Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

is "Brothers & Sisters" any good?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-01-07, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noticed that emily van camp (from everwood) is in it, so im thinking about watching season 1..

what type of show is it, is it like any other shows on tv now or that were on before? anything close to everwood?

thanks
Old 09-01-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,433 Posts
I think a great show and season 1 was solid. It's more or less like a family soap opera with topics like Infidelity (which is one of the primary issues the show focuses on)

Solid cast as well:
Sally Field
Ron Rifkin (from Alias)
Calista Flockhart
Emily Van Camp (she doesn't appear until late in the season)
Tom Skerritt (he's in the pilot and has sporatic guest appearances)
Rob Lowe
Balthazar Getty
Patricia Wettig

If you enjoy the family drama genre, then I think you may like this show......Season 2 starts September 30th so I don't know if you can catch up in time by watching the DVD's when they are released September 18th...I believe Season 1 was 23 episodes.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-01-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-01-07, 11:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Once you get past the first couple of episodes that were before Greg Berlanti became show runner the show is great.
Old 09-02-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unlike Everwood, I think B&S is more comedic and much less drama. When there are dramatic moments they tend to be less intense than Everwood. It's a solid show with a great cast.
Old 09-02-07, 08:07 AM

Yeah its pretty good. And as already said, once you get a couple episodes in it gets much better. My wife loves this show and is probably her favorite.
Old 09-02-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,959 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
Once you get past the first couple of episodes that were before Greg Berlanti became show runner the show is great.
Are you referring to when Marti Noxon was one of the writers/producers on the show? I heard Berlanti will be devoting more attention to Eli Stone this season and handed the show runner duties to someone else.
Old 09-02-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This was easily my favorite show of last season (right in front of "Men in Trees"). It is a typical family/drama but it definately has moments of comedy that keep everything fresh and the characters on their toes.

Although I agree with the above posters that things don't really start to get good until around episode 5/6 and then become brilliant around episode 14 (about when Emily Van Camp shows up). But the 'pilot' is one of the best in recent memory. I can't wait for season 2!
Old 09-02-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a show that I fell in love with. I watched the first couple of episodes, and while I liked it, it didn't really jump out at me as much as I thought it would. It wasn't until around the 5th episode that it really took off, for me. I'm now hooked! I'm going to be buying the First Season set, when it is released on September 18th. As was said, above, it's got a very solid cast!
Old 09-02-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check it out on disc for sure. It is a very good family dramedy and has brilliant casting. I liked it from the start, but when Greg Berlanti takes the reigns is where it gets REALLY good. Can't wait for season 2.