome. I believe Season 2 had the infamous "circus freaks" standalone episode as well. Seaosn 3 I think was probably the best of them all. Such a great series.....for a while.
Okay I saw the Circus Freaks ep last night and thought it was great! Michael Anderson and, I forget his name, Vincent Spontoni (dude from Amadues) were great. Why was the episode infamous? Had some great laughs and was real quirky I thought; its one of my favs.

That episode with the invisible elephant and animals was pretty good albiet different. The intro with the elephant on the street was cool... was it real? Looked like it when they had a Semi speeding head on into it.

Heat, I got them all when BB has a sale for all fox shows for $20, plus I used a $10 off any fox show coupon. Making them alll $10 Naturally as soon as I bought them all they announced the series box.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.