DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Question for Comcast customers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/509806-question-comcast-customers.html)

namrfumot 08-21-07 09:10 PM

Question for Comcast customers

I'm looking to get digi cable and the net in my new place (no phone).

Comcast has a decent package but they're trying to wallop me with a $99 installation fee. If I throw a fit will they waive it? Any offer or coupons to get around it?

Red Dog 08-21-07 09:42 PM

That seems out of line. Tell them you are debating between them and satellite/Verizon (or whomever your local phone/DSL is).

Jimmy James 08-22-07 06:28 AM

You can also try signing up at a store like Circuit City or Best Buy if they just won't budge. I think there are some areas where these stores have relationships set up with Comcast that make it really lucrative for the retailer to sign up customers, so they offer better deals than you get just calling up.

DVD Josh 08-22-07 07:18 AM

I've never been charged an install by either Comcast when I had them or Cox now unless there was a physical install involved (putting in new jacks). Is that the case with you?

Dignam 08-22-07 05:12 PM

clizzick

Comcast HSI $19.99/6 months
+ free modem
+ $125 cash back

If your new place is a condo/apartment, ask the management if they have a local rep. Some will give you deals if you sign up directly with them instead of calling Comcast yourself.

I wouldn't pay any install fee unless they credit/rebate the same amount on your bill.

Icculus 08-22-07 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dignam
clizzick

Comcast HSI $19.99/6 months
+ free modem
+ $125 cash back

If your new place is a condo/apartment, ask the management if they have a local rep. Some will give you deals if you sign up directly with them instead of calling Comcast yourself.

I wouldn't pay any install fee unless they credit/rebate the same amount on your bill.

I've read a few horror stories about Comcastoffers.com over at Fatwallet....

I've never paid for an installation over the course of four different moves. Each time Comcast has tried to charge me I've told them I have no problem with going with Sattelite if that's what it takes for me to save money. One of the installers actually tried to tell me he was losing money by doing my install because I wasn't paying. I'm pretty sure they're not independent contractors, and, if they are, maybe they should work somewhere else if their company can make them work for free... I think he gave up on that whole angle when my response was "Yeah... that sucks.... the tv is in that room over there.

bboisvert 08-22-07 07:07 PM

In my experience, if you throw a minor hissy-fit over the phone and threaten to go with another service (DirectTV) etc... they'll waive the fee.

Last time I signed up for Comcast, it was during a promo period where there was no installation. So I got off easy.

But there's no way in Hades I'd pay $99 for frigging cable installation. Let them know that, and it'll likely be free.

Dignam 08-22-07 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
But there's no way in Hades I'd pay $99 for frigging cable installation. Let them know that, and it'll likely be free.

Me either. First, I'd try to figure out where the hell Hades is, and how the fuck I got there! I wouldn't be worrying about installing cable in a place I don't live.

nazz 08-24-07 02:40 PM

Yeah, just tell them DirecTV will set you up in four rooms for free. They'll do what they have to.

frenchy 08-26-07 05:38 PM

My place is already wired for regular cable. Last week I just went down to my local Comcast customer service office and told them I would like to upgrade to digital. Walked out with two cable boxes. Plugged them in myself, no charge for installation.